taking a time out

This weekend, Dan and I escaped to the big city (a whopping 25 miles away!) for an overnight date and oh man, you guys. It was just what we needed.

Hotel view

Mango tango, baby

We are super lucky and my mom is almost always willing to watch the kids for us for a few hours, but this was the first time she was doing an overnight babysitting job with not just the girls, but the BABY. Who had a CRAP WEEK OF SLEEP last week! I was nervous for her. So nervous. I didn’t want him to torture her at 2am with his crib gymnastics and babbling because that’s just mean. She was doing such a nice thing for us! She didn’t deserve to get no sleep! (Spoiler alert: he slept 10+ hours for her without a peep. GOOD BOY.)

Back to our date. We started the date by seeing a movie in the afternoon. Anchorman 2, which was just as ridiculous and stupid and hilarious as we had hoped. Then we headed down to Pittsburgh and checked into our hotel room and then there was dinner and fancy clothes and delicious food and no kids and we could have conversations about things not involving other people’s digestive systems.

I told Maggie I'd take a picture wearing all the jewelry she picked out for me for Christmas. Love it all!
Maggie got me all of this jewelry. She’s my personal stylist and she’s way better at it than I am. AND SHE’S SIX.

Perfect occasion for hot pink leggings. #datenight
HOT PINK LEGGINGS JUST BECAUSE.

Dinner was completely ridiculous & amazing. Dessert too. Apple brown betty. OMG.
And dessert, because low-carb eating goes out the window on date night. As it should.

But of course the thing everyone is wondering about… and the answer is yes. Yes we did. WE SO TOTALLY DID AND IT WAS THE MOST AMAZING THING EVER.

We slept. Ten glorious hours. Without interruption.

(Wait. What were YOU thinking about?)

It wasn’t a week-long cruise or anything (it’s going to be a few years before I’m brave enough to ask anyone to watch all of the kids for more than a night or two!) but it’s not something we’ve ever done before so it felt NEW and EXCITING and FRIVOLOUS.

The last few months in our house have been a bit chaotic. It’s nut enough with three small kids and school and work and the holidays, and we had some illness on top of all of that. I’ve been feeling frazzled and out of touch with Dan, and I’m pretty sure he’s been the same way. Our days sometimes feel like an unending merry-go-round of feeding and wiping small people and dealing with whining and breaking up fights and performing a million mundane tasks and by the time the kids are in bed, we don’t even want to LOOK at another human being, not even each other. I am touched out and talked out and just done. So we end up acting more like roommates than a married couple and that kind of stinks. I think we both realize that this phase is temporary so we slog through, day after day, thinking “Tomorrow I’ll make time for you!” and then it doesn’t happen. Taking a break from being Mommy and Daddy was much needed. Much needed and WONDERFUL.

Someday we will miss the kids and wish they were small again. We remind each other of this on the really hard, ridiculous days. But while we’re in this crazy part of our family life, it’s nice to be able to take a time out and remember that we really DO like each other and that’s probably why we ended up here in the first place :)

Dan and Jen - Photobooth 1997 - Prom - Dancing 1997-01-01 Dan and Jen - New Years
Us, in another lifetime. Or 1997. Same difference.

1. Jesabes
    @jesabesblog

We’re desperately trying to figure out some time to do this before the baby is born! Looks wonderful.

Jan 14 2:25 pm

2. Erica
    @Polkadot_hippo

This sounds amazing. I am so happy for you and I’m lusting after your 10 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

Jan 14 2:26 pm

3. K
    @twoadults

You are looking SAUCY in those leggings. As always, you have the best legs.

Jan 14 2:30 pm

4. Michelle M

ahh, THERE is the hair I remember so well! #nineteenninetyseven

Jan 14 2:46 pm

5. suz
    @souphead

you two are ADORABLE!

I’m glad you had such a great night. We have our third (ever. yes, really) date night on Sat. I’m scared all we’ll talk about is the non-sleeping toddler we’re leaving at home with her first ever (yes, really) non-family babysitter.

Jan 14 2:53 pm

With 3 little ones at home too, I SO totally get this: “Our days sometimes feel like an unending merry-go-round of feeding and wiping small people and dealing with whining and breaking up fights and performing a million mundane tasks and by the time the kids are in bed, we don’t even want to LOOK at another human being, not even each other. I am touched out and talked out and just done. So we end up acting more like roommates than a married couple….” I could not have said it better myself.

That’s exactly how I feel. I don’t even want to look at another human being, so I get annoyed at him for EXISTING. For daring ot EXIST near me. Ha. Oh man, I hope it passes :)

Jan 14 4:10 pm

7. Erica
    @ericahuff

I really like the nearby-but-still-different city escape plan. We do this with San Antonio about once a year. I also really like dessert.

Jan 14 4:21 pm

8. Lea

Good for you guys! Looks like so much fun, and having time alone is seriously priceless. We really need to do this, and I hope we can sooner than later!

Jan 14 8:36 pm

It’s so awesome of your mom to watch the kids for you guys! Sounds like you had a great time! :) And I agree, time alone as a couple and away from the house is much needed every now and then.

G and I really need to do this. We’re kinda nuts because we stay up later than we should (pretty much every night) to have time together… but it’s not very relaxing because we’re still here at home, so it’s like, “oh hey, I should fold some laundry while we’re talking,” etc. It’s been almost 6 years since we spent the night alone anywhere and I don’t know when it will happen but it will be glorious when it does!

Jan 15 11:54 am

10. Erin G
    @ebum1101

Oh man I loooooove overnight dates (I might have mentioned that in my blathering video). So jealous! Also Pittsburgh looks more beautiful than I ever think of it being. Really really lovely. Glad y’all got a break!

Jan 22 3:07 pm