so I guess this means we’re… ready? maybe? kinda sorta?

The room is nearly, officially, almost done. Done enough for pictures at least :)

the baby's room!

the baby's room!

The furniture is all re-used from Maggie’s room- the crib and both dressers. We weren’t able to fit a glider in her room at our old house, so that’s a new purchase- SO EXCITED to have one this time! We didn’t really need one in our old house- basically 1-floor living, so I would just take her to the couch for nighttime feedings. But now the bedrooms are upstairs and heck if I’m dragging a baby down a flight of steps at 3am! So after she’s out of the bassinet in our room, this will be lovely.

the baby's room!

I just love the bedding. It wasn’t my first choice (original plan was sold out EVERYWHERE!) but I’m so happy with it. It’s girly without screaming PINK! LOOK! PINK! and it’s not cartoon-y either. Perfect. We just have to rig that turtle music toy up on the top rail like we did for Maggie, and we’re good to go.

(And yes, I use bumper pads. SOMEONE CALL CYS! QUICK!)

the baby's room!

Lots of stinky diapers will be changed here.

the baby's room!

Big props to Dan for putting the closet system in all by himself! While I was off getting a massage! What a guy!

the baby's room!

A ridiculous problem: our kids’ bedrooms are HUUUUGE. Now that Maggie is older, it’s a good thing- lots of room for toys and books. But for a baby? What the heck do I PUT in the room? That wooden shelf thing across from the dresser is completely empty! It’s weird because we had the opposite problem when Maggie was a baby. SUPER TINY ROOM. It feels so wonderfully open now.

Just a few last things to do in the room: a rug, a lamp, and some wall decor. Oh- and some letters for her name above her crib after she’s born.

So! Now what? I’m thinking NAP.

1. Cari
    @mattieflap

I use bumpers, too. I did it with my older kid and they’re still in the crib for my 17 month old. They both loved to shove their faces into the bars and bash their heads on the sides of the cribs. The bumpers allowed them to sleep at night without bashing and waking themselves up. I figure that if they are tightly tied at both the top and the bottom of the bumper in several places around the crib (not just the corners) then I’ve minimized the potential danger and I didn’t worry about it.

Aug 15 1:19 pm

Agreed! Maggie was always a rough sleeper, I was more worried about her getting stuck in the crib slats than suffocating, honestly. I tie them just like you said- never worried a bit.

Aug 15 8:01 pm

2. Mel
    @overdramaticmel

It’s so pretty! I love the bedding, a lot. I dislike things that are over girl-y and frill-y. Two people that I know actually installed small crystal-looking chandelier’s in their baby’s rooms. Er…. That’s just a bit too much for me.

Aug 15 1:32 pm

3. Put books on that shelf. Anya has an entire shelf about that size that’s about to be outgrown by her baby book collection combined with my childhood collection. We read to her every night, and she LOVES it. We almost need either a bigger shelf or another one to cram into her room for all of her books!

Aug 15 3:14 pm

4. Very pretty!! We still use the glider we bought (also have a 2-story house). Andrew gets all of his bedtime books there & I spent many, many hours feeding him there. I can’t imagine what we would have done without it. The closet system is also awesome.

I think you need a big bookcase in there. Andrew’s room is small but we smooshed that bookcase in there anyway and I’m glad. Where else would I put all of his books?

(Also, tell me: HOW do you keep all of those floors clean? I struggle with finding time to swiffer just our few hard floors – the kitchen, entryways, and bathrooms – and most of the time I feel guilty about being so wasteful with swiffers. Wish I had the time & energy to actually mop or something.)

Aug 15 4:14 pm

Well all of our kids’ books are in Maggie’s room! heh That’s going to be the big question, how we get them to SHARE the books ;)

For the floors… um… well I kinda cheat. We have a cleaning lady ;) She comes every other Monday and does a fantastic job! I love her and I will cry if I ever have to give her up. But in between, we’ll usually sweep once or twice. I used to use a Swiffer but they’re kind of a pain and I agree- wasteful-feeling! My mom bought me a Swivel-Sweeper thing (AS SEEN ON TV! ha) and it actually does a decent job for quick clean ups! Once we get sick of crunching on stuff in the kitchen, we’ll get that out and run through the downstairs. Usually only takes about 10-15 minutes. I don’t bother with upstairs, it doesn’t get nearly as gross as the main floor.

I love wood floors even though you have to keep up with them. I just feel like no matter WHAT you do with carpet, it’s always still dirty. Plus with our allergies, it’s nice to know that when the floor is clean, it is CLEAN.

Aug 15 7:55 pm

It’s absolutely beautiful, Jen. Love the colors.

One thing at the top of my list for our next place: bigger closets. The closet that George and I share is about the size of your baby’s closet!

In the beginning, having 2 floors can be a pain in the butt (especially during the first 2 weeks when you’re not supposed to go up and down stairs very much while you’re healing ‘down there’). But when you have another kid that’s almost impossible. If I wasn’t bringing Andrew UPstairs for naps because Oliver was too noisy and keeping him awake, I was bringing him DOWNstairs in the middle of the night because he was crying and waking up Oliver, lol.

Aug 15 5:42 pm

oh I hear you on the closet thing- our old house, the “master” closet was so ridiculously small. I am in heaven with the new house, we both have our OWN WALK-INS. Half of mine is still basically empty, no joke.

Yeah I’m interested to see how this 2-floor living is with a baby. One floor was actually kind of nice! Thankfully Maggie sleeps like a rock (the kid can sleep through MAJOR thunderstorms!) so I’m hoping after the first couple of weeks, she’ll get used to the baby and not wake up as much. It will be an adventure I’m sure… ha

Aug 15 7:58 pm

• Cari
        @mattieflap

My older one is a crappy sleeper and I mean crappy (didn’t sleep through the night until he was 4 and AFTER the new one came along. The tag teaming those two did sucked). My younger one had colic + reflux and barely slept at night for the first three months.

Weirdly, the baby crying never seemed to wake up the older one. He would wake up with bad dreams and such but he wouldn’t wake up because of the other one crying. So, I think you’ll be OK with Maggie and the new one.

Aug 15 11:06 pm

• you both would faint if you saw how small my bedroom closet is :P – it’s about 15″ across TOTAL, and that’s for TWO adults. :P

Aug 15 11:55 pm

6. Elisabeth
    @Epsnider

Oh! That’s just lovely! The colors are great!

Aug 15 5:59 pm

7. Madhuri

Its very pretty..Looking at this makes me want to have another one :-)

Aug 15 6:08 pm

8. Korinna
    @twoadults

Love it! I think it’s so fabulous that it’s cute yet not nauseatingly cutsie.

Is there nothing better than a nicely organized baby closet? I makes my anal heart swell with joy.

Also, we use bumpers too. Babies are some rough ass sleepers and, I’m sorry, something needs to be used to cushion the tossing of their small bods in the nighttime.

Aug 15 8:45 pm

oh yes, an organized closet! We’ll just see how long it lasts. HA

Aug 15 8:58 pm

9. I used the heck out of my glider with the second baby (sadly I even spent quite a bit of time sleeping in it!) I’m sure you’ll love it!

Aug 15 9:23 pm

That was our test in the stores- how comfortable is this for sleeping in?? LOL knowing that we’ll probably be doing quite a bit of it in the chair!

Aug 16 10:07 am

10. Amanda
    @shameleslysassy

I loved my glider, until I had a post-pregnancy, i can’t get up fast enough with a sleeping baby in my arms pee in it. twice. Yeah, I peed my glider.

Aug 15 11:02 pm

Are you offended that I totally laughed at that? ;)

Aug 16 10:05 am

• Amanda
        @shameleslysassy

not at all. I laugh now, looking back obviously. I just wanted to cry when it happened.

Aug 18 3:18 am

11. love the room design :)
    i wish i had the same problem as you though – i have TWO children in a 9’x10.5′ bedroom *CRY* we need to move so bad…

Aug 15 11:53 pm

holy cow that has to be crowded. That’s about the size Maggie’s room was in our old house, 10×10 or so. Do they keep each other awake???

Aug 16 10:07 am

12. Jane
    @seejane

Love the colors! Love the girly-ness of it without it being pink!

I used a bumper for both kids too.. partly because my mom made it before I knew they weren’t supposed to have them. but now, because it’s either that or his foot hangs out the side and then he gets mad!

I wish our nursery was a little bigger so that we could have a swing in it, both my kids slept great in a swing, but especially now with a 3 year old, would have been nice to tuck the baby away from the noise without having to move the monitor!

The book sharing is a problem in our house too. Not sure why Maria is obsessed with Baby Einstein board books and Baby First Word books. she has plenty of Princess, Dora, Curious George (etc!) books of her own!

Aug 16 10:37 am

13. Priscilla
    @pgreen730

Oh Jen, the bedding and decor is absolutely gorgeous…almost makes me want another baby! ha! I can’t wait to meet the baby and hear the name!

Aug 16 10:47 am

14. Love how your baby’s room is turning out! The color in our soon-to-be nursery is very similar, though we’re going with more of a gender-neutral theme, since we don’t know the sex!

Aug 16 11:01 am

15. Athena

So pretty! Love the colors! We have the same here – green walls and pink flowers/butterflies. For our 1st attempt at a baby girl room, we didn’t want the Pink Pink Pink either.

We’ve gone through 3 colors with 3 kids in that room. And I think I want to paint it again. Corey just rolls his eyes… :)

Aug 16 11:18 am

16. Kate

Your bumper pad comment made me laugh! And reminded my of my young daughter-in-law. Who wanted a $300 crib set (comforter, bumper pad, valance, and diaper stacker, sheet.) She went on to explain, “I won’t use the bumper pad until baby is older because that’s not safe. . . and we have two windows so we can’t really use the valance. . . and I hear people hate the diaper stackers so we won’t use that. . . and of course we can’t use the comforter until he’s older either.” So basically, you want a $300 crib sheet? “Well, I think the comforter will look cute hanging over the side of the crib!”

Um. . . no. Getting you the stroller/car seat instead. Sorry, sweetie.

Aug 17 10:46 am

ha! That is classic. And that’s why shopping for bedding is so tough, because they package and group things together! We have 3 windows, so I stayed away from any package with just 1 valance/curtain included (unless they had separates we could buy too) And I wouldn’t use a diaper stacker either, so I ignored any that had one. Because that’s exactly it- you end up with a very expensive crib sheet if you’re not using everything else! It’s confusing. I had a spreadsheet and everything… it was kind of insane ;) (as am I. ha)

Aug 17 12:04 pm

17. Kate

Jennifer you and my brother always have such great taste in things love the room! Definitely much better than the blue haha.

Aug 17 5:10 pm

oh it’s all me, you know ;) ha He just does my bidding!

That reminds me that I should have posted the ‘before’ pictures of that horrible blue…

Aug 17 5:14 pm

18. red pen mama
    @redpenmamapgh

I love that wall color. Now I want to steal it. My Dan will be so happy.

Beautiful room. I would suggest just some baby books, maybe a knick knack or two for the shelf? Something that you got when Maggie was a baby that she could “share”?

And you are going to love the glider. After 5+ years, mine desperately needs to be reupholstered (job for MIL!), but I am not parting with it. Yours actually looks exactly like mine (only new). Did you get it at the Big Baby SuperStore?

Anyhow: Great job. Can’t wait until your new little one gets to see it!

Aug 20 2:20 pm

The paint is ‘Lettuce Alone’ (Olympic paint) And yes, that’s the real color name. HA.

Yup, got the glider at that Big Baby Superstore. If we can keep it generally clean and nice through this baby, I’m hoping to be able to use it somewhere else in the house as real furniture :)

Aug 20 5:02 pm

19. samantha jo campen
    @samanthajcampen

OMG Jen I love it. LOVE the bedding. Can’t wait for the wee bebe to be in there! SQUEE!

Aug 21 2:29 am

20. Pocklock
    @pocklock

It looks awesome! We are shopping gliders too. Our last one was borrowed and we had to return it. Which did you go with?

And I am totally bumper guilty too. We stayed somewhere with a crib on vacation recently so I didn’t bring the pack’n’play and without a bumper, she kept waking up and screaming for her binky that was falling out through the slots all night! GAH! They’re multi-purpose, really!

I LOVE the colors you chose. And a closet organizer is on my husbands To Do list! We have to fit both girls’ clothes in there. Oh help.

Aug 21 10:33 pm

BabiesRUs was having a sale so we got whatever one was included in that! They have custom ones (you can pick the wood & upholstery colors) but those weren’t in the sale, so we just went with one of the pre-made ones.

The closet organizer/system is awesome! Before, there was just 1 high shelf and a rod for hangers, that’s it. I was like, um, where the HECK do we put everything?? And the nice thing about this one with the rails on the back wall is that we can easily move and adjust the shelves as she grows (we’re also going to do one in Maggie’s room- there’s one in there now, but the people who owned the house before us were sucky at doing stuff and it’s totally falling apart!)

Aug 22 12:51 pm