what is the reason for the season again?

Last Christmas was Maggie’s first experience where she really knew what was happening and she was SO. EXCITED. in the weeks leading up to it. We went to sit on Santa’s lap (no tears!) and Santa came to our neighborhood on a firetruck and gave her Finding Nemo (which just HAPPENED to be the exact same thing we had bought for her- COINCIDENCE!) She was super into the whole Santa Thing and finally got the ‘He Brings Me Presents!’ thing.

So.

When the big Target toy catalog thing came in the mail last week, you can imagine her delight. She KNOWS Christmas is coming and that means PRESENTS. Right?

Just to see what would happen, I gave her a crayon and told her to go through the book and circle anything she might want. It went just about how you’d imagine…

GIMME GIMME GIMME

A Zhu Zhu pet! Of course! She only has one… she calls it her ‘skinny pig’ (guinea pig).

GIMME GIMME GIMME

Nevermind the fact that she already has a shopping cart. Only hers isn’t pink.

This is where it starts getting kind of funny. SHE ONLY CIRCLES THE PINK THINGS. She’s very careful not to circle anything non-girly. On just about every single page.

GIMME GIMME GIMME

Except this page- she circled that monster/ogre thing. I have no idea what that is, and I’m 99.9% sure she doesn’t either. BUT! A little GIRL is playing with it! SO SHE MUST HAVE IT, ZOMG!

GIMME GIMME GIMME

Then there are a few pages of boy-type toys. Blocks, trains, building things. SKIPPED. SKIPPED. SKIPPED.

aaaand… we’re back to pink.

GIMME GIMME GIMME

(She even got the coupon section. Hey! At least she’s trying to save Santa some cash!)

GIMME GIMME GIMME

She also already has a kitchen. But hers isn’t PIIIINNNKKK!

GIMME GIMME GIMME

A little light on that page… perhaps she got distracted by something shiny. Or pink.

GIMME GIMME GIMME

That page might be my favorite. She finds the one pink thing and it gets a circle. Even though she ALREADY HAS A PINK PRINCESS BIKE EXACTLY LIKE THAT. ha

GIMME GIMME GIMME

Don’t forget the back cover! The best gift of all- a BOX OF PRINCESSES! OMG MOMMY! PRINCESSES!!!!!

Clearly we are doing something wrong. And clearly, we need to get this kid a book about the REAL meaning of Christmas.

You know, COOKIES.

1. Hahaha! She knows what she wants, can’t fault her there! I let Evan go through the Toys R Us big toy book, too. He was careful on the first few pages, pointing out the dinosaurs and trains, but then he resorted to waving his hands over both pages, very Karate Kid “wax on, wax off”, saying “Mom, I want all doze. And all doze. And all deeze. And all doze.” OK, kiddo, we need to work on our self control.

Nov 16 8:12 am

It seems like there’s something that kicks in around this age that makes them WANT EVERYTHING. It’s not even taught to them! (at least not in our house) But there they go, wanting it all. LOL

Nov 16 9:11 am

2. Seriously. I picked T up from daycare yesterday and got to hear about “Baby All Gone” for about the next 3 hours. Clearly there’s some marketing geniuses out there with my kid’s number.

Nov 16 9:06 am

3. My kid, the super dork, went through the exact same catalog and circled all of TWO THINGS. TWO THINGS which I will not buy under any circumstances whatsoever because she already has them. WTF? Santa is not happy with this whole thing getting complicated.

Nov 16 9:30 am

4. Korinna
    @twoadults

We received the Toys R Us Big Toy Book and Ezra took it with him EVERYWHERE. To naptime to look at before passing out, in his high chair to browse through before dinner, on the car ride to church and school. He called it his “atalog” and only forgot about it once the Target one showed up.

Nov 16 9:41 am

5. LOL our son is doing the same thing with the Toys R Us Toy Book. Somehow we ended up with two of them and he circled different things in both. He is however making sure to circle girl toys for his 3 month old sister.

Nov 16 9:53 am

aw well that’s sweet at least! Maggie hasn’t even mentioned any gifts for her sister. We may need to ‘encourage’ that one ;)

Nov 16 11:40 am

6. I might be the only person that thinks that this is totally adorable. :)

Nov 16 11:46 am

7. OMG I LOVE that you had her circle things. My brother talks about doing this when he was a kid and often laments that nobody does this anymore… but I guess that’s not true, reading your comments here. ;)

Also, I can not BELIEVE you have not seen that big monster thing. Do you never go to Target??? ;) (Or maybe you just don’t have a boy – we have to look at that toy every. single. time we go to Target. It’s in a huge plastic case on the edge of the aisle.)

Nov 16 12:52 pm

hm yeah we go to Target but you’re right- it’s the PINK! PRINCESS! STUFF! that catches her eye. And I haven’t actually been there with her in a while (only venturing out with the baby so far!)

Nov 16 2:42 pm

Okay, admitted lurker here. My oldest is just slightly younger then Maggie (and named Audrey) and my 2nd will be delivered tomorrow (w/ a middle name of Margaret). So we’ve been following the same path. I did the same thing with the Target catalog with basically the same results. But, if you take her to Target and show her that ogre thing (they’ve got one set up so you can push a button and it’ll move and talk), she’ll probably change her mind. My A. freaked at it once it got going.

Nov 16 12:59 pm

okay first- CRAZY about the names :) And congrats/good luck tomorrow with the 2nd!

And yeah, you’re right- I’d imagine if she saw it in action, she’d be less interested. If it’s not pink and sparkly, it usually doesn’t get her attention. LOL

Nov 16 2:45 pm

9. My parents aren’t amuzed any more when I put circles in my Steelers merchandise catalog and send it to them. :(

Nov 16 3:20 pm

10. Priscilla
    @pgreen730

The bigfoot thing, Lincoln loves it and every time we go to Target, he has to go see it and let me tell you….he has everything it does memorized!!! I won’t be buying it because it is expensive and two days later, he would stop playing with it.

Nov 16 6:19 pm

11. red pen mama
    @redpenmamapgh

Flora stars everything she wants. Which is everything. But then she helps Kate pick out things too (“Look, Kate! This is for age 3!” And she picks out stuff for her baby brother, whose arrival is imminent, of course.

What slays me, is every year they get three things (plus their stockings). Three. One comes from Santa, the other two come from Mommy and Daddy.

Maybe she’s being hopeful rather than greedy? ;)

Also: I love the new tagline. Perfect.

Nov 17 11:57 am

12. I love that she circled stuff she has. See Santa can just wrap stuff she has and spend the cash on cookies or whatever Santa desires. And when she realized that Santa regifted her you can totally pull out that catalog and show her that she really wanted it.

Nov 17 7:27 pm