maybe SHE’S ready. but I don’t think I am.

A few weeks ago, we got an official-looking form from preschool about Maggie. But don’t worry- it was all good stuff.

Preschool assessment. It's official! Ack!

DO YOU SEE WHAT IT SAYS THERE??? “Maggie is ready for kindergarten!”

This baby, you guys. This baby is ready for PUBLIC SCHOOL AND STUFF.

Mommy and Maggie

It cannot be so. And yet… it is.

Not that we doubted it at all, of course. But you know, it’s nice to hear it from someone who is a little more objective than the woman who birthed her from her loins, right?

There were all sorts of notes on the assessment, about how she can count to 30 (she can actually count to 100 and sometimes 200 which is REALLY FUN TO LISTEN TO IN THE CAR AT FULL VOLUME. [Actually it is. I’m so proud of her.]) and that she’s starting to be able to read. She can tell you her address and phone number and she understands where we are in relation to the rest of the world- countries and continents, that kind of stuff. It’s funny because these are all things I never really thought about a kindergartner needing to know about The World, but thankfully in our regular conversations and in the course of her asking ten thousand questions every thirty seconds, they’ve come up. And now she knows things.

Next week we have our first Kindergarten Orientation Preview Thing where they give us a tour of the school, tell us some important things about registration in April, etc etc. She is SO. EXCITED. She asks me just about every day when it’s going to be here, and if she’s going to find out who her teacher will be.

We are excited, and a little proud. I mean- it’s just KINDERGARTEN, I KNOW. They let kids in who eat the paste. But still. I’m proud of US for managing to keep her alive and well for almost 5 years.

And I’m proud of her for being so ridiculously awesome.

cool chica

1. Hillary

March 6, 2012 8:19 pm

Oh! every time I hear about someone’s kid heading off to kindergarten, I remember our turn is only a year away. I don’t know how to feel about that. Sounds like you have a pretty amazing little girl.

2. Michelle

March 6, 2012 9:18 pm

That is awesome. I don’t even know what I am going to do with myself next year when we go through this. I will be a hot mess. I cried and cried and cried when she went to preschool – twice a week. PRESCHOOL reduce me to a blubbering mess for days.

3. jesser

March 6, 2012 10:00 pm

I am right there with ya. I went through all the stress of messing around with 5 different schools, making sure she could have all day kindergarten and all the while I’m flipping out a little bit inside with each application dropped off.

4. PinkieBling

March 6, 2012 10:48 pm

Holy cow, kindergarten! Congratulations!

5. Sara @ Belle Plaine

March 6, 2012 11:24 pm

Such a big girl! Kindergarten is only one year off for us but I think my heart may weep a little the day I drop him off as a big kid at the big school. Werent they just wee babies a minute ago?

6. Elsha

March 6, 2012 11:35 pm

Wow, kindergarten! I’m still in denial about the fact that Kalena should probably start preschool this fall. (Seeing as she’ll be 4 in May…)

7. Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks

March 7, 2012 8:40 am

When I found out Gavin was moving from the infant room to the toddler room, where the only milestone he really needed to achieve was learning how to walk, I cried because I was so darn proud of my little boy. I’m pretty sure my reaction set a precedence for the way I will react with every major progression as observed by someone outside our family. It’s just the way we mamas (and some papas!) are wired. It’s been so much fun watching Maggie grow … and watching you garner such amazing fulfillment being a part of her life. You’re a good mama with a pretty amazing family!

8. Dave (Scrumpy Daddy)

March 7, 2012 8:45 am

Woo, Maggie! (Not that there were any doubts…) Yay for heading to Kindergarten (oh too soon…)!

Maggie looks all Suave and Adult in that outfit with those glasses on. Slow down with the growing up already, kid! Heh!

Also, Abby has that trike – it is currently cleaned up to be used as an indoor toy, and she rides it every day with Zach on his own riding truck, around, and around, and around the house. :-)

9. Erica

March 7, 2012 10:33 am

Wow. Big time! Congrats!

March 7, 2012 1:22 pm

Maggie is going to rock Kindergarten, that’s for sure. :) Even though it’s hard on you, it’s also thanks to you and Dan that she’s such a smart cookie!

The worst part for me was actually 2 weeks into Kindergarten when Oliver started riding the bus. Not personally walking him into the classroom or picking him up made me really sad/anxious at first, but now I’m ok because he loves it so much. This fall he’ll start first grade and be gone ALL DAY so that will definitely be a bigger adjustment! Why do they grow up so fast???