do yinz guys have an accent n’at? (an accent vlog)

So I did it. I took a break from work, sat down in my living room on a Friday afternoon by myself, and talked to my computer. Like a crazy person.

But it was all in the name of fun and sharing accents! Lyndsay and Sarah and quite a few others have done this as well. Some of us who are going to The Blathering thought it would be fun to participate since we’ll be meeting in person in just a few weeks (EEEEE!) so it’s like a little preview of our in person chats! (Though even if you aren’t going to The Blathering, you can still TOTALLY DO THIS! It’s not exclusive! We want to hear your voice and see your pretty face!)

Okay. Here’s me. In my living room. Dorkface.

(The Stuff You’re Supposed To Say)

Say the following words:
Aunt, route, wash, oil, theatre, iron, salmon, caramel, fire, water, sure, data, ruin, crayon, toilet, New Orleans, pecan, both, again, probably, spitting image, Alabama, lawyer, coupon, mayonnaise, syrup, pajamas, caught

And answer these questions:

What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
What is the bug that curls into a ball when you touch it?
What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?
What do you call gym shoes?
What do you say to address a group of people?
What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?
What do you call your grandparents?
What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
What is the thing you use to change the TV channel?

1. Rebecca (Bearca)

You are super cute, Jen! And I don’t think you have an accent at all. I was kind of hoping for some serious Pittsburghese, though. :)

Sep 30 5:30 pm

ha nope, no crazy Pittsburghese from me. Some family members though… YIKES. LOL

Oct 3 12:27 pm

2. C @ Kid Things
    @kidthingsnet

I live in Illinois, and we sound and say pretty much the same. Others have said I do have a slight southern accent, but I’m not going to make a vlog to poll it. ;) Brave woman. I do call it soda, though.

Sep 30 5:56 pm

3. Becca
    @beccasanborn

heh I think it’s funny that the people above say you don’t have an accent because from this Southern gal, you definitely have an accent… but I know I do too, so it’s all good. :)

I’ve heard your voice before through other videos but this time I realized how much of a Northern accent you have. It’s interesting hearing the differences in what we call items, like I’ve always called soft drinks coke, which is definitely a Southern thing.

Sep 30 6:55 pm

4. Amazing absence of any Pittsburghese. When we moved south, my husband used to teach his southern friends Pittsburghese – they thought it was hilarious. Then he said he was “fixin’ to” do something and I told him he had to stop taking southern lessons in return.

Sep 30 7:18 pm

I actually think it’s pretty impressive that both my husband and myself have lived here for our entire lives and we really don’t have the Pittsburghese thing going for us. Granted, we’re in the northern suburbs so maybe that helps keep me from becoming too much Yinzer? ha :)

Oct 3 12:30 pm

5. Other than “syrup” I would never have guessed a life long Pittsburgher (other than I knew that already, teehee)

Sep 30 9:02 pm

6. Liz

I found this so interesting. I grew up outside of Syracuse, so not all that far from you, but I’ve lived in California for almost 10 years now. When I head home, I can hear the accent of everyone in centeral NY and my husband says I still talk like that. I found that I say most of the words exactly like you, with a few differences. There is a map out there somewhere of the geographic places where people say soda/pop/coke and my hometime is right on the brink between soda & pop, so I grew up hearing both, though I always say soda. The one that surprised me though is the tennis shoes cause my husband (a Cali native) always says tennis shoes and I argue with him that they are sneakers. Cause, uh, I wear them and don’t play tennis. I thought it was an east coast/ west coast difference, but so interesting that you say tennis shoes like him!

Oct 1 10:57 am

7. Jesabes
    @jesabesblog

So far, I haven’t heard many accents in these vlogs. Even Sarah Lena didn’t have much of a southern accent. You don’t sound like you have an accent to me. Looking forward to meeting you all!

Oct 1 12:38 pm

8. keli
    @kelihoskins

so fun!!! okay, okay … i’ll do it. maybe. if i feel pretty enough one day, lol

Oct 1 7:01 pm

DO IT!! You have an adorable accent from the bits I’ve heard on other videos of your girls. I love southern accents :)

Oct 3 12:31 pm

9. Cari
    @mattieflap

I grew up in MI and I used to have a very different accent. But, I’m HORRIBLY susceptible to picking up accents. If I spend any time in the south (a week or so), I come back with a drawl. When I went to Ireland, I had to work not to start up with the accent (I didn’t want to offend anyone). So, when I moved here, all my vowels shifted and my parents say I sound different. Worse, I can hear the difference in my parents – certain things are much more nasal than I think they should be anymore.

That said, I still have some holdout words. I use “sneakers” for gym shoes- something I got from my Jersey-raised mother. It’s soda, not pop. I say “coo-pon” not “cue-pon.” I said “cran” instead of “cray-on” as a child but now I think I’ve got the two syllable thing down pat. I switch between “seer-up” and “sir-up” because of the move and I no longer remember what I said as a kid.

I REFUSE to use yinz, dahntahn, etc. I have slipped up a couple times and had “n’at” sneak out. But I’ve been horrified every time. I constantly make my child correct himself to “Pittsburgh” not “Picksburgh.”

Oct 2 8:10 am

ha yeah n’at is another one we say ONLY IRONICALLY. My mom says ‘cran’ but I never really did I don’t think? Moving around always makes the accent thing more interesting!

Oct 3 12:32 pm

Your voice is so cute! (I haaate my voice. heh) But yeah, yours is not really an accent compared to mine. ;) My former college roommate, who went to school with you, also said “slippy” instead of slippery and it used to crack me up!

I actually used to think about doing this kind of vlog because I often get asked “where I’m from.” People seem to think I sound like I’m from New England… ??? I don’t hear it though.

Oct 2 10:42 am

I’ve been told I sound like I’m from Texas. I think the girl was high or something, because REALLY? HA

Oct 3 12:33 pm

11. Sunshine
    @littlemisssun

You sound like me. :)

My husband thinks it’s funny to hear true ‘Pittsburghese.’ Because, as you said, there are some people you can hardly understand.

So, do you say ‘creek’ or ‘crick’ for a small stream? My whole family (except for me) says crick.

Oct 3 1:04 pm

I used to! I think I say creek now though. Not sure why that changed??

Oct 3 1:27 pm

• Dave (Scrumpy Daddy)
        @scrumpydaddy

I would reply to that with “You went to college.”

Seriously; that is the time when we seem to most fiercely defend the regional things we say (like pop) but yet, due to all the criticism, analysis, and pressure, in addition to just being around certain people all the time in college, we tend to adjust our own speech patterns.

I grew up saying “woosh” for wash, gumband, and crick, but I very clearly now say wash, rubber band, and creek. Though I also grew up saying iron much more clearly than I do now…I have more Yinzer in me with that word and the good old “ahrn”…that may just be laziness, though, heh! I used to be very careful to sound “unaccented” and professional near the end of college and the few years thereafter. I think I have gotten lazy and need to refocus on my speech patterns, though.

FYI, you’re cute. I love the self-commentary!

Oct 6 7:57 am

12. you are cute. these are fun!

Oct 3 1:30 pm

13. Oh FINE. I’ll do it. But I’ll never be as cute as you and grumblies.

Oct 3 10:44 pm

14. Andrea
    @ajh_rigs

Fun!!! I grew up an hour North of you, but had NEVER heard Pittsburghese until GCC. And honestly, I was horrified. :p

Oct 4 10:13 am

15. samantha jo campen
    @samanthajcampen

I had the biggest dumbest smile on my face because IMMA GONNA SEE YOU SOOOOOON!

Oct 5 5:05 pm

16. Elisabeth
    @Epsnider

You should definitely do another one! You’re fun to watch :D I pronounce things mostly the same way that you do except I pronounce route as “root”,

Oct 8 10:39 pm