This recipe is one of my FAVORITES. It’s easy and simple as far as ingredients go, and it’s so so so delicious. A twist on the traditional cheesesteak sandwich, it uses chicken instead of steak. And you could really customize it by adding different things if you’d like- mushrooms, for example, or hot sauce, or tomatoes, or or or…!
Basically, it’s the perfect sandwich. Serve with fries or soup or a nice green salad.
Chicken Cheesesteak Sandwiches
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- provolone cheese slices
- hoagie rolls
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Brush chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook under broiler for 5-7 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Let cool and thinly slice.
- On a separate baking sheet, toss peppers and onions with the garlic, oil, and salt & pepper. Broil 8-10 minutes until tender. Add chicken to the cooked vegetables and top baking sheet with cheese slices. Broil for another minute or so, until cheese is bubbling. Serve on hoagie rolls with mayonnaise, if desired.
Adapted from MarthaStewart.com