snow: burns like fire or fun family playtime? experiment number two

Maggie didn’t make it out into the snow until she was almost two. Between the timing of her birthday and sicknesses and when the snow came that following winter, it just never worked out before then. But it was completely worth it, because I got what is probably Top 5 Favorite Pictures Ever As A Parent.

not liking this.

I mean, really. DRAMA. QUEEN.

She wasn’t a fan of the snow… and to be honest, three years later, she’s still not a fanatic about sled riding or throwing snowballs or building a snowman. I mean, she’ll do it, but she lasts about 30 minutes and then she’s done. Ready to go inside. The end.

She’s kind of a girly girl.

Anyway, so this weekend we finally had enough snow to make it worthwhile bundling everybody up and heading outside. It was Audrey’s first time playing in the snow (I don’t count last year when we took her outside for 5 minutes in her adorable but not really practical snowsuit for babies.) so I really wasn’t sure what to expect. We already know that Audrey is More Insane And Crazy than Maggie was at this age, but still: snow is cold and wet and might be kind of overwhelming for a 16 month old.

Sadly, I did not get any screamy-baby pictures of Audrey. Because she was pretty much digging it.

giggle

(and yes, that’s the same hat Maggie wore. aw.)

not sure about walking in the snow

snowball

She was a little bit unsure about walking in it, but she didn’t cry or act like we were burning her with fire or anything (I’M LOOKIN’ AT YOU, TODDLER-MAGGIE)

walking

Although she was Zen Baby when it came to sled riding, which cracks me up. She looks so confused.

Audrey's first sled ride

WHY ARE WE OUT HERE? THE SUN IS TOO BRIGHT. MY HAT IS ITCHY. WHY ARE YOU ‘WHEEEEEEING’ AT ME? GET ME A SNACK, WOMAN.

it looks sweet, but 30 seconds later, she dumped Audrey face-first into the snow. THIS IS FUN, GUYS!

Maggie dumped Audrey into the snow face-first about a minute after I took this picture. She definitely wasn’t a fan of that.

But she sure looked cute in her little hat.

COLD.

eyelashes. lordy.

Maggie, I’m happy to report, no longer screams in the snow. There is whining (because when you’re four, there is ALWAYS WHINING.) but overall, much fun was had.

YAY SNOW!

eeeeeeeee!

heading back up

snowball fight!

And this last picture made me wheeze-laugh because: REALLY MAGGIE? The hill is about 4 feet long and you could see the grass. That level of excitement is probably a little bit much.

WE LOVE SLEDDING IN THE GRASS!

So! We got our snow fix. We’re done. WHEN IS SPRING?

watching Maggie

1. TwoAdults
    @twoadults

Whenever they bundle up the toddlers at daycare to take them out on the playground it is HILARIOUS. They all look like cherub babies with delightful cheeks who are also stumbling and stone drunk.

With snot.

Jan 17 4:12 pm

2. Erica

Beautiful pictures. Beautiful! And man, the whining is still going on at four? Because I have a lot here at two and you are basically telling me there is no end in sight.

Jan 18 10:11 am

Thanks! And… yeah. sorry. The whining stays. And it might even get worse? Or maybe my NERVES ARE JUST SHOT. ha

Jan 18 11:12 am

3. Kris

As always, love the pictures. And your little ones just makes me want to munch on her, sooooo cute.

FYI, the whining doesn’t stop at 4. But at 5 it now includes the great addition of “but, mooooooooooooooooom”…. awesome upgrade. You will love it.

Jan 18 12:44 pm

4. Jesabes
    @jesabesblog

Now I want to take Paul out in the snow and see what he thinks, but all we have for snow gear is a lot of very girly stuff. I imagine he’d LOVE pictures of that when he’s older.

Jan 18 1:20 pm

5. keli
    @kelihoskins

i mean, COME ON!! audrey walking in snow and maggie happy screaming while dan and audrey are soooo whatever. ohmygosh!

Jan 18 9:47 pm

6. How funny is that!! They’re so cute.

Jan 19 3:12 pm

7. Michelle
    @notraisingbrats

I am so impressed that you bundled them up and took them outside. I look at their coats. Look at them. Look at the snow outside and think “That’s so much work. Who wants to play with Play-Doh?”

And? Your girls are so adorable.

Jan 23 11:02 am

Oh it’s definitely not something we do every time it snows. LOL There is still way too much whining involved with getting all the layers! It always takes longer to get ready than they stay outside. GAH.

Jan 23 11:18 am

8. I just saw you on twitter and checked out your blog. Sooooo cute (the pics, not your blog, which is very nice, but not ‘cute’ per se)! It looks like your family lives in my plan.

We just went sledding yesterday. A little too warm but it was great for snowball fights.

Jan 23 2:35 pm

9. X

Lovely captures! How I wish we have snow here in our country, too. Your daughters are so adorable, beautiful and love your site. bookmarked! :)

Jan 26 7:23 pm

10. X

by the way, what camera do you use, if i may ask?

Jan 26 7:25 pm

Thanks for your lovely compliments! I have a Canon Rebel xsi, and the lens I usually use is a 50mm f1.4 :)

Jan 27 9:11 am