in which I update you on my Incredible Workout Regimen

For the past few weeks, I’ve been making good on my promise to myself to Get My Butt Moving And Exercise More. It hasn’t been easy to find the time between work and the girls and Dan being out of town for a few days last week. But I just take it a day at a time and try to at least do SOMETHING every other day (even if that SOMETHING is painting the office or cleaning up the house- because hey! That’s totally better than sitting on the couch shoving food in my face hole!)

What I’ve Been Doing:

1. Couch To 5K: You guys, I AM RUNNING. Like, for real running, and I’m actually kinda liking it. I mean- I’m only in Week 2 so I’m not running for more than 90 seconds at a time yet, but STILL. That’s something, I think. I even didn’t let myself use the Impending Thunderstorm as an excuse to cut my run short this past weekend and finished the whole workout- all while Dan was standing at the door as I ran by, yelling at me to “GET INSIDE THERE IS LIGHTNING YOU IDIOT!” But I had one run session left and I finished. And did the cool down by walking around the first floor of the house because woo-boy that thunder was getting close. (Also: a huge thank you to Dan for being awesome about letting me escape the insanity of our house to run 3 times a week.)

2. Cardio Boxing on the Kinect. I’ve done this a few times when it was too hot or rainy or I wouldn’t have time to run later. It’s something I can do while the baby naps (I’ve been sucking at the whole ‘wake up before the girls and go for a run’ because I wake up STARVING and need breakfast before I do anything, and there’s just not enough time for both before they get up for the day.) Maggie likes to be my ‘personal trainer’, which just means that she sits on the couch and watches, every once in a while jumping up to pretend punch things, then saying WOO! I NEED A DRINK! then chugging her water really loudly. Anyway- I really like this game (game?) on the Kinect and it’s a good intense workout for 20-30 minutes. I did it yesterday and um… I’m really sore. So.

3. No snacking. Okay so maybe not NO snacking- but very little. My biggest issue for a while was afternoon foodfests when the girls and I were home this summer. Chips, then maybe something sweet, then maybe something else later… then dinner. Then ice cream or something after the girls went to bed. I’ve stopped most of it- though if I’m truly hungry, I’ll eat something. I’m not in the business of starving myself and I love food. I’ve just been trying to make better choices for those snacks. Like apples, even though they’re not my favorite. Being a Mature Snacker kind of blows sometimes, but whatever.

So that’s… basically all I’ve been doing. It’s really not all that exciting for everybody else, I suppose, but I wanted to hold myself accountable for my Mission and report back here. (And I know several of you are on the same Mission so Let’s Commiserate Together About Our Sore Muscles and Hungry Tummies!)

Regardless of what the scale says (DAMN THING HAS NOT BUDGED IN TWO WEEKS, WHAT THE HECK, STUPID SCALE?), I know it’s working. I didn’t take any initial measurements (kicking myself for that now), but my clothes are fitting differently. My shirts, my pants, my bras. I can feel actual MUSCLES developing in places that used to be squishy. And I just plain FEEL better, which was mostly the goal anyway.

The scale can bite me. Or maybe I’ll cardio-box it to death.икони

1. K
    @twoadults

“Mature Snacker”

HAHAHAHA! Love it.

Sep 7 4:26 pm

2. A'Dell
    @adellstevens

Oh my hell, the snacking. IT IS KILLING ME. I even stopped buying snacky stuff and I still invent snacky things out of condiments and it is BAD BAD BAD.

Good for you.

Sep 7 4:28 pm

3. Way to go! Stick with the Couch to 5K. I’m on week 9 and ran for 30 minutes last night. Nine weeks ago I couldn’t run 3 minutes at a time. And while last night was not easy, I did. And you can too! You’ll be amazed that in just a few short weeks you’ll think – wow, remember how hard 3 minutes was?!?

My scale quit budging too, or was budging so slowly that it was killing my motivation, so I actually stopped weighing. I figure I’m building muscle and muscle weighs more than fat, so…. Anyhoo, now that I’ve been doing it a while I can see a difference. I advocate that everybody show throw their scale away.

Keep up the awesome work!!

Sep 7 4:37 pm

Yup, I KNOW I’m putting on muscle, I can see it and feel it. I’m guessing that eventually with running, I’ll stop building so much muscle and things will even out and my weight will probably drop a little. But I honestly don’t even care- as long as my PANTS size drops, that’s all I care about :)

Sep 9 10:52 am

4. Kris

Awesome! Keep it up!

Sep 7 4:39 pm

I know it’s hard but you’re doing GREAT! Getting started and changing your daily routine to include exercise is the hardest part. The actual weight loss will catch up soon… just keep at it!

Sep 7 5:01 pm

6. keli
    @kelihoskins

the snacking is the hardest thing for me because i kind of want to eat when the girls eat, which is approximately 24 times a day. doesn’t help that i don’t really eat MEALS, so i pretty much just snack all day long, lol. but replacing crap with Mature Snacks is great! :) so proud of you!

Sep 7 5:23 pm

YES! Maggie eats a thousand times a day, so I’m all ‘oh, I’ll have one too! Fun Maggie/Mommy Snack time!’ The thing is, she runs around like a maniac and burns all that off in 5 minutes, plus eats nothing for dinner. I snack and eat a huge plate at dinner. So. Not so much working for me. LOL

Sep 9 10:54 am

7. Jesabes
    @jesabesblog

I just started the Couch to 5K again this week! I did it last fall, but stopped running when I got pregnant and the morning sickness made even getting off the couch sound like torture.

Sep 7 5:44 pm

Two years ago I started running a little (not C25K, just jogging for a few minutes here and there) It was going well for about a month, then it got cold… then a month later I found out I was pregnant with Audrey. Thus ended my Running Challenge. ha DAMN BABIES.

Sep 9 10:55 am

8. I am so glad to read you like the cardio boxing because I am humming and hawing over it. I can’t decide if it would be worth it.

Good luck with the rest of your journey.

Sep 7 9:05 pm

I LOVE IT! Kind of like TaeBo back in the 90s (remember TaeBo??) There are other activities on that Kinect game too- jumping games, balance games, personal training/aerobics etc. But so far the cardio boxing is my favorite. Makes me feel like I can kick anyone’s butt. ha

Sep 9 10:56 am

9. The snacking is my downfall. I still graze because that what I did while pregnant with Olivia and while breastfeeding with Olivia and now that she’s weaning I can’t graze all the time BUT I STILL DO. And those breastfeeding calories? News flash! They don’t come off if you don’t breastfeed!

Yeah. Snacking. It’s my Achilles heel.

Sep 7 10:53 pm

oh man when I stopped nursing back in February/March? IMMEDIATE STOPPAGE to the weight loss. I’ve been stuck since. It’s really amazing how much it consumes, calorie-wise!

I love snacks.

Sep 9 10:57 am

10. You are doing a great job Jen! I tell myself the same thing about the scale when it’s not moving as much or as quickly as I would like. And I have to agree about the snacking. It’s a huge downfall of mine. I love my night-time snack after the boys go to bed. Now instead of eating sweets or chips or something, I run and then have some greek yogurt. It gives me the protein I need after running and I still get my snack.

Keep up the good work!

Sep 8 7:54 am

You are doing awesome too- and losing the pounds which is great :) (I AM A LITTLE JEALOUS. heh) Last night I had an apple after the girls’ bedtime when I really really wanted something chocolatey. I’m so grown up. ha

Sep 9 10:58 am

11. Carla

I’m in week 7 of C25K and have been so proud of myself. I even ran in the rain (the rain!) last night. I used to be a devoted follower, but after a coffee + laptop incident have been trying hard to recover all of my favorite reads. Keep up the great work!

Sep 8 10:17 am

Yay for running in the rain! [And welcome back to reading :)]

Sep 9 10:58 am