January 5, 2012
I don’t really make resolutions each new year, mostly because I don’t really have any bad habits I’d like to break (Not that I don’t HAVE any bad habits. It’s just that I want to keep them. And I will never, ever give up chocolate so you can just shut it. ha.) But I do like to think about my goals for upcoming year and what we have planned and what I’d like to do. I’ve been compiling a list in my head during this past week of All The Fun And New And Exciting Things That Will Happen In 2012.
1. Lose 15 pounds and run a race. Yeah, pretty standard for the beginning of the year, right? LOSE WEIGHT! EXERCISE MORE! I’ve actually been doing pretty well with the exercise thing since September when I started running and I’m really proud of myself for sticking with it for so long. I don’t usually do that- I get a bug up my butt about exercising and it lasts about 2 weeks and then I get sick or see something shiny and POOF. DONE. I haven’t run since Thanksgiving because the weather has been craptastic and I just have zero desire to run in the cold. Plus, even with running 2-3 times a week for 30 minutes, I was seeing no weight loss. I know I was gaining benefits in other areas for sure (cardio health, building muscle) but DUDE. I WANT THE SCALE TO MOVE. So I’m switching it up for the winter and doing some inside workouts- 30 Day Shred, yoga, etc. I went to my first hot yoga class last night and WOOBOY it was intense. I really liked it though, so I’d like to mix that in once a week or so. And if we get a random warm-ish day here and there and I can get outside, I will run. I would really really like to run a race in the spring (nothing crazy- just a 5k!), but after taking a long break from running, I’ll probably have to train a little bit first. But that’s my goal. That and fitting into some old pants and shirts.
2. Travel! We are going on our 10th anniversary cruise in February! Cococay Bahamas, St Thomas, and St Maarten. SUPER EXCITED!! Neither of us have ever been on a cruise and this is the longest alone trip we’ve had since we went to Italy before we had Maggie. Our anniversary isn’t until June but we really really wanted to get the heck out of Pennsylvania in the winter and go somewhere sunny and warm. My mom is generously watching the girls for us for EIGHT WHOLE DAYS AND NIGHTS. We haven’t left either of them for that long before, and I’m a little nervous. But they love Grandma and PapPap so I know they will have a blast. And honestly, Dan and I need a break, away, together because !!!!! Later in the spring or summer, we’ll probably take another weekend trip somewhere with the girls, and in November, I’ll be going to The Blathering again, this time in New Orleans, a city I’ve never visited! So it should be a pretty fun year, travel-wise.
3. Our House. We moved in here two years ago, and almost immediately I became pregnant with Audrey. So any grand plans I had to redo rooms and paint and stuff kinda got put on hold. We did a few things- painted the living room and kitchen (I actually finished this a week after I found out I was pregnant with Audrey- I was RACING to beat the onset of pregnancy nausea!) Then this past year I painted the dining room (I STILL HAVE PTSD FROM THE RED PAINT.) and we put up molding and a chair rail, and I redid our office.
But I HAVE BIGGER PLANS for this year. First on the list is Maggie’s room. It was painted pink pink pink when we moved in, and for a 2-and-a-half year old girl, it was PERFECT. But now her crib is gone and she has big girl furniture and big girl tastes, so it’s time to make a change. She picked out this bedding (we had a different one picked out that Santa was going to bring her, but, um, Santa procrastinated and then it was out of stock. CRAPSTICKS.) and we’re going to use those colors to fill the room. There’s been talk of polka dots on the walls and a curtain for a dress-up area… lots of fun ideas. I’m looking forward to getting started!
After Maggie’s room, I’d like to tackle our downstairs bathroom/powder room- mainly just paint and a new sink-top and new mirror. And finally, after all of that and if we have the funds, we’d like to fix our deck. Right now it’s more of a balcony than a deck- small with no steps to the yard. Now that the girls are getting older and Maggie can play outside for a little bit on her own (I can see the swingset from our kitchen window!) it would be SO NICE to have steps right there for easy access to the yard.
4. Organization. I guess this kind of goes along with house projects, but it doesn’t really require paint or a saw or anything. I found this de-clutter calendar on Pinterest and I’m going to try to do it. I already got a head start on a few things this year- I saved up and bought some handy kitchen organization drawers and racks (HOW LAME AM I? I have a KITCHEN ORGANIZATION BUDGET. Dork.) But I have an entire house full of drawers and closets that need FIXIN’. So it’s on.
5. Work. I survived my first year of parenting two kids and running my business. And I had a very successful year (relatively-speaking for me, at least!) with my work-life. But, I have more goals for this year- and not just financial ones. I’m always looking to learn new things and I love when a new project comes along that will challenge me to expand my knowledge and skills. So I’m hoping this upcoming year is a good one for me!
6. Finding and going regularly to a church. This is a more serious, personal goal for us this year. I grew up in a wonderful Presbyterian church and was very active in the youth group while I was in high school. I made some really great friends while I was there and those memories are precious to me. I was at the church two or three times a week! And you know- let’s face it, if there’s ever a good place for a teenager, it’s at church. Kept me (mostly) out of trouble!
But then I graduated from high school, went to college, got a job, got married and… got lazy. Sundays were for SLEEPING IN! Catching up on housework! Dan and I got out of the habit of regular church. I often use the excuse ‘God knows I need my sleep!’ but really… I’m a grown up. That’s a lame excuse. When I got pregnant with Maggie, we started going to church again because having a kid makes you Think About Important Things And Stuff, but we lived far away from my old church so we hopped around to a few different places but never found one we loved. So the laziness set in again. Then we’d go a few more times… then Maggie would get sick so we’d miss a week and then we’d have plans and then hey, lazy again! Rinse, repeat.
I think part of our lazy attitude about going to church is that we haven’t found a place we’re excited about visiting. So! Our mission (no pun intended, ha) is to find a church we love that has great stuff for kids- young and high school aged. I would love for my girls to have the church family I did growing up. I have already started a spreadsheet (OF COURSE I DID.) of local churches that we’d like to try. We’re going to start visiting each one a few times and ‘make the rounds’ so to speak. And hey- if anyone nearby has a church they love, let me know! I grew up Presbyterian but honestly, I just want to find a place that has God-loving people that makes us feel welcome :)
7. Finish converting videos. I have a pile of VHS tapes I took from my mom’s house last year for the purpose of converting them to digital video on my computer. I bought the software and it came with the proper equipment and all of that, and I made it through a few tapes! But then I ran out of steam (hi, Newborn Baby!) and there they still sit in the bin in the office closet. I NEED TO FINISH THIS PROJECT. It’s not a hard one- it just requires setting up the VCR (yup, we still have one!) and my computer and babysitting it for a little while. Because seriously, how else am I going to be able to share gems like this one? ME. CHEERLEADING COMPETITION. SIXTH GRADE. (That’s me on the back left with the chicken legs and gigantic glasses.)
8. A baby? And somewhere, Dan just got REALLY EXCITED. But he’d better calm down… I have a GIGANTIC QUESTION MARK next to this one, because truthfully, I’m pretty sure it’s not going to be A Thing. I wrote about all my complicated feelings on the subject recently, and they haven’t changed. But either way, in 2012, it will be decided: we will remain a family of four or make plans to become a family of five. (GAAAAAAH.)
So! What are YOUR grand and exciting plans for 2012???