You Capture: Summer!

When I was a kid, the biggest thing I looked forward to each summer was our trip to Kennywood.

My mom mentioned over the weekend that it was probably because it was the only thing we ever did (not a lot of money available for ‘real’ vacations) and maybe she’s a little bit right. But I LOVED Kennywood! (still do!) We would go with our whole, extended family- which, if you included cousins and cousins of cousins and kids of cousins and aunts and uncles and oh yeah, that other cousin- it ended up being quite a few people. We would all meet in the same pavilion every year, bringing food and snacks and drinks. It was right next to the Jack Rabbit, an old, wooden roller coaster, and just the sound of it now brings back all those memories.

We took Maggie to Kennywood on Sunday. It wasn’t her first time going- she’s been there the past two summers- but each year, she gets more into the rides and games (even if she was a little out of sorts because of her sinus infection) I wasn’t able to ride anything this year except for the merry-go-round (ON A BENCH, NOT A HORSE) and the train, so I spent my time taking pictures of Maggie having her fun.

Oh, and eating a ridiculous amount of amusement park food, but I didn’t think you’d care to see any pictures of me covered in funnel cake powdered sugar. You’re welcome :)

glee

so serious.

Ms. Attitude

posing with Kenny the Kangaroo

at the duck pond

fading fast

(She won that dog all by herself at the whiffle ball game. Got it in the blue bowl on the first try!)

1. Laura

August 5, 2010 2:40 pm

I’ve never seen a park like this anywhere, but it looks like fun. It’s nice that its near to where you live. :)

2. Dave

August 5, 2010 3:34 pm

I love it! Maggie is such a cutie!

We hope to get to Kennywood this year, too. I think it was already two years ago that we were last there, and it took a while for Abby to “get it”, but she really loved it at one point in the day. I’d love to see how she likes it now.

3. C @ Kid Things

August 5, 2010 3:42 pm

The picture with her hand on her hip cracks me up.

4. SLReflexions

August 5, 2010 10:30 pm

Love the color, composition, and expression you captured in that first pic! Priceless!

August 5, 2010 11:33 pm

Cute. Maggie looks like she totally owned Kennywood. :)

My cousin lives in Cranberry and he & his wife took their two boys to Kennywood last month, and although the younger one is too little (only a little over a year old), the 4-yr old had a BLAST. They asked us to go with them next year, so that should be fun!

6. Priscilla

August 6, 2010 8:25 am

Ha! Total attitude Maggie with her hand on her hip….too cute! And, um, could your mom be any more beautiful?!
    We were hoping to make it to Kennywood this summer but as the weeks fly by and our weekends are so busy, I don’t know if we will get there! :(

August 6, 2010 9:01 am

I know, this summer went by so fast, we realized late last week that if we didn’t get there very soon, it would be too late! The next few weekends are busy for us, plus I’m not getting any smaller ;) so I REALLY wouldn’t feel like going later in August. The weather cooperated and we were able to sneak in a trip! We didn’t go all day- I think we got there around 2 and left around 8 or so- perfect for Maggie!

7. Hollie

August 6, 2010 12:05 pm

Great pics! I love the attitude in the 3rd shot! What a cutie!!!

8. lindsie

August 8, 2010 1:15 pm

I love Kennywood! I live in Pittsburgh so we make certain that we go every year. When I was little we’d count all the way up to the the Kennywood school picnic. My mother always took us, no matter what. And now im passing along that tradition and taking my kids every year too. I’d like to take the kids there again this year especially our daughter, she had a blast now that she can ride some of the big stuff! Looks like everyone in your family had a blast. Your little girl is beautiful! Take care & best wishes with the pregnancy!

9. Korinna

August 8, 2010 3:06 pm

For a hot second there, I thought perhaps Kennywood was for Kenny Rogers, like Dollywood is for Dolly Parton.

It appears not.

However, it still looks like fun.

August 9, 2010 9:10 pm

ha you are not the first person to think that! But alas, it is not a tribute to Kenny Rogers. Just a local amusement park :)