halfway there: letting it sink in

A BOY, YOU GUYS. I am still trying to process it, honestly. We both are! It’s just so crazy to imagine adding a boy to our family after nearly 6 years of girls. And even though (OBVIOUSLY) we knew there was a 50/50 chance of the baby being a boy, I really didn’t think it would be the case. But, here we are.

A BOY!

A few people have asked me if we’ve picked out a name yet and my reaction was basically: BWAHAHAHAAAAA! Because… no. We’ve never discussed boy names, really, other than very casually “Oh, that’s a nice name.” Never in a “Would this be a name we’d want for OUR son?” kind of a way. So, we’re essentially starting from scratch. As in, tonight I copied the top 500 names in 2011 from the social security website into a Word document and removed all the names I would never consider. And I was left with around 30 names. It turns out that I’m very picky about boy names. I feel like we have to be more… careful? with a boy name, more cautious about it sounding too pretentious or silly with the rest of our names? I dunno. Not a single one jumped out at me as a real possibility. But I’m also exhausted from putting up Christmas lights today so maybe I’ll feel differently looking at the list later. Dan is going to do the same thing with the top 500 names, then we’re going to compare lists. Hopefully there’s at least ONE NAME that overlaps! Otherwise this baby will be Nameless Forever and we’ll just call him Boy.

The other thing about this third baby is… well, come on, let’s be real. The first baby is the one who gets the sweetest deal. The second one gets the shaft just a little bit because it’s not as new and exciting and oh, yeah, we’ve totally done this before and WE! ARE! EXPERTS! (haaaaaa except not at ALL.) And the third kid? The poor guy. Here we are, halfway to when he’s due to join us, and we haven’t done a dang thing to prepare. Wait, I guess that’s not true. We did buy a minivan! And we have plans for things like getting bunk beds for the girls so they can share a room, and we know that we need a new bouncy seat (ours is pink!), and our baby monitor is finally dying after 5+ years so we’ll probably get a new one of those… but other than that? It’s just business as usual around our house: school, work, daycare, dinnertime, Taylor Swift concerts in the playroom, falling asleep on the couch at 9:15 every night. I haven’t even bought a single boy outfit yet! I’m so sorry, baby!! WE REALLY DO LOVE YOU!

Let’s compare my 20 week bellies, shall we?

20 weeks with Maggie
baby belly - 20 weeks

20 weeks with Audrey
20 weeks

20 weeks with Baby Dude
20 weeks

Overall, I’m feeling okay. As expected when you’re pregnant and have two other kids and are working. Tired! Then I’ll get some energy! Then tired again! Mostly hungry. And heartburn-y at times.

But happy. Nervous. Excited. Tired :)

1. Jenn
    @kissmykitty

Buying a minivan is excellent preparation for the baby boy, as far as I’m concerned.

And on the naming thing — eh, we didn’t figure out Ryan’s name until two days before he was born. ;) You’ll come up with one before he’s here — or before it’s time to fill out the birth certificate info, anyway.

Nov 19 12:27 am

2. A'Dell
    @adellstevens

31 weeks and I feel like we JUST found out. I do wonder if once he gets here if I’ll stop with the “a boy? a boy! really, a BOY?” endless loop in my head.

Nov 19 8:31 am

3. Hillary
    @HillaryCopsey

Boy names are hard. Poor Wes was very nearly Rhys No. 2, because Mike and I couldn’t agree on anything. And, as I told A’Dell in New Orleans, even Wes I wasn’t entirely sold on. We sort of forced our hand after we slipped and told Rhys that that was what his brother likely was going to be named.

Good luck.

Nov 19 8:54 am

4. Laura Diniwilk
    @lauradiniwilk

Aww, you take such pretty belly shots. Love the serene Audrey one.

Boy names are SO HARD. When we were pregnant with Adriana (before we found out she was a she), we went through the boy list a million times and only came up with ONE we agreed on, and even then we didn’t LOVE it. I can’t wait to see what you pick!

Nov 19 9:12 am

5. We’re in the same boat! Cannot agree on a boy name to save our life this time around. And I have a daughter Audrey too. Hehe. Great name pick.

Nov 19 10:07 am

6. Jesabes
    @Jesabesblog

We’re pretty much screwed if we have another boy, because it took basically the entire pregnancy to come up with Paul and it’s the ONLY boy name we could even sort-of agree on. (Margaret was named the second we found out she was a girl.)

Nov 19 1:00 pm

Wish I could share some helpful words about boy names, but all three times prior to finding out the sex, we’d have a list of about 40 girl names and maybe 3-4 boy names… lol. So we were much pickier too. I don’t know why that is. But you’ll find one and it will be perfect, just like Maggie’s and Audrey’s names are. :)

Don’t feel bad about not preparing, either. You’re ahead of where I was–we bought our minivan just a few days before my due date! ha. And Matthew was four months old before he even got to sleep in the crib, in his own room, and I’m just now starting to decorate (although we do sort of have Unusual Circumstances… ahem). It will all come together; just enjoy this last pregnancy and the anticipation of having a new baby again–a SON. (and oh are you gonna love it!)

Nov 19 2:02 pm

8. Lea

Hooray for baby boys! Boy names…oy vey. So freaking hard. We literally didn’t decide until Hunter was born (turns out, I know two ladies who had twin boys a couple months after I had my baby, and “H” names seem to be the thing lately, ha).

And also, boy cousins – yay! Those boys are going to be best buds I’m sure.

Nov 20 11:28 pm

9. nichole

congratulations!!!! so happy for you!! and HE will not get the shaft as much as the middle child because he is the only boy!!! lol thats how it is in our house right now minus the pictures!! He got the shaft on that! boys names are hard but so was a third girl (if we had had one) Ian was not chosen till after he was born, it will come to you. Bill was picky and I think the shock of a boy he let me have the name I wanted :) hehe

Nov 21 11:04 pm

10. Alline Saylor

You look totally cute pregnant..all 3 times!

Nov 27 2:50 pm