so many scratchy marks on the wall

Maggie has always been a pretty cautious kid. When she was a toddler, it was something we were actually happy about… though I don’t think we truly appreciated it as much as we should have. Of course, we KNOW THIS NOW because now we have Audrey Queen Of Leaping Off High Things With Abandon And Loving It and you know, it would be nice if she had an OUNCE of the cautiousness that Maggie had. To save us from the daily heart attacks.

But as Maggie got a little older, the characteristic that had become a comfort for us turned into FEAR for her. She became afraid of dogs, of rides at amusement parks, of swimming, of her tricycle… We’ve been careful not to push her too much if she seems genuinely scared of something, but there have been times when we’ve ended up frustrated because we felt like she was missing out on fun things and we didn’t want that for her.

Last summer it got to a point where she didn’t even want to ride her tricycle. She would get on, ride it a little bit, then get off and say it was “too wild”. And forget the scooter (WITH PRINCESSES ON IT!) she got for Christmas last year- she wouldn’t even look at it. Not even when I tried it out for her and looked like a total idiot for my kid in my driveway and made it look SUPER FUN! The scooter was No Good.

Well… apparently we’re past all that.

scooter

Not only did she try it out, she LOVED it and she was instantly flying around the driveway, riding it for REAL. SAYING “WHEEEEEEE!!!!”

scooter

scooter

scooter

And that tricycle? She is suddenly way too big for it.

outgrown

Looks like we’ll be Big Girl Bike shopping in the next few weeks for her birthday present.

Maggie

1. C @ Kid Things
    @kidthingsnet

She sounds like my 8yo, my super careful, cautious one. He’s afraid of pretty much anything. And he still refuses to even try to ride a bike. My 5yo’s daredevil antics completely make up for him, though, and then some. That kid about gives me a heart attack. Multiple times. Hourly.

Feb 23 11:06 pm

It’s amazing how different they can be!! And yes, Audrey more than makes up for Maggie’s scaredy-cat ways ;) LOL

Feb 24 7:14 am

2. It is totally the same in our house. MJ will be off in the distance, flinging herself off the roof of their playhouse (only a slight exaggeration there) while big sister E is wringing her hands and nearly in tears over the tiniest thing.

We’ve had a big girl bike for her for over a year now. Today was the very first day that she voluntarily jumped on it and joyfully rode it around the yard without crying about it being too fast or too tippy. I was completely shocked.

Feb 23 11:55 pm

THIS. This is exactly my two girls- Maggie is Drama and Woe, Audrey is Whatever, Just Let Me Try And Injure Myself In Peace, Man. In a way, it’s a bit refreshing- I wonder if as she gets older, she’ll stay like this and maybe everything won’t be so darn dramatic and tear-ridden? That might be nice… LOL (of course, there may be stitches and casts involved, so… heh)

We’ll see how the big girl bike thing goes. My mom has one she found at a yard sale with training wheels and everything and Maggie is mostly afraid of it. Sigh.

Feb 24 7:23 am

3. Jane
    @seejane

We have the same thing. Maria is cautious. Charlie is daring! Even already, he is leading the way and trying things before she will. She is definitely getting better! I don’t mind her being cautious as long as it’s not paralizing!

Yay for the new bike!!

Feb 24 8:25 am

4. TwoAdults
    @twoadults

Oh yes.

Ezra was very cautious physically. He was active, but cautious. Iris?–for someone who had a lot of catching up to do, she is MUCH more adventerous and so very climby.

Feb 24 9:54 am

Well if that’s not a testament to the power of Second Child Syndrome, I don’t know what is ;) They just feel like they have to keep up with the big kids, I guess! AND GIVE US PANIC ATTACKS! YAY!

Feb 24 10:41 am

5. Ashley
    @#!/celica18l

My son is kind of the best of both. He is brave to do things that make MY heart leap but simple things he is scared of. Kind of amusing.

Feb 24 12:01 pm

6. Erica
    @ericahuff

Anna is scared of everything too, so now I’m a little nervous about Ivy’s impending mobility.

Feb 24 3:08 pm

7. Andrea
    @ajh_rigs

Um…. Yeah. Sorry, I have no idea what you mean by a “cautious child.” : ) As a matter of fact, I think the Easter bunny is going to bring Spencer a two-wheeler (with training wheels!) because I CAN NOT keep him off of Bridget’s. Then she gets pissed, shoves him off, and SPEEDS off, giving me a heart-attack. It’s the only thing I can think of doing to keep both of them semi-happy and safe(ish.) : )

Feb 28 4:11 pm

Audrey is of course the opposite… and honestly, I’m still not sure which I prefer. I think I’ll have to wait and see until she’s a little older and how her fearlessness manifests itself ;) The fear/chicken thing is nice for not needing to worry… but it can be stressful in OTHER ways (she’s VERY EMOTIONAL ABOUT EVERYTHING OMG.)

Feb 28 4:26 pm