Not Oreo Pops: a tutorial

For Audrey’s birthday party a few weeks ago, I had a plan. I was going to make these.

1c78446249bc5c68a314fb75c1b6c990

Except… notsomuch.

Oreo pop FAIL.

The original pin I found on Pinterest didn’t really have any detailed instructions- which I didn’t think was a big issue. It seemed pretty straight forward, but at 10pm the night before the birthday party, things suddenly weren’t so clear anymore. Sticks wouldn’t stay in (probably needed Double Stuff Oreos, or to use the chocolate as ‘glue’ inside the cookie- GENIUS!) and the chocolate was very thick, even after a loooong time in the microwave. Not sure if I needed a different kind of chocolate? It said ‘FOR DIPPING!’ on the bag. But obviously… it didn’t work as expected.

But! I would not be discouraged! I did what any girl would do with a bowl of melted chocolate, a bag of Oreos, and some adorable sprinkles: I improvised.

I made Not Oreo Pops.

20110916-016

The ingredients are the same: Oreos, chocolate, sprinkles. The method? Slightly different.

First, put the melted chocolate in a plastic bag and snip the tip. Squeeze a bit onto the Oreo.

Not Oreo Pops

Spread out the melted chocolate with a knife. I tried a few different ways for this and found that swirling in a circle like I was icing a cupcake worked just great.

Not Oreo Pops

Before the chocolate hardens (which happens pretty quickly!) you’ll need to add your decorations. I worked 6 or so cookies at a time to avoid the sprinkles not sticking. Add your decorations and voila! Not Oreo Pops!

Not Oreo Pops

These were SERIOUSLY popular at the party. I made an entire bag of Oreos and there were three left at the end of the day.

Not Oreo Pops

And lots and lots of turquoise sprinkles around the kitchen floor.

Not Oreo Pops

But that’s okay, they were yummy and adorable. Worth it.

Party Oreos
Ingredients
  1. 1 bag of Oreos
  2. 1-2 bags of melting chocolate
  3. decorations: sprinkles, jimmies, etc
Instructions
  1. Melt the chocolate according to the package directions. Spread with a knife on top of each Oreo. While the chocolate is still warm, add decorations. Allow to cool and harden before serving.
jayesel http://jayesel.net/

1. Erica

September 29, 2011 2:10 pm

Ha ha! You should do one of those “nailed it” things for Pinterest with the original pops and your first effort. Way to pull it off though!

2. Laura

September 29, 2011 2:24 pm

I love it! Great choices on the sprinkles!

3. j grumblies

September 29, 2011 2:52 pm

oreo pops are amazing. that said, your version is SUPER ADORABLE. so, nice improvising.

4. Temerity Jane

September 29, 2011 2:53 pm

Hey, I think I could actually DO this! Thanks!

5. keli

September 29, 2011 3:01 pm

so freaking CUTE!!! i would have just eaten the whole bag of oreos and said, “screw it!”

6. burghbaby

September 29, 2011 3:14 pm

I don’t care what anyone says, the white allegedly melty chocolate is WAY too picky about temperature. I fought with that stuff for hours when I made Hello Kitty cake pops earlier this year. Other colors of melty chocolate work just fine, though.

Your improvisation is muy impressive!

7. Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks

September 29, 2011 3:35 pm

I LOVE how you improvised. Plus, Oreos on a stick might look cute, but you take one bite and the rest falls on the floor! I bet you wound up with less of a mess this way! I’d totally steal this idea for Gavin’s party, but … the chocolate shop where we’re having the party insists on providing all sweets for the party. Go figure. =)

8. Jennifer

September 29, 2011 4:26 pm

I must have trolled your Pinterest board in my sleep or something?… Because I pinned stuff for my son’s upcoming birthday a while back, but I keep seeing stuff I’ve pinned and want to do on your blog! I’m kind of bummed to hear that these Oreo Pops are difficult to make, because, like you, when I saw them I just assumed- EASY! But your improvising looks just as cute, so thanks for the back-up plan!

September 30, 2011 5:06 pm

They are deceivingly complicated, apparently. But I may try them again with the tutorial I linked (didn’t find that until after the fact! heh)

9. janet

September 29, 2011 4:44 pm

Oh my goodness…yes yes yes. I completely feel your Oreo Pop pain! I mean…what kind of white chocolate were those other people using that they are keeping secret from us? As you know, mine was a total fail, too.

However, I think your finished product is quite lovely. I’d eat em!

10. Stefanie

September 29, 2011 5:54 pm

The secret to smooth chocolate is to melt it in a double pot. Fill one pot with water and put a smaller pot with the chocolate in the bigger one. Bring the water too a slight boil. Voila the chocolate will melt to just the right consistency and you will be able to dip anything in it. Microwaves don’t do a great job melting the chocolate. :)

September 30, 2011 5:10 pm

I wondered about that! I figured it wouldn’t make a difference but there was definitely something funky with the consistency of the chocolate.

11. Michelle

September 29, 2011 9:10 pm

I am impressed with your adaptability!

September 29, 2011 9:38 pm

Cute!! I absolutely love the sprinkles you used! Perfect with the polka dot theme. :)

And really, Oreos are Oreos. Who needs sticks? NOM.

P.S. I second what Stefanie said about the “double boiler” method–that’s what I did for the Oreo truffles I made last year, and the melted chocolate was smoother and easier to work with. Just for future reference! :)

13. jesser

September 29, 2011 9:55 pm

I’ve always used “chocolate bark” for dipping stuff like this. It’s all over the place around the holidays but usually you can find it year-round too if you look at a couple of stores. It melts easily and is super smooth. I think it’s just normal chocolate with extra fat added. ;)

Excellent improvising tho – I think they turned out cuter than the originals. Though I am a sucker for stuff on a stick.

14. Andrea

October 4, 2011 10:04 am

Ha! I had no idea they were a fail! :) Also, good to know, about the chocolate… Btw- I’m pretty sure Maggie and Bridget ate 3/4ths of that tray. :)