just a little escape from reality, please

Um. I’m sorry. WHO STOLE JANUARY, YOU GUYS? Yowza.

(Totally random side story: every time I use the word ‘yowza’ in conversation, Maggie yells at me and tells me it’s not a word. PSSSSH. Whatever, kid. Someday you’ll be texting your friends in a made-up language. NO JUDGING ME.)

Anyway. So this first month of 2012 was a good one but an insanely busy one. Which is hilarious because when the month started, our weekends were all open! Plan-free! This will be so relaxing and refreshing! Then of course, I filled those empty days with House Projects and painting Maggie’s room and then we had friends come to visit (which was awesome! obviously!) And the weeks were an absolute ridiculous blur of daycare and work and shopping and playing and naps and diapers and gymnastics and errands and whiny kids and a couple of colds and phone calls and work and crashing onto the couch at 9pm to stare at the tv for an hour before Dan and I both doze off, pretending to the other one that WE’RE SO NOT TIRED! LET’S STAY UP! WE CAN DO THIS!

It’s all been mostly good stuff filling our days, let me just clarify. I’m not complaining, I swear! But you know how it is- you stumble your way through the daily routines, sometime barely noticing the world around you and you are tired and worn out and you just need a BREAK, for the LOVE OF GOD.

So! GOOD TIMING ON THAT CRUISE, JEN! Because… two weeks from today, Dan and I will be… *checks cruise itinerary* …somewhere in the US Virgin Islands. Our kids will be here at home, with my parents. Eight days away from our girls (yes, I’m a little nervous.) with nobody to wipe, feed, bathe, or discipline. Plus: SUNSHINE AND FLIP FLOPS.

WOO. HOO!

This trip is to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary… which isn’t technically until June, but when we were planning what to do for this major milestone celebration, we both agreed that going somewhere WARM in FEBRUARY was a very very good idea. It’s actually pretty nice here in Pittsburgh in June so why would we want to leave then? February in Pittsburgh kinda SUCKS, unless the Steelers are in the Super Bowl. (THIS WAS FEBRUARY TWO YEARS AGO. UM.) So I did a crap-ton of research and hemmed and hawed and we changed our minds a bunch of times before finally settling on a cruise. Neither of us have ever been on a cruise before! Something new and fun!

Aside from last spring when we took a short trip to Las Vegas without the girls, we haven’t been on a trip alone since we went to Italy before we had Maggie. The Vegas trip was AMAZING and much-needed after a long fall and winter with a reflux-y infant, but Dan was working for most of the time, so it was mostly just a super awesome trip for me. I parked my exhausted butt by the pool for four days while he went to his nerd conference. WIN FOR ME!

But this cruise is for BOTH of us. No work, no kids, and no internet (!!!)- just us. And a lot of food, apparently (everybody who hears we’re going on a cruise immediately says OMG YOU WILL EAT SO MUCH! ha Sounds like my kinda trip!) Traveling to new places is something I LOVE, and since this is new for both of us, you can imagine my excitement. But… I also am very much just looking forward to eating several consecutive meals without having to leave the table to get someone a napkin, or more milk, or more sprinkle cheese, or wipe someone’s butt during dinner.

I have high hopes for this trip, obviously.

I think WE need it, together. If you have kids (one, two, five, whatever), you know how distracting it can be to your own relationship to have these little people running around, always so NEEDY, right? Lately I feel like we don’t have much energy left for each other, which is normal, I know. But it doesn’t make it any less frustrating. We need to just HANG OUT together, rather than passing off tasks and chores to each other. And we get to worry about things like which cute new dress will I wear to the dining room tonight? Should I wear my hair down or up? Which bathing suit? What book should I I read on my Kindle? Do I take a nap now, or after lunch?

Actually, now that I think about it, it… might be kinda stressful. ALL THOSE DECISIONS! :)

WE NEED THIS, MAN. SO EXCITED. NOW FOR PACKING AND LIST-MAKING AND PRE-VACATION INSANITY, BECAUSE THAT’S ALWAYS THE WAY, RIGHT???!

1. Allison
    @AllisonB

SO JEALOUS. You guys totally need it.

(But no internet? Eeek!)

Feb 2 9:10 am

I know. I’m a little freaked out, I’m not gonna lie. Then I realize that’s probably not A HEALTHY REACTION, which means it’s a good thing we’ll be without it ;) A break from EVERYTHING. Whoa.

Feb 2 9:19 am

2. I totally could have written the first bit of this post … no plans then WHAM! Hi Feb! … but now I’m so jealous of your cruise I am not sure I can see straight. ;) We are celebrating 10 in Aug and I think this really solidifies the NEED to get away together. We’ve not been away for more than a single night together since the kids were born and we always go to … our house. Boring.

I hope (know) you have an amazing time! Enjoy every moment … when you’re not missing kids and INTERNET.

Feb 2 9:30 am

3. Hillary
    @HillaryCopsey

That sounds divine.

Feb 2 9:33 am

4. Jesabes
    @Jesabesblog

You will LOVE it. Honestly, one of my favorite parts of cruises is the no internet. The days seem so (pleasantly) long when all you have to do is eat, go to the pool, and read. When we were back at the airport on the way home, I tried to catch up on Twitter a little and ended up sitting there glued to my phone completely ignoring my family for two hours. And I didn’t even enjoy it that much.

Of course, making sure you have enough books on your Kindle before leaving can be stressful without the promise of internet to download more:)

Feb 2 9:41 am

5. Kelly
    @Tooptumber

I am SO excited for you. And a wee bit jealous! :)

Feb 2 10:07 am

6. That sounds so great! I need to plan something like this. You know, for after this next baby is done nursing, so…who knows when.

Feb 2 10:28 am

7. Kris

We are going to do Vegas for our 10th in the Fall. But 8 days away from reality, right now, sounds like HEAVEN. Add me to the jealous pile…. :)

Feb 2 11:05 am

8. Becca
    @beccasanborn

We went on a cruise from our honeymoon and loved it! We also had no internet, and there were only a few days when we considered using the internet cafe, but in the end, we just relaxed and did our own thing. The excursions were our favorite, so many fun adventures! I promise you’ll love it. :)

Feb 2 11:20 am

9. I would love the no internet. I usually avoid it on trips anyway! ;)

Feb 2 1:02 pm

Girl, no need to explain. Vacations are good. Enjoy and celebrate and relax and just have a fabulous time!!

Gotta admit, although I’m not proud to say, I’m extremely jealous. :) I need an escape from reality so, so badly. Our 10th anniversary is in May, and we used to plan on a trip to Hawaii or Europe. But even if I wasn’t pregnant, traveling is not possible this year (because of my mom, and also moving). Maybe in 5 years? A girl can dream…

Feb 2 9:55 pm

11. Kate
    @katekono

Ohh, I am so jealous. Sleeping in, taking naps, sitting in the sun, reading a book….it kinda sounds like heaven. Have fun!

Feb 3 3:56 pm

12. keli
    @kelihoskins

can i block your blog?

;)

just kidding. you guys are going to have so much FUN!!!

Feb 3 6:58 pm

13. Michelle
    @notraisingbrats

What I great idea! I’ve been thinking about our 10-year trip (in two years).

Need. A. Break. Maybe we will make it a 9-year trip instead.

Have fun!