April 15, 2014
1. We’re winding down Birthday Season in our house (I’m not even kidding: seven birthdays in six weeks, just between our immediate family/in-laws. CRAZYPANTS.) Last weekend was Zach’s party and there were 16 kids under the age of eight in my house. It wasn’t warm enough to be outside, so, uh, it got a little loud. But everyone had fun and even though Zach got hives from the egg whites in the buttercream icing (second egg-related hive issue in a month, so we’re headed to an allergist), the day was a success. (Some of these pictures were taken by Melissa!)
Can we just compare these pictures for a moment? Left is Maggie and Oliver in 2008. Right is Maggie and Oliver at the party. SIGH.
And then he started doing this so hey! Not really much baby left in him anymore.
2. AND HEY GUESS WHO ELSE HAD A BIRTHDAY GUESS GUESS GUESS???
(It was me. I HAD A BIRTHDAY. THIRTY-FIVE, YO.)
Huge thanks to Dan for making my birthday weekend fantastic. He managed the kids on his own all weekend so I could do yard work and go to the mall and not cook dinner or hardly wipe any butts for like two days.
Yesterday was my actual real birthday (but I spread it out over the whole weekend because DUH) and the girls sang to me after my shower. It was hugely adorable and only mildly awkward considering I was in my underwear with a towel on my head.
3. And now we look ahead to Easter. I always feel like kind of a jerk showing up for church on Easter because, uh, we’ve been terrible Church Go-ers for about five years now. But I think I might rally the troops on Sunday and get us all out the door in moderately presentable clothing and go to church. Then it’s lunch with my family and dinner with Dan’s family. Probably some chocolate and Easter baskets in there somewhere. I suppose I should… do something for those? huh. Right.
4. So a freaky/weird/goofy story from our date night on Saturday. We were driving back from the city (about a 30 minute drive, mostly on the highway) and we stopped a few miles from home to pick up some milk at a convenience store (because of course we did, it was Date Night! Perfect for errands at a gas station!) I waited in the car and it was quiet and I kept hearing a muffled, electronic beeping sound. I reminded me of the sound my phone makes when the battery is low, but my phone was in my hand and charged, and when Dan got back in the car, he checked his phone and was also fine. There was nothing else in the car that could have made that sound- nothing in the backseat that we saw, or the trunk. Weird.
The next day, I decided to take his car to the mall instead of the van, so before I left I took a good peek under all the seats and everywhere to see if I could find what could have made that sound (by now the sound was gone, presumably because the battery of whatever Thing was beeping was now dead). I didn’t see anything, and as I was walking around the front of the car, I spotted our baby monitor tucked oh-so-perfectly in the corner of the windshield and the hood of the car. THAT WAS THE BEEPING!!! Dan had brought it out the day before while Zach was sleeping and he was cleaning out the garage. Which means: we drove about 50 miles round trip on the highway and the thing NEVER MOVED. And it still works. Miracle!!
5. Dan is firming up plans for a Paris work trip next month. Any volunteers to watch my kids for a week so I can go with him?
…Hello? Bueller? ANYONE? IS THIS THING ON???
6. Audrey and Zach are starting swimming lessons on Saturday! Maggie would be too except her class was full, and also because we’ve decided to try private lessons for her this summer (she is Less Than Comfortable in the water and we think some one-on-one time with an instructor will be good for her) For Audrey, I’m hoping it will help to teach her some basic swimming skills, and for Zach, it’s really just an excuse to play in the water and see his little belly in swim trunks. Because seriously, that’s gonna be cute.
7. Random picture time!