March 14, 2014
1. Hey so remember when Audrey was sick? Guess who started with The Stomach Fun two nights later? ME! Motherhood: Where Immune Systems Cry For Mercy On A Weekly Basis. I was down for about 24 hours and the worst part was that after the first 8 or so, I felt so much better and thought I was done. And then… well, I wasn’t. I’m just thankful it all happened on a day when everyone was scheduled for daycare because there is no way I could be a parent in that situation. Dan picked the kids up and sent me upstairs and I didn’t see anyone until morning when I woke up feeling human again.
Barfing makes me cry. True story.
2. But I would not be deterred from my weekend plans! The girls and I had tickets for Disney On Ice and I was SO bummed when it looked like we might not be going but everyone stayed healthy and we had such a great night. Audrey was hilarious, clapping so enthusiastically after every musical number and squealing with delight when all of the princesses were on the ice (except for Rapunzel and the girls from Frozen, WTH?? Get with the program and know your audience, DISNEY!) We were there with Maggie’s Daisy troop, so she had a great time giggling with her friends and being silly and eating too much popcorn.
3. I finally- after almost three years- painted the butlers’ pantry and now the patched flood-wall is covered up and oh, I am so so happy.
Next up is the kitchen, but we’re having our handy contractor neighbor guys do some heavy-duty work in there over this weekend first. Stay tuned for that fun update!
4. Dan has been in Louisville, Kentucky all week so along with what seems like 90% of my friends, I was a Lone Wolf with the kids. (We really need a Mom Commune where we can all get together when our husbands are out of town. Having another adult-person around is THE BOMB.) Unfortunately, this is starting to become our norm after years of him hardly ever needing to travel for work. And I’m not going to say that I am getting used to it, but I’ll admit that it’s not as hard as it was before. Partly because the kids are getting older (especially Zach), partly because I totally sent them to daycare an extra day this week because DUH, and partly because HEY, NO BARFING IN THE EYES THIS TRIP YAY! (every work trip/Lone Wolf experience will be forever compared to the hell that was last December’s trip. TERRIBLE TERRIBLE.) Even though we’re all getting used to his trips, I have trouble relaxing after bedtime without Dan here. So between falling asleep later than normal and Zach deciding to party at 4am a few mornings this week, I am pretty wiped out today. But Dan is on his plane home now so wooooohoooo!
5. Audrey cut her hair at daycare on Monday. I got a call about it first, so we knew to expect… something when we picked her up. But it really wasn’t bad at all (not the awful picture I was seeing in my head!) You can hardly see it when her hair is down, possibly because she has so darn MUCH HAIR. I’m just glad we didn’t have to chop it all off to even it out! We had a talk about scissors and her preschool teacher had a talk with her and the whole class about scissors and yay, my kid is The Bad Example, Don’t be like Audrey!
I feel like we’ve gotten away easy with the haircutting milestone, assuming this is the only time she does it. Maggie did it once, but it was in a similar spot and wasn’t catastrophic. Honestly, I was just glad that the phone call from daycare was about her hair and not a fever or barf. PERSPECTIVE.
6. I started a bullet journal.
I’m not 100% sure how I’m going to adapt this system to my needs, but I’m really excited about it. I’ve been feeling very scattered and disorganized lately (mostly because I’ve been scattered and disorganized lately) and was thinking about how I need a new notebook or something to keep track of stuff. My post-it system of scribbles was obviously failing. I will still live and die by my Google Calendar and the lovely reminders it sends me, at least for a while. But I love having a nice, neat place in which to write things and organize my thoughts. Nowadays, my journal-y thoughts are less about that cute boy in English class and more hey, don’t forget to wash the girls’ sheets this weekend!
My life is lame, but I have a pretty purple notebook so there.
7. It was 71 degrees on Tuesday. Yesterday it was minus something. I don’t even know. But we played outside a lot the first few days of the week and it was delightful. Bring it on, Spring. We are so ready for you.
Happy weekend, everybody!