recipe: sweet & sour chicken

I was ridiculously excited when I came across this recipe for homemade sweet and sour chicken. You guys, it is SO GOOD. It’s a little involved with several steps (coating chicken, frying a little bit, then baking) but it is all worth it. Trust me.

Start with a plate of chicken breast, cut into chunks. Sprinkle on some salt and pepper.

sweet & sour chicken

Mix up your sauce: ketchup, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, and garlic powder. (You may want to make two batches of this, one for the cooking and one for the dipping!)

sweet & sour chicken

Dip the chicken into cornstarch and then in beaten egg. Fry it lightly in some oil, but don’t cook it all the way- just crisp the outside.

sweet & sour chicken

sweet & sour chicken

Transfer the chicken to a baking dish and coat all the pieces with the sauce.

sweet & sour chicken

Bake that for about an hour, turning the pieces once or twice. While the chicken is baking, make some rice (we like jasmine rice!) and some veggies- usually I saute or steam sliced carrots and snow peas.

sweet & sour chicken

Serve it all together and enjoy! (This picture was taken of the leftovers because I was so excited to EAT IT that I forgot until I was cleaning up!)

sweet & sour chicken

1. keli
    @kelihoskins

yum!!! thanks!

Oct 3 1:17 pm

2. This looks great! I can’t wait to try it out!

Oct 3 1:39 pm

Yummm… this is the recipe you told me about before–and since then I make it ALL THE TIME. FOR MYSELF. lol! Ok, I really do share. ;)

For anyone watching carbs like me… I use Splenda instead of sugar, half the ketchup (1/4 cup–unless I can find low sugar ketchup, which isn’t often), and I grill the chicken (just salt & pepper, to avoid the cornstarch). I eat veggies with it, and make rice for the family. But either way I can vouch that it’s delicious! Thanks for passing the recipe along because it’s one of my favorite things!!

Oct 3 4:26 pm

4. That looks delicious!

Oct 5 2:27 pm

5. Pingback: Friday Link Love at theinbetweenismine.com

6. Charmaine

I have a question, what do you need 1/4 cup of canola oil for? Am I supposed to deep-fry the chicken?

Oct 26 8:15 pm

The oil is for the chicken, yes. (I just realized it says ‘fry in a little oil’… um yeah it’s more than just a little bit. heh You need quite a bit to make the chicken yummy!)

Oct 26 8:20 pm

• Charmaine

Thank you for this recipe, it turned out great!

Oct 27 6:40 pm