thirty-six.

So. I’ve made it.

36 weeks

36 weeks

Week 36 of pregnancy seems to be a milestone of sorts. Nine months. It’s official.

Just like it’s also official that ZOMG I’M HUGE.

Some stuff about this pregnancy that’s different than my first pregnancy:

1. Braxton Hicks. I had them with Maggie, but at the time I had no idea that’s what I was feeling. I just thought it was the baby stretching. Then once labor started I was all, ooooooohhhh! DUH! But even still, they were NEVER consistent nor were they all that frequent. This time? After last week’s marathon of time-able contractions for TWO DAYS, things have definitely slowed down. But they are more intense and more frequent than the first time around- pretty much 2 to 4 per hour all the time. We’ll see on Friday if anything is actually HAPPENING as a result of all of these.

2. Weight gain. So far I’ve gained 35 pounds. I gained about 40 with Maggie. But I feel SO much different, not nearly as flabby and gross. Part of that is because even though my weight gain is close to the same, I’m about 10 pounds less overall (thanks to being lighter to start with, WOO!) Plus I’ve spent most of the summer chasing a three-year-old around, so that helps keep things in check. But also, I just think I’ve gained weight so much differently- hardly anything in my legs/thighs (I have stretch marks there from my first pregnancy!) and not as much in my arms this time. Overall, I feel pretty good about my weight gain- I’ve been enjoying myself with the food, but I haven’t been completely disgusting about it (because I pay with heartburn if I do!) Another interesting weight-related tidbit? I weighed myself this morning, and I’ve lost 2 pounds since last week. SOMEONE GIMME SOME ICE CREAM, STAT!

3. ITCHY. BELLY. I find it weird that I’m having such issues with this lately, given the fact that it’s summer and humid and when I was pregnant with Maggie, it was winter and very dry and I never had much trouble with itchy belly skin. But this time? IT WAKES ME UP. I have a tube of lotion next to my bed and I’ve been found lubing up my belly at 3am. True story.

4. Ready to be done. I never got to this point with Maggie. I’m guessing mostly it had to do with the fact that I was nervous about being a parent so I felt better about her staying inside my belly- at least I knew she was safe in there and I couldn’t screw up too badly! As far as I was concerned, she could stay in there forever. But this time around, I am ready. SO READY. If it weren’t for some work-related loose ends to tie up, I’d be doing jumping jacks and eating spicy food and working in the yard and doing all those things I’m not supposed to be doing to get labor started. I know it will be hard once she’s born and we’re so tired from waking up every couple of hours and the recovery after labor might be rough… but I know now that it gets better. It gets easier. Things get back to ‘normal’. And really, there IS a cure for tired- taking a nap while baby does! There is only ONE CURE FOR BEING NINE MONTHS PREGNANT.

Let’s get this show on the road, man.

1. Stephine

September 2, 2010 2:28 am

I remember when you posted that you were pregnant and your first belly picture, such a huge difference. I hope you have her soon, for your body’s sake! Haha.

2. Becca

September 2, 2010 2:45 am

I know I’m quiet, but I still lurk here all the time and follow your Twitter religiously. You know I love you to pieces, and am SO excited for the new arrival… Nothing hugely important to say; just that you’re gorgeous, wonderful, and ALMOST THERE! ?

3. Candace

September 2, 2010 3:18 am

Woohoo!! Almost there!! :-) I was 36 weeks when Zoey was born and was NOT ready at all. It sounds like you are most definitely ready.. Way to go Mama!

4. Laura

September 2, 2010 3:19 am

Hehe. You do look great and I’m glad you’re feeling it, too.
    I wasn’t ready, either… NOT at 36 weeks. But if you had hit 40 weeks, you would have been ready. READY! I cried every day at that point. I’m hoping you don’t go that long if you’re already itching to be done. Literally. HEE. ;)
    I’m looking forward to stalking your blog/twitter/fb/stuff in the weeks to come.

September 2, 2010 3:23 am

Yay for being in the home stretch! You look fabulous!!

I know very well the feeling of being done (41w5d with O, 39w5d with A) so you have my sympathy on that. The last month is HARD. Hopefully she’ll cook just a *little* bit longer though. From 38 weeks on, both babies and mommies have less complications. I’m definitely NOT judging about how you feel though–just wishing the best for you & baby girl! (sorry, it’s just the nurse in me!)

Should I tell you now or wait until later about the “napping while baby naps” and “getting back to normal” parts? :)

I’m so, so happy for you guys. You’re going to have a wonderful, wild time as a family of four!

September 2, 2010 11:45 am

ha oh don’t worry- I know the Real Truth about ‘normal’ and ‘napping while baby naps’. I did NOT nap when Maggie was a baby at all, and I regret not taking advantage when I could. Maggie will be going to school still 3 days a week (preschool starts next week!) so I’ll at least have a few semi-mellow days at home with the baby. Tuesdays and Thursdays though, when she’s home too… I think I might cry. LOL

And I agree, another week or so and I’ll feel better about her coming! That’s why I was a bit freaked last week when I was having all those contractions, not even 36 weeks yet. Chances are she’d be just fine, but you worry, you know? As much as I’d love to not be pregnant anymore right now, I’m glad she’s still tucked in there for a bit ;) (BUT NOT TOO LONG. HEAR THAT, KID???)

6. Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks

September 2, 2010 12:24 pm

I love hearing how not just every woman has unique pregnancies, but every pregnancy seems to be unique. It just means that child you’re carrying has already had her own set of experiences that differ from Maggie’s … nothing wrong with a little individuality! Big milestone for you – congrats!

7. Susan

September 2, 2010 2:25 pm

That’s a huge accomplishment! (no pun intended)

Glad to see you are ready and feeling good overall — it will be here before you know it.

8. janet

September 2, 2010 4:25 pm

I can’t believe how fast this went by (in my mind, at least). It will be over, or um just beginning, SO SOON!

9. the ambitious mrs

September 2, 2010 4:28 pm

I had the itchy belly and I had the GET OUT NOW feeling SO MUCH with my second pregnancy. Snuggle your first baby now before she looks like SUCH a big girl to you soon!

10. Claudia

September 2, 2010 4:56 pm

holy moly! You look so wonderful but also so…BIG! :) Congratulations on the nine month mark. It’s so close to the final, wonderful result.

11. Susan

September 2, 2010 5:36 pm

You are beautiful….I just wanted to tell you that :)

12. Mel

September 3, 2010 12:42 am

Woah, mama. :) You’re still gorgeous as ever even if your belly is more than you can deal with right now. :)

13. samantha jo campen

September 3, 2010 3:01 am

I had a newborn at this point in my pregnancy and I swear to you I could not imagine being pregnant for ONE! DAY! LONGER! I was miserable (granted, special circumstances) so really, god bless you for making it this far without committing yourself. And you look fabulous. FABULOUS. Truly glowing.

September 3, 2010 3:33 am

uh yeah- my level of misery doesn’t even COMPARE with what yours must have been. I keep reminding myself of that- all the mothers who have suffered through ridiculous circumstances to get their babies to the end! It helps… kinda ;)

14. Scentsy

September 5, 2010 11:21 pm

Maybe, training for running or swimming, etc. in the Olympics… its time consuming ya know :) They are starting them young these days! Congratulations. You look great.