homecoming weekend

This weekend we celebrated our 10th college reunion. TEN YEARS. That means it has been 14 years since I moved into my freshman dorm room, scared, excited, clueless about how to do laundry, having no idea what amazing things the next four years would hold.

so hard to believe

While I don’t use my degree anymore (a BS in biology isn’t all that useful for designing and building websites, as it turns out), I still don’t regret my decision to attend Grove City. Dan and I made lifelong friends there, and we got a fantastic education for life- career changes notwithstanding :) Plus- the place is just gorgeous.

The campus has obviously changed a lot since we graduated. Entire buildings have been demolished, and in their places are beautiful, impressive structures that make me want to strive to learn and be smart and stuff.

Outside the student union

Breen Student Union. Quite a bit different than when we were here!

Homecoming weekend had the usual attractions: we marched in the parade with our reunion class. There was a marching band.

marching band

Maggie got her face painted.

face painting

face painting

The girls followed in their mama’s footsteps as GCC cheerleaders!

GO GCC!

GO GCC!

Lots of walking around campus, showing Maggie our old dorms, the bookstore, the football field, Rainbow Bridge, a boy getting ‘creeked’ (Newly engaged boys get thrown into Wolf Creek. It’s a gross tradition that Dan’s friends thankfully forgot about by the time spring came around [he proposed in December right before finals!])

cotton candy

strolling through campus

testing the waters

campus

banner

But after all of that personal reflection on our college days, trying to share some bit of our history with our kids… their favorite part? THE WATER FOUNTAIN, OF COURSE!

playing by the fountain

fountain

...three...

What a bunch of goofballs.

weirdo.

That’s definitely one perk to going to a smaller private college–it’s probably easier to have reunions and stay in touch with everyone. I don’t *think* my class had an official reunion, but there were probably a few thousand of us! (My actual nursing class, however, only accounted for about 28 students.)

GCC looks like a beautiful campus. How fun to share it with your kids now, too! I’m sure they’ll love it and appreciate it much more when they’re older. :) It would be crazy if they ended up going there, too!

Also: TEN YEARS. Howwwww.

Sep 25 10:21 pm

I DON’T KNOW HOW. !!!!

There was no official reunion fancy party or anything- a mixer on Friday night (maybe 10 people from our class of around 600!) then a picnic tent at Homecoming. Still fun though :)

Sep 25 11:29 pm

2. Very cool event! We need a “I don’t use my degree!” club. ;)

Sep 25 10:23 pm

3. keli
    @kelihoskins

super fun!!! maggie is such a little ham – i just love her!

Sep 25 11:03 pm

4. That’s so fun that you could take the girls there – they are so cute!

Doing the mental calculations and I think you were there at the same time as someone I know from my high school. Makes the world seem smaller :-)

I’ve been avoiding my old campus for years, thinking it will be depressing to see that they’ve torn down both the husband’s and my old dorms, along with a bunch of other neat old buildings. Perhaps it wouldn’t be so bad to see what’s new.

And yeah, count me in to the “I don’t use my degree” club as well!

Sep 25 11:13 pm

I thought it would be sad to see the buildings we used gone, but honestly it was pretty cool to see the new stuff! They are doing work right now on the science building where I spent most of my time, so that’s a little strange but it definitely needed some work. They’ve done a great job at preserving the feel of the campus while upgrading and adding new things!

Who is the person you know? (you can email me privately if you want, curious if I know them!)

Sep 25 11:32 pm

5. Tracy
    @overmom

I love, love, love pictures from behind. The one of the girls with the water is priceless. It is nice that you got to take them to see your old stomping grounds :)

Sep 26 8:01 am

6. I love the pictures! The ones by the fountain are amazing. Glad you had fun and could bring the little ones

Sep 27 9:21 pm

7. Allison
    @AllisonB

So fun! It does look like a beautiful campus.

And yeah, a degree in biology ended up being pretty worthless for me, too, but I never for a second have regretted getting it!

I love that picture of Dan and Audrey by the fountain! Adorable.

Sep 28 10:33 am

ha well at least you’re kinda sorta using it in something related to health and the body :) When I tell clients I have a degree in biology but NO NO, I CAN TOTALLY BUILD YOU A WEBSITE!, I get some funny looks….

Sep 28 12:37 pm