all hail the sock bun!

Taking a break from my usual Mom Stuff to talk about something new and fun: HAIR!

I have long-ish hair, and it’s very thick and heavy. Every time I have it cut by someone new, they’re all WHOA, LADY WITH THE LOTS OF HAIR. Thankfully, even though there’s so darn much of it, it’s easy to manage. I can get away with washing and blow drying (which takes a WHILE) and it’s pretty much… done.

photo shoot

(I love that picture. Thanks to Irene for making my hair look so SHINY!)

But that’s just it- I’ve never been able to do much with fun hairstyles or up-dos or anything because it’s so heavy. Curls don’t stay curly, and up-dos don’t… stay up. It’s flat and droopy and falling out within hours. So for a long time- years!- it’s either been down/styled naturally or up in a ponytail.

Because I spend most of my days at home, either working in my pajamas (w00t!) or hanging out with the girls, I don’t have a need for anything crazy fancy with my hair. But I’ve long been trying to find an easy way to do something a little nicer with my hair without it being a huge pain in the butt. Ponytails are fine, but a bun would be better! Looks like I put more effort in than a ponytail, you know? But of course… my hair is way too heavy for that. No amount of bobby pins or ponytail holders or fancy hair do-dads ever did the trick. Plus I’m super clumsy with fixing my hair and a couple of times I actually got my FINGERS stuck in whatever I was trying to do and… well, that’s just embarrassing. I was convinced I was doomed to a life of boring ponytails, looking unkempt and at best, BORING.

THEN I FOUND THIS ON PINTEREST. The Sock Bun.

the sock bun

(Sorry for the blur. Do you know how hard it is to take a picture of the back of your head with a cell phone?)

It’s so amazing, you guys. You take a sock, cut off the toes, then roll it like a donut. Put that around your ponytail against your head, then wrap your hair around. Stick in some bobby pins- even with my heavy hair, it only takes 4 or 5!- and you’re DONE. Awesome. (Mama Kat has a video tutorial that will explain it better!)

I’ve been doing this for a few weeks now and I love it! It’s perfect for errand-running-day with the girls when I don’t have time to blow-dry my ridiculously thick hair. And I even did it for work one day and had THREE people compliment me on my hairdo!

I’m especially excited about finding this trick before our cruise next week because now I have a nice way of doing my hair for the formal dinners. And maybe I’ll add some sparkly pins and barrettes to fancy it up. And- AND!- the same hairdo for laying by the pool. I LIKE THIS. A LOT.

Socks, man. WHO KNEW, right?

Now I just need to figure out how to make a mini-sock bun for Audrey. Because girlfriend has some crazy-ass hair.

Audrey's bedhead this morning

Very cute!! You are lucky to have SO MUCH hair. And it’s straight! I would just about give my right arm for that.

I’ve always worn my hair in a bun (when long enough) since I was young because it really is easy and versatile, and it looks neater than a ponytail. So I pinned that sock bun tutorial but my hair has been too short so far… it’s just now grown out barely past my shoulders, so maybe in a few months. Will be great for summer and those days when I’ve been up all night with a newborn, though. :)

Feb 9 8:45 pm

2. I tried this a few weeks ago after finding it on pinterest. Best. Thing. Ever. Plus it looked so cute after I took it out. Looks awesome on you!!

Feb 9 9:00 pm

3. A thought for Audrey, instead of a sock, maybe a knee high???

Feb 9 9:02 pm

And then tequila as a tranquilizer so she’ll sit still while I do it?? ;) LOL

Feb 10 6:39 am

4. Mom Kier

Let’s just hope Audrey hasn’t inherited grandma’s hair!

Feb 9 9:25 pm

5. Erin
    @PolkaDotsPearls

Supposedly the sock bun makes great curls when you take it out — did you find that to be true? I tried it once overnight and when I woke up my hair was super kinked and frizzed out so I obviously did something wrong.

Feb 9 9:58 pm

Unfortunately for me, no fun curls after. I think it’s because the way I have to wrap it to get it to stay, the ends are kind of shoved in there? So when I take it out, the ends are bent all weird. But it might work if I wrapped it more carefully/differently? I may have to try it! I usually do this when it’s damp- I just blow-dry my bangs and the rest of my hair a little so I can get it up in a ponytail, so that might be part of the reason it ends up wacky when I take it out.

Feb 10 6:38 am

6. janet
    @loveisblonde

You make this look too easy and cute! I might have to try it!

Audrey’s hair is AWESOME.

Feb 9 10:24 pm

7. I tried it! Need some pinning practice, but it works great. Actually, my hair has so much body/texture that I can pretty much make a bun like this without a sock, lol, BUT this is much more reliable and it turns out really pretty. Thanks for sharing!

Feb 9 11:26 pm

It took me a few times to figure out the best pinning strategy, but now that I’ve got it, it’s easy. And THAT’S another reason why my hair is so difficult with buns, etc- the texture! It’s very flimsy and slippery so it doesn’t ‘stick’, if that makes sense :) The sock gives it something to hold onto. heh

Feb 10 6:36 am

I have super thick hair, too. I actually have to have mine thinned out once a month-I get headaches from it! My husband makes fun of me every time I wear a bun (I like a messy bun) because we just watched an episode of King of Queens where Carrie starts wearing a bun and Doug hates it. She finds out and does it just to drive him nuts. Then she sees an old lady librarian wearing a bun. Anyway, it was funny. I still wear my hair in a bun! :)

Feb 10 12:57 am

9. I keep reading about this sock bun; I definitely need to try it! But I’m pretty sure it doesn’t get more awesome than Audrey’s hair in that last picture.

Feb 10 4:02 pm

10. Lea

My hair is stick straight and slippery, so this would be a great option if I ever grow it out again. Very cute!

Feb 11 12:26 am

It probably would work great! My hair is slippery in texture too which is why I’ve always had trouble. So this is an awesome option!

Feb 11 10:11 am

11. Pris
    @pgreen730

I used to wear my hair in buns all the time because I hate my hair in my face and it had to be pulled back for work. At the dance stores, there is a bun hickydo (no idea what it is really called, I will look for it) that you put your hair in a ponytail, use this thing made of rubber. You slide your hair in it and roll it up and it clips together to hold the bun in place. I know that is an awful description, I will go find it and link it. Not sure if you want to try it but it works great for Jada’s hair and probably mine too. I’ve never tried it for myself.

Feb 12 1:30 am

12. I usually unfollow all hair stuff on Pinterest because my clumsy fingers/thick hair/impatience can never achieve any of those fancy things on there. BUT, you have me convinced that I could maybe do this one.

Feb 13 9:22 am