July 12, 2012
One of my first big house projects after Audrey was born was painting our dining room. It was one of those projects where, in my head, it was going to take a weekend, maybe two, and we’d be done. HAAAAAAA. Four months later, it was finally done(ish). I realize now how ridiculously labor-intensive it is to go from a light-colored wall to a dark red wall. DER. I still love that room, though. It turned out just how I’d hoped.
In addition to the wall color change, the chair rail, and the shadowboxes we eventually finished (a year later!), I made the curtains using a no-sew curtain tutorial I found by chance one day. It was my first attempt at anything even REMOTELY crafty for something in the house, and I was really pleased with how they turned out.
The only issue with them is that I didn’t really measure the length with any sort of precision- I just kind of eyeballed it. THIS IS WHY I DON’T SEW! I also didn’t change the height of the curtain rods when I put them back up- just screwed them right back into place where they had been before I painted. So, as you can see, the curtains look… kind of odd. Not all the way to the ceiling, and not brushing the floor, which is apparently The Way You’re Supposed To Do It. Oooops.
Well, I wasn’t about to spend another $140 on fabric for a new set of curtains, and to be honest, I was SICK OF THAT ROOM SO MUCH, so I just left them. Someday I would deal with the moving of the curtain rods and figure out some way to make the curtains work, even if they weren’t technically the right length.
A year later, I finally got around to it!
A few weekends ago, I lowered the curtain rods so that the curtains reach the floor, and I also moved the brackets out from the windows a little bit so that everything feels and looks a little wider. Of course when I did THAT, I realized that the curtain rods I had were just a teeny bit too short and started to bend in the middle. So I bought new, longer rods and replaced those today (thankfully I was able to use the same brackets so it was a very easy swap!) In between all of that, it took FOUR COATS of red paint to cover the spackle and primer that filled in the old holes where the curtain rods used to be.
LORDY. No wonder I put this stupid project off for so long.
They’re not perfect- ideally, they would start higher up on the wall and reach down to the floor (I learned my lesson and did this for Maggie’s curtains and it looks SO much nicer!) But at least now they’re not just hanging there in the middle, all indecisive and random.
And, even better than all of that: THIS TASK IS OFF MY LIST. WOOHOO!