take-home lesson: exercise is bad for you.

When I was huge and pregnant and could barely walk up the stairs without needing a oxygen mask (so, like, in March) I was SO VERY MUCH looking forward to NOT being pregnant and being able to start taking walks and building up my stamina again. I knew I’d have a chunk of weight to lose (30 pounds to go as of today, argh) and maybe, hopefully, by the end of this summer, I could start running again. Zach was only about 3 weeks old when I felt almost normal, so I started taking walks. Just short ones, a mile, maybe a little more. It felt so good! Stretching my legs! Feeling my hips getting back to their old selves! Breathing without wheezing (mostly)! I didn’t have a ton of time or energy (hello, baby who eats every 90 minutes through the night) for a lot of walks, but I tried to get out at least twice a week and do something. Slow and steady, I thought! Ease back into it!

Then sometime in May, my left foot started hurting. Right on top, in between my big toe and second toe. I thought it was my old running shoes, so I got some new ones. Still hurt. Then I thought maybe it was because I go barefoot in our house 99% of the time and we have a lot of hardwood floors, plus I’m getting older and maybe I have Old Lady Feet now? Also my arches hurt a little bit too sometimes- tingly, hurty, tight. I figured that was probably from walking funny because of the other pain. Who knows. I’m FALLING APART, basically.

Let me just say that it’s not a LOT of pain. Like, on a scale of 1-10, it’s like.. 3? Maybe? It only hurts when I walk on it, not usually if I’m just sitting (though it is sometimes a little achy after a long day on my feet) I figured out that if I kept my cushy awesome flip flops on most of the day, it wasn’t getting any worse. But it wasn’t getting any better either.

After a few weeks of trying different things to get it all to go away, I realized that okay fine MAAAAYBE this is something I should see a doctor about, because feet are important, right? I am SUPER anxious to get started in earnest getting back into my pre-baby shape, but obviously I don’t want to push it and hurt myself even more. So I visited my primary care doctor a few weeks ago and they sent me for an xray. It was declared “negative”, meaning no fracture. So that was good. Today was my follow up with a foot doctor orthopedic guy (official title) and I fully expected to just be told hey, here’s an ace bandage thing or some special way to tape your foot and some instructions to rest it, it’ll be better soon. (Clearly I know what I’m talking about when it comes to foot injuries.)

I got sent home with this.

Happy Stress-fracture Summer, everybody! (OMFG.)

I don’t know WHO looked at the xray two weeks ago and deemed it ALL CLEAR! YAY! but I have ZERO xray training and as soon as the doctor zoomed in on the spot where I feel the pain, I could see the fracture and the swelling. So yeah. I gave myself a stress fracture from trying to exercise. The doctor said this is not all that uncommon for women after being pregnant. Body changing, joints crazy and loose, extra weight, overzealous about exercise, etc etc. BABIES, MAN. THEY RUIN EVERYTHING.

I’m supposed to go next week for a bone scan, but since that requires contrast dyes/radioisotope stuff which would make me unable to nurse Zach for at least 24 hours, I’m going to get an MRI instead. In the meantime, I’m supposed to wear the boot for probably 3-6 weeks. And hey! Guess when we go to the beach? THREE WEEKS FROM NOW! PERFECTION!

It could be worse. I know. Overall I’m fine. Just annoyed. Sweaty in the foot. Kind of awkward when I walk. And you know, I have those three pesky children who I SWEAR I heard chuckle when the doctor said the words “rest with your foot elevated”.

But hey, at least I can commiserate with the Audrey of last February! We’d make quite a pair.

(OMG. HELP. THIS SUCKS.)

1. Jenn
    @kissmykitty

Ugh. My condolences! I had a stress fracture on my right foot from changing the sheets on my daughter’s bunk bed — seriously, climbing up and down the ladder put pressure in the wrong place and… well, SNAP. I had the exact same boot, too — and yes, I managed to figure out how to drive with it! Ha.

I cannot imagine being in the boot with two youngin’s AND a newborn. Oy. I am so sorry. Here’s to fast healing!

Jun 25 1:52 pm

As I got into the car when I left the drs office, I realized how lucky I was that it’s my LEFT foot. Because dude. Driving in this thing? LOL That’s insane.

Jun 28 9:01 am

2. K
    @twoadults

“Sweaty in the foot.” Dude. :(

Jun 25 3:05 pm

oh so sweaty. and stinky :/ I’m like a teenaged boy! EEEEEW.

Jun 28 8:52 am

3. Shari
    @ShooieFox

Oh no!!!!

I seen the picture over on Instagram so my nosy butt had to come over here and
    see what happened.

My daughter went to the prom and stress fractured her foot in the same spot.
    She wore flats to the prom.

I hope that walking boot can come off soon!!

Jun 25 3:06 pm

4. kirida
    @kirida

Ahhh I’m sorry. So sorry about this. My iphone fell out of my gym bag and cracked. That is also a sign that I shouldn’t exercise.

Jun 25 4:47 pm

5. Jesabes
    @jesabesblog

Good to know. I’m only two years postpartum so I think I should continue to take it easy for awhile:)

Jun 25 5:42 pm

6. Michelle
    @notraisingbrats

That is no fun. I’m sorry. I think it is perfect excuse to do nothing for the next three weeks so you can be out of it for vacation :)

Jun 25 5:51 pm

oh how I wish!! I have barely sat down all week. GAH. I will say that it *is* feeling a little better already. I wasn’t able to touch the top of my foot for weeks without it hurting, and now I can! I’m sure there’s a long way to go before it’s fully healed, but at least it’s headed in the right direction. I figure at least at the beach, I’ll have lots of other people around to help with the kids, so MAYBE I’ll be able to rest like the dr said?? LOL And I think I can take it off to float around in the pool and stuff. Still not sure how the beach/sand will work but we’ll see. So ridiculous!!

Jun 28 8:56 am

7. Lea

You see, THIS is why I don’t exercise! I mean, exercise just leads to injuries and all that nonsense, so maybe I should avoid it for a wee bit longer. Hope you’re feeling better soon! I don’t even know how in the world you are going to do this with 3 kids?! I die just thinking about how I would survive it myself!

Jun 25 10:48 pm

I’m just taking it a day at the time right now! The last few days have been rainy so we’ve been stuck inside anyway, which kind of helps (except CABIN FEVER WHEEEEE!) Lots of movies this week! LOL

Jun 28 9:00 am

Oh crap. And if it’s 6 weeks, that will be August, which basically takes up the main part of summer and OMG that BLOWS. I’m so sorry. :(

Reading this also makes me wonder how my own feet didn’t get crushed from over 50 extra lb of pregnancy weight. I had no idea this kind of thing happened!

Jun 26 1:16 pm

oh I know. ALL MY PLANS FOR A GOOD SUMMER. BLARGH. I can still do playgrounds and stuff, but I wanted to the zoo and a spray park with the girls, but I don’t think I can do them alone now. Or at least, I don’t want to attempt them by myself!

I don’t think it was just the weight for me- I think I just went from Lazy Fat Pregnant Lady to HEY LET’S GO WALK A MILE WOOOO! within 3 weeks and that’s what did it. Just bad luck, I guess. I’m just frustrated because I feel like it’s been a full year now between my pregnancy/miscarriage last June, getting pregnant again, and now this… NO CONTROL OVER MY BODY AT ALL. Boo. (I keep telling myself it could be worse, I could need surgery or something REALLY ridiculous. So at least it’s not that!!)

Jun 28 8:59 am