beach Barbie birthday bash!

the birthday girl in her birthday outfit
Maggie on her way to school on her birthday

For every one of Maggie’s birthdays, we have thrown a rather large party in her honor. The first few were mostly family, just because what toddler has their ‘own’ friends, right? But the past couple of years, these shindigs have grown and between the friends SHE wants to invite and the family WE want to invite… woo-boy. It’s quite the production! But I love it. I really do. (Even though today I am OH SO TIRED OMG.)

This year’s theme (chosen by Maggie!) was Beach Barbie. Behold, the cake that my sister made. She’s amazing.

my sister is awesome. the end.

I had a few activities and games planned for the kids- coconut decorating, ‘Pin the Coconut on The Palm Tree’, and coconut bowling. (Google is my BFF when it comes to easy and themed party games!)

coconut decorating

Maggie's turn

and of course Audrey wants in on the action

pin the coconut on the palm tree

Even Audrey made a coconut!

Audrey's coconut

Then there was food (I went the easy route this year and ordered pizza and sandwiches and bought a veggie tray. BOOM. No cooking for me!) and cupcakes and ice cream and cake.

cupcakes!

birthday girl

birthday wish!

And of course… presents. LORDY. This kid got every Barbie thing, ever made, ever ever ever.

Maggie & Madison

Also: fart slime! Which was the hit of the day, of course!

and then the fart slime was opened, and all the kids rejoiced!

(My 4-months-pregnant sister and her husband sit and watch, picturing their futures, wondering WHAT HAVE WE DOONNNNEEE???!?! muwahahahahaaaa)

Michelle & Michael, viewing their futures, mwahahahahaaa

So that was Party Number Five! I still haven’t decided how long I’ll continue these crazy birthday shenanigans, because if I’m going to be a Fair Mama, I’ll have to do the same thing for Audrey… and I’m not sure I have it in me to keep this up for much longer! heh But we’ll see. Maggie has a blast every time and we all know I love a project.

Plus, she gave me a huge hug and a kiss today and told me thank you. So: WORTH IT.

birthday girl

1. Audrey is looking SO CUTE. Oh my word.

That cake is AWESOME. Your life is filled with all things little girl, eh? :)

My mom only gave us parties for ages 5, 10, 13, 16, and 18. With 5 kids, she still had at least one party every year! For simplicity sake, I think I’m going to follow suit. But then again, I’m not a person who ENJOYS all of the work. I’m lazy. Heh.

Apr 1 4:30 pm

oh that’s a good idea! Goodness with 5 kids, I cannot even imagine! LOL Maybe after age 5, we’ll just do the big years- still something little in the other ones, a few friends over, a birthday dinner with the grandparents, etc. but less people (25ish adults + 13 kids = CAH-RAY-ZEE!!!!) I feel HUNGOVER today. !!!

Apr 1 4:32 pm

2. HereWeGoAJen
    @herewegoajen

I like birthday parties. :) This looks like such a fun one!

Apr 1 4:52 pm

3. I never really had birthday parties, and it always made me really sad. I vowed to always make my kids birthdays a big deal until the day comes they ask me not to. Haha. Especially while they still live under my roof. I’ve only got two parties under my belt so far, but it’s something that’s really important to me after a partyless childhood. We usually do the go out to dinner and stuff thing on the actual birthday with one small gift to open and some kind of small dessert, and then we go all out for the party. Though I haven’t done games yet because a bunch of toddlers are perfectly content with parties hosted on a playground which I’ve done both times so far. I always go with easy food like pizza or sandwich fixings. Too much work to cook all that stuff since I do the cupcakes and such myself usually as it is. It is definitely exhausting, but it’s worth it to me.

Apr 1 7:48 pm

Looks like so much fun!! (A lot of work, but fun. :) I’m sure Maggie loved it!

We’ve only done family parties so far. I had planned to have a big party last July for Oliver’s 5th birthday with a bunch of his friends and such, but my mom was in the hospital and… it just wasn’t happening. Now this year I will have a 2-week old baby (not to mention at this point I don’t know where we’ll be) so probably just family again. Poor Oliver. :( I promised myself I’ll do something extra EXTRA special for his 7th birthday in 2013 to make up for it!

Apr 1 9:30 pm

DO YOU KNOW WHAT I JUST REALIZED? YOU WILL NOW BE OFFICIALLY INVITED TO ALL OF MY KIDS’ BIRTHDAY PARTIES EEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Apr 4 8:23 pm

5. That looks like such a fun party! I love the cake!

We’re venturing into the world of non-family parties this year for the first time this month (seriously, how are they five already?) and can already see the whole theme thing spiraling out of control. In a good way.

And yeah . . . Audrey is so freaking adorable!

Apr 1 11:45 pm

6. Andrea
    @ajh_rigs

We’ve done smaller-ish parties with family & (our!) friends, so far. With B going to preschool next year, and a bigger house on the horizon, I can easily see myself going WAY over the top and cray-cray next year! :)

Ha! Poor Michael & Michelle… I knew I should’ve gotten one of them smiling. :)

Also: fart slime. I apologize….. (Dollar bin, Target, if you need more- you know… for your husband.) :)

Apr 2 1:28 am

It is VERY easy to go crazy, even when you’re not intending to do so! heh

And the fart slime continues to be a crowd pleaser :)

Apr 4 8:25 pm

7. Andrea
    @ajh_rigs

Also, you throw GREAT parties, so *I* think you should keep them up! :)

Apr 2 1:30 am