new pants are only allowed if they’re in a smaller size

Audrey will be 11 months old very, very soon. I still have 11 lbs to lose to get down to what I weighed when I got myself knocked up with her.

WHOA. WEIRD NUMBER COINCIDENCE THERE.

Anyway. I gained about 35 pounds during that second pregnancy (not exactly sure how much because at the end, I kind of stopped paying attention or caring much. I was gigantic. The End.) I had a head start on things because I started at a lower weight than my first pregnancy. After she was born, the first 25 pounds or so of weight came off pretty easily. I breastfed Audrey for almost 5 months which helped allow me to eat just about whatever I wanted, even on the new Weight Watchers plan (I started that last December). I was even doing pretty well with exercising a few days a week. I slowly and steadily lost weight until March.

But then The Perfect Storm Of Weight Loss Sabotage happened. I stopped breastfeeding. The baby became mobile AND started teething/not sleeping all that great. Extra time and energy for exercise became scarce. Life got busy and hectic keeping track of two moving children plus working and keeping up with normal daily chores and I started rewarding myself for surviving the days by plopping my growing butt on the couch after the girls were in bed (9:00pm if I was lucky) and eating ice cream, cookies, pie, cake… whatever we happened to have around.

I had started getting into a really good routine with meeting my mom a few evenings each week and walking a few miles with her. But that hasn’t happened in about a month. It has been hot as Hades outside so I spend most days hiding inside, declaring my neverending love to whoever invented air conditioning. Then I caught tuberculosis or whatever this crap is that’s been in my lungs for nearly three weeks. So exercise has been the last thing on my priority list. I played three games of volleyball with the neighbors last weekend and I seriously thought I might die or at least cough up a kidney after all the exertion. My body is clearly not ready for me to start moving again yet. Hopefully another few days and my lungs will be back to normal. COUGH COUGH HACK.

All of this to say: I need to get back to work on this whole weight loss thing. I am SO! CLOSE! to being back to my own personal ‘happy’ weight and size (because everybody’s is different, you know) I know what my body feels like when it’s being treated well and this… well, this is definitely not it.

I don’t have a clear plan, to be perfectly honest. I have had great success with Weight Watchers in the past, but I don’t think I’m going that route for this last bit of weight. Partly because the new points plan is a lot more strict about things than before and I was finding it nearly impossible to even come close to the 29 points a day it allowed me (I like carbs, you guys.) But it’s also partly because I don’t think that food is necessarily what I need to focus on. I mean, I WILL be cutting back on desserts (*CRY*) and I’m going to try reallyreallyhard to eat less cheese and eat more veggies and fruits. You know, common sense, obvious stuff.

I know that what I need to do is get my butt off the couch and move.

It’s not going to be easy. Like every other parent out there, I don’t get a lot of free time to myself. I might be able to sneak 30 minutes here and there to write a blog post while the baby is napping and Maggie is eating a snack and watching Sesame Street (GUESS WHAT EVERYONE IN OUR HOUSE IS DOING RIGHT NOW?? ha) but it’s rare. Usually my ‘free’ time includes such glamorous activities such as emptying the dishwasher, switching the laundry, prepping dinner, or answering client emails I’ve been ignoring all day. And when the kids are finally in bed? I just want to SIT. IN THE DARK. AND ENJOY THE QUIET AND NOBODY TOUCHING ME.

But of course, when I sit there on the couch, I usually have some company. Usually something chocolatey. Mmmmmm…

(GEE. I DON’T KNOW WHY I’VE GAINED FIVE POUNDS IN THE PAST FEW MONTHS.)

Some things I’m going to try so this is successful:

• Wake up before the girls and exercise. This means setting my alarm for 6am or possibly earlier on a NON-WORK DAY. You guys, THE HUMANITY!!!!! In the past I haven’t had much luck with early morning exercise. My body is not a fan. We’ll see how it goes.
  • Workout ‘with’ Maggie on the Kinect while Audrey naps. This is probably going to be the easiest to find time for, because thankfully Audrey is pretty predictable napper (something I did NOT have with Maggie at this age! I feel so spoiled!) I usually use her naps to do chores- dishes, laundry, etc.- or play a game or color with Maggie. But I think I just need to ignore the To Do List and involve Maggie and it will be two birds with one stone.
  • Walking/(running?) in the evenings. I bought new running shoes a month ago and have yet to actually wear them. How sad. As soon as it stops being so freaking hot outside even after dinnertime, I’m getting back out there. Hopefully Dan is willing to man the battle stations for the girls’ bedtimes now and then. Also, I have running? up there because… it’s been a looong time since I ran. Like high school plus a brief few weeks during the fall before I got pregnant with Audrey. I’d like to slowly work my way up to running again.

So that’s my plan. Sorta. I don’t know. I’m sure I will have good weeks and bad weeks. I’ve done this weight loss thing enough to know that you just need to forgive yourself for the bad days/weeks and keep going. Learn from it. Fix it. There’s no easy solution, unfortunately. I’m just tired of feeling TIRED and crappy and weak and flabby.

Plus I miss my old shirts and pants and I REALLY don’t want to have to buy a whole new wardrobe in a bigger size for this fall. </superficial> :)

1. keli
    @kelihoskins

you can do it … you can!!! i’ll be honest, the morning wakeups were HARD in the beginning, but i’m actually used to them, now. this morning, lucy woke up as i was leaving, and as i was nursing her, i couldn’t WAIT to get out for my run. that sounds totally crazy, i know, but the moral of this story is … give it a couple of months of NOT WANTING TO DO IT. but then, you’ll feel so much better and so much healthier. and it will get easier.

Aug 4 4:35 pm

I long for that feeling! Of WANTING to get out there, wanting to run (or even just walk!) Most of the time, it’s forced. But mind over matter, and I know it will come… eventually :)

Aug 8 10:31 pm

2. Jessica

You can do it! Although I have not had children, I can tell you my experience with running. As a runner, I can tell you that you just need to start out small. Run a quarter mile the first couple of times, then up it by a quarter of a mile when you are ready….pretty soon you will be running a couple of miles. I have found that the first two miles are the longest and then most people can run forever. I can’t find any other exercise that works as well as running for weight control, and you can do it anywhere at anytime (as long as your husband can watch the girls for about 40 minutes. Good luck!

Aug 4 5:22 pm

Good to know!! I downloaded the Couch to 5K thingy for my phone. After a few weeks of walking and getting my legs ready for it (I have a history of knee issues), I’m going to start. I’ve heard good things about it from people who have NEVER run, because it gradually increases the length of the runs. I used to run track and cross country in high school, I somehow got suckered into doing the 2-mile in track and boy did I hate it! But it was running in circles, not the same as running on roads/in the woods, you know?

Aug 8 10:34 pm

Losing weight after a baby is harder than losing weight before kids. And losing weight after baby #2 is harder than #1. At least for me it has been–and Andrew is 21 months old! :(

I stopped losing weight last August when Andrew was about 9 months old and I have been stuck ever since at the 8lb-to-go mark (although I should probably give myself more credit for losing the first 50 lb). I tried giving up dairy, giving up meat AND dairy for 6 weeks (and I already don’t eat carbs, so that was HARD), running (C25K), 30-day shred, cardio pilates, frustratingly normal blood work and finally just flat-out crying at the doctor’s office… lol. BUT: I’m obviously not normal. Any normal person can lose weight by making small changes in their eating and exercise habits–so you can do this! It sounds like you’ve got a good *flexible* plan to work with and the motivation to make time (I really do think making time is half the battle, as a mom). And then I can live vicariously through your fall shopping, yay! ;) Good luck!!

Aug 4 6:10 pm

Every time I hear your frustrations with your diet and exercise, I want to HUG YOU. I cannot imagine how hard you’ve worked with very little results, grrr. At least I can blame myself for being a lazy pig! LOL You are a rockstar, lady.

I’m hoping I don’t actually have to do much fall shopping (though maybe a few things as a reward!) because if I can lose this last bit, I’ll be able to fit into my old stuff again. WHEEEE!

Aug 8 10:37 pm

4. Jane
    @seejane

oh, so understand! I have just about 2-4# left to lose. and I’ve been trying since January! I know it’s the exercise… I started couch to5K, because “They have an app for that” and it has gotten me running again and loving it! Now just need to figure out how to rid the house of ice cream (eating it myself does not count)

Aug 5 11:43 am

5. Oh, how I feel you on this post. Only, I’m a lot further away than 11 lbs from where I need/want to be. I know what my plan *should* be … eat better, exercise more. Seems so simple. But, the whole baby thing throws a wrench in those plans, like ALL THE TIME.

Though, I did manage to lose a few pounds over vacation. I know, right? All you need to do is contract a nasty eye infection and a fever that spikes to 104 … then, all you want to do is lie in bed and not eat or do a thing … I’m pretty sure those pounds literally melted away (talk about hotter than Hades – we had no A/C!).

Anyway, I know the collective WE can do it … I’m just not sure how long it’ll take! Thanks for reminding me I’m not alone in this struggle/battle!

Aug 5 11:53 am

LOL yeah back in early spring I had a stomach bug and lost 3 pounds in just two days. Of course I gained it right back because I was all FOOOOD OMG FOOOOODDDDD! But it was effective, at least! Just not… what I would recommend to a friend. ha

We can do this! These babies are just going to have to cooperate, dang it.

Aug 8 10:39 pm

6. It is so hard to find the time and energy once you have multiple children. I have a similar story to yours and have just recently got re-motivated and moving again. And it feels good once you do it! A few suggestions of what I did… I joined a class to get me going again… nothing too time consuming, 1 hour once a week. And what about incorporating your kids into it rather than trying to do it during “you” time… A double jogger can be your best friend. Just remember to pack snacks, books, etc to keep them occupied and end the brisk walk with a stop at a park ( this works well for bribing along the way to behave!).
    Good luck to you… you can do it!!!!

Aug 5 4:19 pm

I used to do some yoga/pilates classes when Maggie was a baby, I loved them! But the place close to us doesn’t have the classes I like during a convenient time so I haven’t gone that route yet. But I did well with that, once I was there it was like peer pressure to do everything hardcore. Much different than in my living room with a video where I can just shut it off halfway through and go make a sandwich :)

Aug 8 10:43 pm

7. Oh, I know and love the list… You write it out, plan how it could work, see the various pitfalls, and just feel that this time might be different, this time the montage of you actually getting up early, or running in the evenings will work… I wish you more luck than I have with my “Better Me Lists”. It sounds like you’re on the right track.

Aug 8 12:09 pm

8. The Perfect Storm of Weight Loss Sabotage – I love it! I mean, I don’t love the predicament, just the way you put it. Too funny! I don’t even have any kids yet and I still have things like this happen, so don’t feel too bad. Sometimes that chocolate is just TOO hard to resist – and don’t even get me started on Nutella. ;)

~Rosie