December 17, 2013
1. Audrey broke out in hives last Thursday. So after all that happened the last few weeks, we went BACK to the pediatrician to make sure I was right about my guess: she is allergic to amoxicillin. This was her third time having it, but Dan and I are both allergic, so from this point forward I’m just going to assume that nobody in our house is allowed to have anything ending in -cillin. Because the POOR KID’S FACE, you guys. She even had them on her cute little bum.
Thankfully two days of Benadryl and Claritin calmed things down and by Sunday night, she had zero spots left. Hooray!
2. BUT THEN! Maggie woke up Monday morning complaining of a sore neck and throat. I looked at her neck and I could SEE her swollen lymph nodes from the outside. No fever, and no visible spots on her throat. But given the fact that we just had strep in the house, I took her to the pediatrician anyway. I feel like I LIVE THERE. Four visits in 2 weeks! Insanity! The rapid strep test came back negative, but the doctor sent us home with a sample of antibiotics to take while we wait for the 2-day test results. After looking at Maggie pretty thoroughly, she felt it was pretty likely that it’s strep. So no school and more medicine. A terrible broken record!
3. But enough about GERMS. We actually had a great weekend. We went to see Santa! Everyone was mostly healthy for like 18 hours and we were able to squeeze it in! Also a baby in a tie! And another one in a bowtie!
We also decorated cookies with my mom and it snowed a lot.
And! I went to see Catching Fire with my mom on Friday. Fantastic movie. Loved it.
4. I’m about 90% done with Christmas shopping. I think. Santa is done except for some stocking stuffers, and everything is wrapped and hidden in the suitcases in our office closet. I still have some odds and ends for other family gifts and one stop at the post office, but mostly, DONE. WHEW.
5. Do you all know about GroopDealz? Okay so the spelling on the name is KIND OF irritating, but man I have found some CUTE stuff on there for ridiculously cheap. Some adorable necklaces for less than $5, a pair of fleece-lined leggings that feel like sweatpants for $8, a striped cardigan, some headbands and personalized puzzles for the girls for Christmas… I actually had to unsubscribe from their daily emails because it was just too easy to buy a bunch of stuff. Their mobile site works and it works WELL and that’s just dangerous while I’m eating breakfast and reading my emails, you know? But I do check out the site every few days to see if something awesome catches my eye and I let myself get it because FIVE BUCKS FOR THAT NECKLACE, I have EARNED that with every drop of medicine I’ve coaxed into my three-year-old this month! (That link is my referral, just FYI. If you sign up from there, I get a credit! yay!)
6. Audrey panicked in the car on the way home from visiting Santa. “But I didn’t get my Jasmine costume!” It appears she’s been confused about how this Santa thing works. She’s been kind of going along for the ride with all the holiday stuff but I don’t think she quite understands yet. I cannot WAIT for Christmas morning for her! (and yes, she’s getting a Jasmine costume.)
7. We are daydreaming and brainstorming about vacation spots for this summer, probably because of all the SNOW and GERMS we’ve been dealing with. We need something to look forward to! We want to stick with something low-key and beachy while the kids are still young. We have been to the Outer Banks and Emerald Isle. We’d like somewhere drive-able from Pittsburgh, possibly closer than the Carolinas (because that drive can be ROUGH, ugh). Tell me where you’ve been and why you love it! Where did you stay? TELL MEEEEE. Let’s daydream about the beach together!