we love “gyn-ap-stix”!

This week was Maggie’s first gymnastics show. Or “gyn-ap-stix” as she still calls it and so help me, if anyone ever corrects her, I’ll punch them. (She used to call it “a-tap-stix” which was also awesome)

She started taking Real Big Girl Gymnastics last summer (as opposed to Mommy & Me-type classes) so it’s been about a year. My hope was that she would overcome some of her fears about trying new things, and maybe learn how to do a forward roll or something. I dunno. It was just something fun for us to do on my day off from work. But she has really started loving it- and when I asked her if she wanted to try a dance class this summer instead of gymnastics, she immediately said “NO. Gymnastics!” So gymnastics it is.

(Some of these pictures were SO HARD to edit to get the colors right. Darn weird lighting in the gym. Bah.)

Maggie's "gyn-ap-stix" show
waiting for her show to start (She was nervous, I think! But later she said “I was scared at first but it was really fun!”)

Maggie's "gyn-ap-stix" show

Maggie's "gyn-ap-stix" show

Maggie's "gyn-ap-stix" show
A year ago, she was petrified of the net. Now she climbs to the top like it’s nothing.

Maggie's "gyn-ap-stix" show

Maggie's "gyn-ap-stix" show
monkey

Maggie's "gyn-ap-stix" show
(Her double chin kills me. Totally from Dan.)

Maggie's "gyn-ap-stix" show

Maggie's "gyn-ap-stix" show

Maggie's "gyn-ap-stix" show
Ta-daaaa! Her first medal! also, THOSE LEGS ARE SO LONG. WHOA.

1. She is so adorable! Yay, Maggie!!

May 31 12:56 pm

2. Dave (Scrumpy Daddy)
    @scrumpydaddy

Yay, Maggie! She looks great! Abby is in gymnastics, too, and loves it so much. I love seeing Abby improve at particular parts, and she is getting so much stronger! You can even see the muscle tone in her upper arms now!

Maggie is getting so big! They grow too fast. :-)

May 31 2:57 pm

ha I know! Maggie is always admiring her ‘lines’ on her shoulders ;) She’s actually getting little biceps!

Jun 3 7:19 pm

3. TwoAdults
    @twoadults

I love seeing how strong and capable and happy she looks. These things make me happy when I see them in little girls.

Jun 1 3:11 pm

#1 reason why I wanted to get her involved in SOMETHING- building her confidence :) And it has worked wonders. I’m so proud of her.

Jun 3 7:18 pm

4. Jenn
    @kissmykitty

Beautiful pics! I’m glad to hear that Maggie is loving gymnastics. :) It’s always nice when children find a passion for activities, particularly ones that get them moving. Alyssa has been talking about dance as well as soccer, so we’ll most likely pursue one of those this summer.

On a photography-related note, I winced in sympathy as soon as I saw the backgrounds in the photos – I could tell by the lighting and colors of the mats and such that the original coloring was probably way off. I’ve taken similar photos of my kids and have always had a heck of a time with color adjustment. You did a nice job!

Jun 1 9:36 pm

ack, I know! Gym lighting is NOT photo-friendly. I decided to just go with it and not mess with it too much (I used a few Lightroom presets that just made it WORSE. LOL)

Jun 3 7:18 pm