germs ruin everything

Tomorrow is my 33rd birthday. I am very good at birthdays. I always make plans to spoil myself because DUDE. IT’S MY ONE CHANCE TO DO THAT, GUILT-FREE. Tonight, I have an appointment to get my hair cut and colored (SO MANY GRAYS ALL OF A SUDDEN. GAH! Also, my hair is down to my bra strap in the back. WHAT THE HECK? Way too long.) And tomorrow, I was going to run my first 5K race and reward myself with an awesome movie-and-dinner date with Dan. I had Big Exciting Plans for my birthday weekend!

But then, I got sick last weekend. Just a cold, but one of those really nagging, annoying ones that has kept me from getting a good night of sleep the past two nights. I have a head full of snot and a cough and I am just TIRED. (It probably hasn’t helped that I’ve been working like crazy, a few long days and late nights these past couple of weeks and I am FEELING IT.) I haven’t run since last Friday- the day I started feeling sick- and that run was pretty craptastic and I didn’t even make it 2 miles before I stopped.

So. I think I’m going to have to bail on my first race and you guys, I AM BUMMED.

I started running last September, without any real goal or plan other than to just be able to run a little bit without feeling like I wanted to die. I started soooo slow (CouchTo5K program rocks!) and at the beginning, I was only running like 60 seconds at a time and it felt like an eternity. But by Thanksgiving, I was able to run for over 30 minutes and not only survive it, but… ENJOY IT! Then winter hit, so we found a treadmill on Craigslist and that kept me going through the colder weather. And as soon as it started warming up, I was back outside a few nights a week, running by myself without anyone touching me or needing a snack or otherwise demanding my attentions.

(One of my favorite parts about running, I’m not gonna lie. heh)

Then I found this race nearby and it was on my birthday and I thought How perfect! My first race on my birthday! I can totally do this! I spent the last few weeks working to improve my running times, pushing towards my little goals and making them (10 minute mile, HOLLA!) I was excited about running this race. I was going to run with Amy (even though from the sounds of it, she’d be leaving me in her dust by the 1 mile marker, heh)

But it’s not gonna happen, sadly. I debated the past couple of days about just doing it, what the hell, it’s just a COLD, you know? But the whole reason I’m doing this is because I enjoy it and I want my first race to be FUN, not something that feels like a chore because I can’t breathe and I’m hacking up a lung.

There will be other races. In fact, there is one that goes literally past my neighborhood in about a month, so I’m thinking that might be The One. No biggie, right?

So instead of running tomorrow morning and then eating tacos, I’ll be sleeping in and making everyone else wait on ME for a change, then HOPEFULLY IF ALL GOES WELL (because with kids, you just never know), Dan and I will still have our date.

Also, there is a small box with a ribbon wrapped around it upstairs that he’s been taunting me with since yesterday and I think it’s AMAZING how much self control I have that I didn’t just OPEN IT while he was at work, so I’m imagining the contents of that box will make my birthday pretty awesome, race or not.

1. tehamy

Oh no! I’m so sad that you won’t be able to run =(

I hope you feel better. Have a great birthday!!!!

Apr 13 6:33 am

2. Dave
    @scrumpydaddy

Oh, I’m so sorry you won’t get to go enjoy your first 5K tomorrow. I hope you feel well enough to enjoy the day, anyway, I hope there are no outstanding issues with the kids, and I hope you still get out to enjoy a nice dinner and a movie with Dan.

Happy Birthday! Feel well!

Apr 13 6:57 am

3. Cari
    @mattieflap

I’m sorry you have to miss your race!

Have you considered that it might be an allergy thing? Maybe try some Claritin or something?

I hope your birthday is awesome no matter what!

Apr 13 7:34 am

Definitely not allergies- it started with the achy neck/throat/ear thing last Friday :/ Steadily getting better and it’s the normal progression of a cold. DAMN GERMS.

Apr 13 10:04 am

Boo. Being sick always sucks, but moreso on birthdays. Hope you feel better! There will be other 5Ks (maybe with me!?!) in the future. :)

Apr 13 8:43 am

5. Erica
    @Polkadot_hippo

Wow have a great birthday. Sorry on the germ front – they have attacked me too. Want to see pictures of whatever is in the little box!

Apr 13 10:33 am

6. I was of the attitude that you totally should just run the race anyway – screw the cold. But, you’re right. You do want your first race to be a memorable one. Plus, it’s your birthday and everyone should get to sleep in on their birthday. So, happy three’s and may your birthday include a return to good health!

Apr 13 10:53 am

That’s what I kept thinking all week- DUDE I’M TOTALLY DOING IT ANYWAY, WHO CARES?? But then I realized that if I pushed myself too hard (because I am REALLY TIRED after this week, oof) I might regret it and then feel even WORSE for my other birthday fun, and that just doesn’t sound like a good time. And, you’re right- I don’t want to have a bad First Race, you know? I want to kick butt and be in top shape! So, next time :)

Apr 13 3:41 pm

7. A'Dell
    @adellstevens

I do not understand why all the gray hair is showing up all at once. This is entirely UNFAIR.

Being sick on your birthday blows. I say you should go for the half-birthday this year, for sure. Is there a run in 6 months?

Apr 13 11:18 am

SO MUCH GRAY HAIR! I mean, I’ve always had a few here and there, but the past 6 months or so… man, it’s getting bad.

Apr 13 3:40 pm

8. Andrea
    @ajh_rigs

Awwww…. That stinks that you still aren’t feeling well….

Honestly, I think you’re making a smart move. Wait till things are in your favor or else you may never run a race again.

My first two races were AWFUL. First one I didn’t prepare very well and the conditions were craptastic (The 5K Zombie at North Boundary- remember we got the snow the day before Halloween this past year? Add an inch or two of mud underneath the snow… it was almost dangerous.) My second race I had that disgusting hanging-on cold the month before the race. Set my training back, plus breathing problems… No fun. It wasn’t until my third race that I loved it. The conditions weren’t great for that third race, but the important things were that I was healthy, and my training had been great & on schedule. I’m glad I did that third race. (I almost didn’t!) It made me see what everyone always raves about when they talk to the Runner’s High. :)

Also- YES! No one touching me! I gotta get back out there! :)

Apr 13 1:41 pm

I remember those races! You definitely didn’t seem like you enjoyed them after the fact… but I’m glad you eventually ran one you loved :) I’m eyeing up the Mars Band run if you’re interested, maybe we can do that one together!!

Apr 13 3:43 pm

9. Happy Birthday! Also, running requires lunch. Make sure you can enjoy your first race. :) Surprise box! Super exciting. I hope the kidlets cooperate and your birthday is perfection. :)

Apr 13 3:43 pm

10. Erica
    @ericahuff

I have also been germ-ridden for over a week. And gray-hair-ridden for like 7 years, sigh. Happy birthday, though!

Apr 13 4:28 pm

11. Pris
    @pgreen730

Woke up with ears hurting, sore throat and headache…..ugh. I hope you have a wonderful birthday, it’s better you get well than to run and make it worse.
    Chuck and I will be doing the 5K that you speak of next month! We may have to crawl up that winding hill that leads to your neighborhood but we are determined to improve our times!
    Happy Birthday Jen!