Today was the last day of school for the kids in our neighborhood and normally I don’t pay much attention to that stuff. But it struck me that this is the last Last Day Of School in which we will NOT be participating. FOR ALMOST TWENTY YEARS OR SOMETHING.
I think I need to sit down for a minute.
Anyway. So yeah. Maggie starts kindergarten in the fall, which means that these next few months will be the end of the weekly routine that we’ve developed over the past few years. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, the girls are shuffled to daycare while I work. Tuesdays for the past 8 months have been gymnastics and lunch and errand-running, then home for Audrey’s nap and then Maggie and I hang out together (or sometimes I work, if it’s absolutely necessary) And then Thursdays have been Stay At Home Days, if at all possible, (WE LOVE THURSDAYS!) or other errands and appointments, etc. Every day is different, pretty much- sometimes even I have to double check with myself Wait, what day is it? Where are the girls going today? Where am I going today??
It’s crazy and exhausting at times, but I’m going to miss it. Gone will be the days where I have just a preschooler and an infant, that phase of life that is so precious and unique and ridiculous and mundane and fun. Instead, I’ll have a kid who gets on the bus every morning and goes to real big kid school. And then I’ll pick her up every day before lunch and then… well, here is where things get fuzzy because I haven’t completely figured out my plan with work and daycare and her half-day kindergarten. But we have time. We’ll figure it out. (Look at me, Planner Of All The Things, being all casual and non-freaky-out-y! I’M GROWING, YOU GUYS.)
For now? I’m just going to try to enjoy this summer- this Last Summer before our summers truly become Summer Vacation instead of just those hot and sweaty months where we do the same thing we did all year, plus maybe go swimming a couple of times.
And in order to properly enjoy this summer? I HAVE A LIST OF THINGS WE WILL DO!* Dan and I went on a cruise in February for our anniversary so we’re not going on a big family vacation (sorry kids! We stole your fun vacation! haaaaa) Instead, we’re going to try to do a bunch of fun stuff in shorter doses (10+ hours in the car with Audrey who screams during the 15 minute drive to the grocery store? NO THANK YOU. SHORT FUN TRIPS, IT IS!)
*TRY TO DO. AHEM.
2. Visit the zoo. We’ve actually been once already this year, but we have plans to go again in a few weeks for an event Dan’s employer is sponsoring. (So so so sad about this though. We saw him in April.)
4. Swimming. We don’t have a pool in our neighborhood, but we have several options for public pools and meeting friends. Not entirely sure how I’ll handle two velcro children in the water by myself if we go during the week, but whatever. And we’ll try to do it on a weekend once or twice so Dan can come too!
5. Playground. Audrey is LOOOOVING playgrounds these days (and Maggie always has) so I’d like to check out some new ones nearby.
6. Children’s Museum. It’s not ALWAYS going to be nice outside, so if we have a rainy day and no annoying errands to run, I think we’ll head here.
7. Library. See: rainy day activity.
8. Family mini-golf night. Maggie LOVES mini-golf. Audrey has no idea what it is yet. It should be entertaining, if nothing else.
9. Pajama Days. Because: DUH. Every summer needs a few of those.
So! What are YOUR summer plans? Big vacation? Sticking close to home? Any other fun ideas you can suggest for us?