kindergarten, here we come!

Maggie starts kindergarten in seven weeks (OMG??!?!?) and we were given a packet waaay back in the early spring that the kids are supposed to complete and bring to their teachers either at orientation or the first day of school or whenever (the instructions were…vague. Yay public school!)

Because it’s been hotter than Hades the past week, we’ve spent more time inside than we should have to in July. So in my search of things to do to keep the kids occupied, I came across the packet and figured it was a good time to fill it out. There are just a few pages with some questions that Maggie answers about herself. I helped her with the letters a bit, but she wrote everything herself and came up with the answers (and drew the pictures, in case that wasn’t obvious. heh)

kindergarten, here we come!

kindergarten, here we come!

I think… Dan’s wearing… a dress? He looks good!

kindergarten, here we come!

First of all: she’s a total liar. She rarely likes to play outside- sometimes I feel like I have to bribe her. But maybe that’s because they play outside a lot at daycare so she’s tired when she gets home? Hm. Either way- the pizza and chicken thing is bogus. MAYBE I’ll give her pizza as her favorite food, but this list really should say “Cheese, bread, cheese, fruit snacks, cheese. With cheese.”

Oh- and she spelled the word ‘PLAY’ all by herself. Awesome.

kindergarten, here we come!

Clementine is her first chapter book that we got at the library Halloween party last year. We’ve read it a few times, and she seems to enjoy the longer story over a few different nights. So I guess we’ve entered that phase of book-reading? Any suggestions for other 5-year-old appropriate chapter books? Harry Potter comes to mind, but I’m not sure the later books are good for her yet?

Also: DADDY MAKES HER MAD. Pretty sure we’ll be getting a phone call about that one. (Dan did this section with her and he said it was more a ‘when Daddy picks on/jokes with me’ thing, but she just wrote Daddy. ha)

kindergarten, here we come!

She is SO excited about the bus. Here she is in May on the bus test-run at the Kindergarten picnic.

So glad I got to take Maggie to her Kindergarten welcome! School bus ride!!

And I’m happy she wrote that she’s nervous about ‘nothing’. I’m hoping that’s true. She has NOTHING to be nervous about, other than her mother having a nervous breakdown at the bus stop that first morning.

Three seconds later, they were fighting over the armrests on the chairs. SIGH.

1. Cari
    @mattieflap

Try the Emily Windsnap books. The first book is called The Tale of Emily Windsnap by Liz Kessler. It’s about a girl who finds out she’s a mermaid.

I would hold off on Harry Potter. We didn’t start those with Liam until just this year and he’s 7. He liked the first one but we haven’t started the second one yet. I’ve told him that the first two, MAYBE three are as far as we go right now. He’s got to get a bit older before we even attempt Goblet of Fire.

Jul 8 8:33 am

• Cari
      @mattieflap

Crap. It’s The Tail of Emily Windsnap. Sorry! Too early; not enough coffee.

Jul 8 8:48 am

2. Heather
    @heather124

she’ll do great! Sofija is half way through her first year in school (school year starts in Jan here) and she is doing so well! Its a new exciting stage for the both of you!

Jul 8 8:40 am

3. Hillary
    @HillaryCopsey

We’ve done the Harry Potter books with Rhys. He did OK with them, but when we got to book 5, he asked to stop two chapters in because it was scary. And that’s OK. We’ve also done Roald Dahl (The BFG and Matilda are great) and The Wizard of Oz. You might also try Beverly Cleary.

Jul 8 8:41 am

4. Tracy
    @overmom

I hope she does well! Dom did great, ran on the bus…almost without saying good bye. Did I mention that I did NOT get a kiss or a hug. And I cried the whole way to work. (so there is that, hrm)

May your first day, and hers too, be as tearless as possible!

Jul 8 9:11 am

5. This is adorable. We start kindergarten in two weeks! How is that possible! He’s only been out of preschool for two weeks! I’m going to need to be sedated on the first day of school.

Jul 8 12:51 pm

6. Jesabes
    @jesabesblog

I can’t believe she can WRITE and SPELL before Kindergarten even starts! I mean, I’ve heard it before these skills are now taught in preschool instead of kindergarten, but it’s still shocking! Way to go, Maggie!

Jul 8 6:26 pm

7. Sunshine
    @littlemisssun

Isaac likes the Magic Tree House series, and the Bad Kitty books. I would also recommend the Junie B Jones series.

Jul 9 9:44 am

8. Michelle
    @notraisingbrats

What a big girl!

We just finished the first Judy Moody book. It was cute.

We are working on Ramona and Beezus now.

Jul 9 11:55 am

9. keli hoskins
    @kelihoskins

I love that smart little girl. And I am having heart palpitations just thinking about our babies being in kindergarten. I’m still in denial.

Jul 9 2:16 pm

10. Laura Diniwilk
    @lauradiniwilk

I remember reading Charlotte’s Web and Stuart Little with my mom when I was in kindergarten. Also agree with the Ramona books, I used to love those.

Maggie is writing so well for her age, that is amazing!

Jul 9 3:43 pm

11. We are staring this in the face too and I am a big mix of excited and wistful and terrified. We just found out that T isn’t allowed to walk the 4 blocks to school on her own which just seems so weird to me. I remember riding the 1 mile to school (including a reasonably big street to cross) when I was pretty little.

Thanks to all for the good book suggestions. I will add the Little House books and All of a Kind Family as well as Roald Dahl since they were some of my faves. Anne of Green Gables for later ….

Jul 9 9:06 pm

12. TwoAdults
    @twoadults

Poor Dan. He’s wearing a burqa in one picture and clearly makes his daughter upset in another section. Heh.

And her and Audrey’s little yellow blonde hairs in her rendering made my heart twinge. So sweet.

Jul 10 12:32 pm

You must be such a proud mama, she’s going to rock Kindergarten! :)

Wish I had some good book suggestions, but Oliver reads books about planets, the solar system, and space… although hey, it might put Maggie to SLEEP faster! lol. I remember liking the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary, and A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. And I second Anne of Green Gables for later–I read it in 2nd grade and it’s one of my favorite books ever.

Jul 11 12:51 pm