recipe: buffalo chicken ring

I love all things made with Frank’s Red Hot (or any hot sauce, really. But especially Frank’s Red Hot) I also love cheese. And crescent rolls. And ranch dressing.

So this recipe? Is basically my dream come true. It’s perfect for parties or football games or really could be a nice, quick tasty dinner (served with a salad on the side, perhaps?)

First, you make a funky circle-type thing with the crescent rolls. I’ve tried various methods of doing this, and here is a picture of the best way I’ve found.

recipe: Buffalo Chicken Ring

Then chop some celery.

recipe: Buffalo Chicken Ring

Then mix some cream cheese with half a packet of ranch dressing mix (more if you’d like, but half is probably plenty)

recipe: Buffalo Chicken Ring

Next is the chicken. I’ve made this with several types of chicken: canned chicken works just fine, or boiled chicken shredded in a food processor or with forks is good too.

recipe: Buffalo Chicken Ring

And then: HOT SAUCE.

recipe: Buffalo Chicken Ring

Mix it all together: the cream cheese mixture, the chicken, the celery, and the hot sauce. How much hot sauce? Totally up to you. I usually add bit, taste, add a bit more, etc. I like to keep it relatively non-spicy and let people dip it later if they want. I like the tang of the hot sauce without blowing my face off, know what I mean? But it really is a personal preference.

recipe: Buffalo Chicken Ring

Now comes the art portion of our project. Spread the chicken mixture on the circle of crescent rolls you created.

recipe: Buffalo Chicken Ring

Then slowly go around the circle, wrapping the chicken mixture in the dough.

recipe: Buffalo Chicken Ring

(It doesn’t have to look this pretty. Mine doesn’t usually, but it knew it was having a photo shoot, so it behaved for me. That’s a good boy, dough-from-a-tube!)

Bake it for 15-20 minutes at 375 degrees or until the crescent rolls are starting to brown.

recipe: Buffalo Chicken Ring

Now here is where I caution you: LET IT SIT FOR A LITTLE WHILE AND COOL BEFORE MOVING IT. I don’t have any nice after pictures of the sliced roll because I was in a hurry to take it to a party and I tried to move it before it cooled a little and… DISASTER. Delicious disaster, but disaster all the same. It went from a nice circle to a… rhombus? Parallelogram? I don’t even know, but it looked hilarious. Don’t be like me! Patience is key.

Serve the chicken ring with ranch and hot sauce for dipping. You will be a hero.

Buffalo Chicken Ring
Ingredients
  1. 8 oz cream cheese
  2. 1/2 packet ranch powder mix
  3. Diced celery to taste
  4. Buffalo wing sauce to taste
  5. Diced/shredded chicken, cooked (2-3 chicken breasts worth, or 1-2 cans of canned chicken)
  6. 2 packages crescent rolls
  7. Ranch dressing for dipping (optional)
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a cooking sheet, spread the unrolled crescent rolls out leaving a small circle in the middle. Mix chicken and buffalo sauce to taste and add in celery. In separate bowl, mix cream cheese and 1/2 ranch packet together. Microwaving cream cheese for about 30 seconds makes mixing easier. Mix all ingredients together.
  2. Place spoonfuls of mixture on crescent rolls and fold rolls over to form a ring shape and cook for about 15 minutes or until crescent rolls are nicely browned. Serve with ranch dressing and extra hot sauce for dipping.
jayesel http://jayesel.net/

1. jesser

November 10, 2011 9:04 am

My husband is going to go nuts for this. We usually use Frank’s Buffalo Sauce for everything Buffalo we make. mmmmmm

2. Janette

November 10, 2011 9:48 am

This is genius. I am going to try this.

3. bessie.viola

November 10, 2011 10:12 am

This looks AMAZING. I’m also a big fan of Frank’s Red Hot! I want to eat this whole thing for lunch now.

4. Kristina

November 10, 2011 10:18 am

I eat Frank’s on everything. I’m making this tonight. For myself, as Hubs is out of town, but I just don’t care.

5. K

November 10, 2011 10:28 am

I might be making this beast this weekend.

6. Hillary

November 10, 2011 10:33 am

That looks wonderful. I’m totally with you on Frank’s Hot Sauce. When I was pregnant with The Boy, I craved hot wings and I’ve loved them ever since.

7. RA

November 10, 2011 10:56 am

Sorry to be a dunce, but what do you do to serve it? Cut it up into little rings? Or do people grab pieces of it and dip? I only ask because I would like to make and serve this ASAP. :)

November 10, 2011 11:13 am

Not duncy at all :) I just slice it around the circle, basically like a pizza. It falls apart a little bit so I usually include forks to help with the shoveling into faces!

8. Erica

November 10, 2011 11:21 am

Frank’s Red Hot! Yes yes yes.

9. Laura

November 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Looks great! Saving it.

10. Jennifer, Playgroups are no place for children

November 10, 2011 6:14 pm

This looks amazing! Love anything buffalo chicken.

11. Home Sweet Sarah

November 10, 2011 7:58 pm

I very much need this in my life.

12. kim

November 11, 2011 5:19 pm

how much chicken?

November 18, 2011 11:47 am

Someone else asked this too, made me realize I never mentioned the amount! So I edited the recipe to include it. I’d say 2-3 chicken breasts worth, or 1-2 cans of canned chicken would be fine. It really doesn’t have to be exact, and I actually have had some filling leftover a few times, good to eat on crackers or bread, even!

13. M. FV

November 11, 2011 7:21 pm

you don’t give a quantity for the chicken… how much are we talking? One boneless breast? two?

help me out here!

M. FV

November 11, 2011 8:26 pm

oh geez, you’re right! I would say two cans of chicken if you’re going that route, or 2 boneless chicken breasts, 3 if they’re small.

14. kelsey

November 11, 2011 10:47 pm

This sounds delicious…I just wish people not from Buffalo (I’m born and raised) could actually come here and eat real Buffalo food. You wouldn’t want to leave!

15. Sergey

November 12, 2011 5:29 am

It looks delicious. I would try!

16. BethF2

November 12, 2011 6:54 pm

I made this recipe but instead of the hot sauce I used a tropical (pineapple) barbeque sauce. OMG it’s fantastic. I wish I had known about this (or thought of it) when my children still lived at home. My husband loves it and that is the greatest.

17. K

November 12, 2011 11:00 pm

I’d ditch the ranch stuff and sprinkle some crumbled bleu cheese on that mixture before wrapping the dough around it. Or maybe mix bleu cheese with the cream cheese.

I ask you — How is it Buffalo-ish without the bleu cheese??

18. Drina Murphy

November 13, 2011 7:55 am

Are the crescent rolls just shortcrust pastry? I have never seen those here in the UK but would love to try this:)

November 18, 2011 11:45 am

I’m not sure what else might be similar, but I think regular pizza dough would work just as well. (also, no crescent rolls? SO SAD! heh They are really just a buttery, flakey bread/roll. Very yummy!)

19. Jane toledo

November 13, 2011 12:46 pm

This looks like a heap of vile vomit.
    Would it kill you to publish a recipe that is actually real food and not this mish-mash of crap.
    Is this what Americans are reduced to?

20. Tara

November 13, 2011 3:06 pm

I made this Friday night and it was oh-so-delicious! I made it in bundles instead of a ring so I could freeze half. Very, very good. :)

21. Priss

November 13, 2011 7:18 pm

So far, mine looks kind of pretty. I love to work with bread. As soon as I read this recipe to my husband, he was immediately like, “We must make this thing.” So I made this thing. We used the Ninja to make the filling. Turned it into a paste, with boiled chicken breasts. Erm… oops…

22. Prasouda

November 13, 2011 9:20 pm

Wow, will definitely try this recipe next game day! My husband will fall back in love with me!

23. Benjamin

November 14, 2011 12:41 am

THIS IS AMAZING.
    nom nom nom nom

24. Amanda

November 14, 2011 1:02 am

You did NOT just put anything ranch with my buffalo wings!!! nuh uh not acceptable. Blue cheese only. Be authentic! I’m from Buffalo NY and i’m disappointed.

25. cara

November 14, 2011 8:47 am

I make this but without the ranch/cream cheese. I use maria’s blue cheese instead. its a hit every time!

26. Charlotte

November 14, 2011 7:08 pm

i was just wondering what you could use instead of crescent rolls? would a thin pizza dough work? I have never seen crescent rolls in Australia!

November 15, 2011 7:14 am

Thin pizza dough would probably work great! The texture would be a little heavier than the crescent rolls (they are a little flaky), but I don’t think it would ruin anything

27. Liz @ Southern Charm

November 15, 2011 1:06 pm

Love this! What a perfect game day recipe!

28. Lily

November 15, 2011 10:27 pm

Oh, it looks like a wreath. Maybe this will be Christmas dinner this year ;)

29. Bria

November 16, 2011 10:49 am

I totally make the dip version of this all the time (without crescent rolls and with cheese melted on top, served with chips) so needless to say yesterday I ran out and bought all the ingredients for your variation and it will be made shortly!!!! So excited. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

30. Mama C

November 16, 2011 7:12 pm

Making it tonight !!! I also discovered Franks Red Hot makes a buffalo wing flavor sauce that is a little less spicy,and still has all that awesome buffalo wing goodness. Thanks for sharing. ;)

31. Almazza

November 17, 2011 9:27 pm

Awesome! Thanks!!

32. Almazza

November 17, 2011 9:27 pm

Awesome! Thanks!!

33. Almazza

November 17, 2011 9:27 pm

Awesome! Thanks!! Have you tried to do the same thing with CAMAMBERT CHEESE and GREEN APPLES….try it…you will thank me!

34. Amber

November 20, 2011 3:54 pm

So I totally found this through pintrest! Then read some of the blog love it. We live in Pittsburgh too.

35. Laurie of Lulu and Daisy

November 20, 2011 8:09 pm

Yum! I have it in the oven right now!!

36. Cassie

November 21, 2011 5:07 pm

Oh my goodness, I’ll be my husband’s hero if I make this. Genius, I can’t wait to try it, we LOVE Frank’s too!

37. Pingback: Buffalo Chicken Bake « strawberry ginger

38. Alexis

November 30, 2011 11:45 am

this looks amazing… but i may substitute the cream cheese and ranch with blue cheese dressing. has anyone ever done this?

November 30, 2011 4:25 pm

I’ve never tried it that way, but I’m sure it would taste delicious! Without the cream cheese, it might be a little more runny, so maybe half the cream cheese plus the dressing? Would be worth the experiment!

39. Maria

December 2, 2011 8:20 am

Serving size?

December 4, 2011 2:16 pm

I think it depends on how large you slice the ring. I’ve only ever served this as an appetizer so I wasn’t very concerned about serving size. But if you were having it for a meal, I’d say it would serve at least 4 or 5 people. It’s pretty heavy because of the crescent rolls so it’s very filling :)

40. Emily

December 4, 2011 4:49 pm

Yup – made this and it was pretty amazing. Perfect for football Sunday. Thanks!

41. Mar-ye

December 7, 2011 6:11 pm

This was gross. Sounded amazing but it wasn’t. And we both love this kind of stuff

42. Em

December 13, 2011 9:19 am

I signed up to take Buffalo Chicken Dip to our office Christmas party this Friday. Guess how it will be served up! Yep! In a crescent ring (the bleu cheese version). They’re gonna love it! Thank you so much for the inspiration.

43. Mare

January 1, 2012 1:08 am

This was great. Made it for New Year’s Eve. BIG HIT! Everyone raved about it.

44. lynda

January 6, 2012 8:42 pm

I am going to make this tomorrow for the Texans Playoff game, but not in a ring (maybe to messy to transport and have people carry around) I’m going to just use the cresent rolls to make football shapes (stuffed with the buffalo chicken mixture… Cant wait to try this thanks for sharing :)

45. Stacy

January 8, 2012 4:04 pm

Looks delicious! One suggestion…. put it on parchement paper before you cook it and then it should transfer easy to a party platter! I can’t wait to try it!

46. theresa

January 13, 2012 8:08 am

this is pretty if i separate crescent into triangles.wide end in and fold points over and in.use chicken breasts cooked in water then cut into chunks.add mayo and shredded cheese,mustard and crumled fried bacon. or try ground beef, cheese,seasonings and little pizza sauce.serve with sour cream and salsa.superb

47. Pingback: Blessings Multiplied » Blog Archive » What’s for Dinner: Our Weekly Menu Plan

48. Pingback: celebrate – football {buffalo style!} | Café Zupas

49. Stefanie

January 21, 2012 4:35 pm

Found the recipe through pinterest and Love It! Made it today and am going to make it tomarrow for game day! Thanks for pinning it!

50. Mehgan

January 22, 2012 9:10 pm

Oh man, this was AMAZING! I just made it. I love Pinterest for showing me this! I modified it some and was happy with it!

By modifying, I mean I added butter (b/c I love butter too much). I melted some butter and took the other half of the ranch dressing packet and brushed it on the dough before putting the chicken mixture down. Then after it came out of the oven, I brushed more butter/ranch mix on it. Super yummy! (And ya gotta have butter with anything bread!…The idea came from how much I love the ranch-flavored pizza crust at Hungry Howie’s).

My husband didn’t like the celery in it (picky eater) but I liked it and I thought it gave it a great textrue. I’d use a little less than a whole block of cream cheese b/c it made it a little too creamy for me (I LOVE cream cheese though so it’s ok!)

Such a great recipe! Thank you for posting it!

51. Amanda

February 1, 2012 10:16 am

You can also make this with burger – cheeseburger ring-. You Brown your burger, add mustard and ketchup to the burger, spread around, place your favorite cheese slices on the burger, close the ring and bake! My family loves it!

52. Christine

February 5, 2012 10:30 pm

I just made this tonite for the SuperBowl, and because i,m not a big fan of ranch dressing i substituted with 1/4cup mayonnaise, and yum yum, it turned out very good! I would definitely make again!