So I leave for Austin in less than 48 hours. To say I am looking forward to this weekend’s shenanigans at The Blathering is a SEVERE understatement. Not only am I in need of a break from Regular Life (oh my, but I DO.), but I am going to finally meet some of my favorite bloggers- friends I talk to daily on Twitter and through our blogs. The list of 50ish attendees? The only one I’ve met in person is my roommate for the weekend, Katie. I am SO excited (and nervous!) about meeting everyone.
And of course, none of you have met ME, either. I’m mostly what-you-see-is-what-you-get here on my blog, and I’ve been writing here for a very long time, so I feel like I’ve covered just about everything over the years. But I know that some of you have just started reading along so there may be things you don’t know. Here are 13 Things To Know About Me Before We Meet.
1. The basics: This was mostly all covered in my Blathering Questionnaire but in case you missed it: I’m 32. I have two daughters, Maggie (4) and Audrey (1). I’ve been married to Dan for 9 years (together for 15). I’m a self-employed web designer.
2. I maybe haven’t read your blog yet. I meant to. I had GREAT intentions of going through the attendee list and following everybody I wasn’t already following on Twitter and subscribing to all of the new blogs and learning all about you. And I did that!… when there were like TEN people on the list. Then the list kept growing and things got crazy and suddenly it’s two days away and WHOOPS. So. I may not have a CLUE who you are yet. But that doesn’t mean I don’t want to talk to you. If you have a blog and/or you’re on Twitter? YOU ARE MY PEOPLE. TALK TO ME!
3. I’m an alcohol lightweight. Seriously, I don’t drink much. I don’t have a problem with people drinking and I find it highly entertaining to watch other people get tipsy. But there aren’t many drinks I’ve found that I like other than the sweet, super-high-calorie ones. And to be honest, I’d rather EAT my calories (queso! chips! dessert! chocolate! ice cream!) So I rarely drink, and when I do, I get halfway through my first glass of wine or whatever and I’m all WOOOO MY LEGS ARE SO HEAVVVVYYYY! WHEEEEE!! So. If I order a drink or two… Maybe keep an eye on me? LOL
4. I’m from Pittsburgh. I’m a Steeler fan. If you live in Cleveland, Baltimore, Cincinnati, or if you’re a New England Patriots fan… I’ll try and overlook that and hope that we can still be friends. (I kid.) (Kinda.)
5. I say ‘dude’ a lot.
6. I don’t normally like girls. Okay so that sounds weird and probably not how I mean it to sound. What I mean is: I don’t usually like being in large groups of girls. The Herd Mentality and Drama that normally ensues when a bunch of hormonal ladies get together just EXHAUSTS ME. I just can’t keep up with it! So throughout my life, I’ve found that I tend to gravitate toward a few very close friends, rather than large circles of semi-close accquiaintences. And this might sound ridiculous considering I have hundreds of blog and Twitter friends. But online is different somehow. Perhaps because I can just shut down my computer if it gets to be too much! The odd thing is, I have met some of my closest friends through this online medium that is CHOCK FULL OF THE DRAMAZ ALL THE TIME! So… I don’t really even know where I’m going with this. Just… I don’t like drama. I like fun. And laughing until my sides hurt. So let’s do that instead! Mwah!
7. I’ll sing karoake with you. I like country and 80s music. LET’S DO THIS THING.
8. I know very little about pop culture. I find myself Googling people’s names I see on Twitter (Beiber-who? Real Housewives of… where now?) because I have no clue who people are talking about half the time. I guess I live under a rock, I dunno. Teach me, o wise ones!
9. I am Type A, all the way. My kids are trying their darnedest to make me a Type B, but I’m resisting. I AM LOSING, but I am resisting. I like to have A Plan! And be in control! So this weekend will be good for me, I think. Just a few planned things, the rest of the time? FREEDOM. FROM THE CHILDREN. FROM A SCHEDULE. WHAT THE WHAT. I will be slightly out of my element, but hey. I’m always looking to grow ;)
10. I am mildly stressed about my flights. This is so dumb. But I’ve only flown a handful of times in my life, and only once have I flown alone (Hi Sam!). And only once have I had to make a connecting flight (when Dan and I flew to Italy about 5 years ago) So this time, I’m flying alone, on an airline I’ve never flown before, and I have a connecting flight both ways. WHAT DO I DOOO?? WHAT IF I MISS MY CONNECTION? WHAT IF MY LUGGAGE GETS LOST?? CAN I BORROW SOME UNDERPANTS? (TOTALLY KIDDING. They have Target in Austin, right?) (ALSO: SEE TYPE A PERSONALITY OMG LIGHTEN UP.)
11. I’m going to eat a lot. I’ve been running regularly for the past 6 weeks and I am quite pleased with the results so far. However combine a girls’ weekend where the queso flows like wine with the fact that I’ve been eating pretty darn good for the past few months plus I’m anticipating some major PMS food cravings and you’ve got The Perfect Storm Of I WANT TO EAT ALL THE THINGS. I’ll bring the Tums. Cheers!
12. I’m probably not going to miss my kids (much). Is that… mean? It’s not that I’m going to be all C-YA SUCKERS!!! and yeah I’ll be excited to see them when I wake up Monday morning. But… they’re in good hands with their dad at home. And I see them every day. And since I work part time, I get to spend two entire days every week with them, all alone. I NEED A BREAK, Y’ALL. I’ll buy them something cute to make up for me not crying when I leave ;)
13. I’m going to take a lot of pictures. Because that’s just what I do. Say cheese!
Okay! Time to pack! WOOOOOO!