1. Audrey hurt her foot last night. She fell down the stairs! Because nobody was watching her! GOOD JOB, PARENTS. Dan and Maggie were playing upstairs after bath, I was zoned out on the couch (TWO HOURS OF SLEEP THE NIGHT BEFORE OMG I WAS SO TIRED) and she decided to head downstairs. She’s pretty good on them, but my guess is she wasn’t going on her butt like we always tell her to do and I heard THUD THUD THUD then crying. I think it was only a few stairs, but she immediately was favoring her left foot and saying that her toe hurt. She let us touch it, but wouldn’t put weight on it without limping. She calmed down, went to bed, then woke up before midnight crying about it again. I gave her some Motrin to help with any pain and settled her back into bed. When she woke up this morning, we didn’t mention it so we could see how she acted… but almost immediately she was walking on her heel and limping. So off to urgent care we went! A huge thank you to my sister for meeting us there so Audrey would have a familiar face in the x-ray room (since I’m pregnant, they wouldn’t let me go in) The x-ray showed nothing broken or anything, so we’re supposed to make her rest it (HA) and not walk around (HAAAA) for a day or two (HAAAAAAAA). If she’s not better in a day or two, we’ll follow up with an orthopedic specialist to see what the deal is.
So that was a fun change of plans today!
2. I haven’t been sleeping very well. I did not have this issue during my other pregnancies. Maybe there were two or three nights the entire nine months where I had issues with sleep? But 3 out of the past 6 nights have been pretty awful. Tuesday night was the worst- I was awake until 4am. FOUR AM. Just awake. With a baby kicking me. And very restless legs. And an aching back. And then I had to pee. And then I couldn’t stop thinking about random tv shows. And then I was kinda hungry. So I ate Cheerios in the dark at 3am then passed out on the couch for two hours before it was time to get the girls up and ready for school.
Then of course, once I’ve had a few rough nights of sleep, I start to PANIC that I’ll NEVER FALL ASLEEP, EVER AGAIN. What kind of terrible torture would that be, right? I was so tired yesterday, I was just STUPID tired. Physically wiped out, kept forgetting what I was doing. Which was extra special considering I had to work! (I was able to skip the morning office visit and just work at home, so hooray for that at least.) Last night though, thankfully, I slept. Not perfectly- I had to read a little bit around 1am because I couldn’t get back to sleep after Audrey woke up- but I got a good 4-5 hour stretch in there plus about 2 hours before Audrey woke up, so I’ll take it.
I hope good sleep happens again tonight.
3. Adding to the sleep thing is all the other stuff we block out from the third trimester. My ankles start to swell if I sit in a chair too long. My fingers are too swollen to wear my wedding rings anymore (did NOT have that problem with the girls, what’s up little dude??) My belly is getting itchy, no matter how much lotion I apply. I had a foot in my liver area for most of the afternoon yesterday. Then he was pushing simultaneously on both sides of my pelvis for HOURS and do you know how achy your hips get after that kind of abuse? I can’t do much of anything physical without getting severely out of breath. I spent most of the middle of this pregnancy thinking ‘Man, this isn’t as bad as I remember! I’m glad I did this again! It’s not a big deal after all!’ and now, suddenly, at almost 31 weeks, I’m all OH YES NOW I REMEMBER WHY THIS KINDA SUCKS. I mean, I’m still GLAD I’m doing it again, obviously. But… well, you know. I’m looking forward to this part being over and the baby being here. And I know these next 8-9 weeks are only going to get harder, so I’m doing my best to psych myself up. I CAN DO IT. IT’S LIKE A MARATHON! ALMOST THERE!
4. The girls’ room is coming together, aside from painting a few things and a few manual-labor-type projects (shelves, etc). Those will have to wait until spring when it’s no longer a physical chore for me to put on pants. But! Their dressers are organized, and their toy nook is arranged.
We also got some new clothes hampers for their closet. And I finally found some cute bean-bag-type chairs that will work so we have somewhere to sit in there (with bunkbeds, you lose easy, comfy seating for the whole family for story reading!) Next up? Baby boy’s room! I washed his bedding today so… things are kinda getting real.
5. In between the bunkbeds arriving and doing some baby preparation, I’ve been working on finishing up cleaning out the office. I AM SO CLOSE TO BEING DONE. When I cleaned out the Closet Of Shame, I found a box of letters and things labeled ‘Jen and Dan Keepsakes’. It was mostly notes and cards and letters from when we were in high school and college and man, some of the stuff I found in there was a mix of adorable and embarrassing. Like this note, for example. (OMG SUCH DORKS.)
6. This Saturday we are having a Family Meeting (sister, mom, in-laws, etc) to discuss and finalize Beach House plans for this summer. I think that deserves these: !!!!!!!!!!
7. Every time I look at this picture of Audrey, I foresee a very entertaining albeit challenging teenage phase. Are you KIDDING ME with that smirk, child?