recipe: pierogie casserole

If you’re from Pittsburgh, you’ve probably at eaten a pierogi at least once in your life. Or you’ve heard of them. Or you’ve seen them running around the baseball field at PNC Park. And if you’re from other parts of the county (or the world), you may have had them too. I don’t know. I just know that in Pittsburgh, they are kind of a Big Deal.

I didn’t have my first pierogi until I was in college, at which point I was all, ‘WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME ABOUT THESE??? OMG!’ It’s every Carb Lovers DREAM (and I, my friends, am a Carb Lover. Shamelessly.) Noodle, potato, maybe some cheese, onions, butter, salt & pepper… holy crap are they good.

Then, back when Dan and I were just dating, my mother-in-law made a casserole based on the ingredients of pierogies, and I pretty much thought I had died and gone to a buttery heaven.

What you’ll need: lasagna noodles, onions (LOTS! like 3 or 4 big ones. Sweet or Vidalia onions are best), butter (LOTS!), mashed potatoes (not pictured, they were still in the freezer), shredded cheddar cheese (not picture because… I don’t know why. I forgot.)

recipe: pierogie casserole

Start by boiling the noodles according to the package directions.

recipe: pierogie casserole

(I should have used a bigger pot. heh.)

Slice up your onions and place them in a skillet with a stick of butter.

I’m not kidding. A stick. And you may need to add more later.

recipe: pierogie casserole

While the noodles and onions are cooking (stir them now and then so they don’t stick or turn black), you can make your potatoes. I totally cheat and get the bag of frozen ones. Microwave for 10 minutes and mash- SO easy and they’re actually quite good.

recipe: pierogie casserole

The package calls for adding milk and butter, and I also add some salt and pepper to flavor the potatoes while I mash them up.

After the potatoes and noodles are done, the onions should be turning a nice translucent color and be very juicy. If they’re looking a little dry: add more butter. For this recipe, it’s best to add too much butter than not enough, trust me. I’ve made a few that were too dry and it’s really just no good.

recipe: pierogie casserole

Spray the bottom of the 9×13 pan VERY VERY well with cooking spray (or, you could always spread on some MORE BUTTER. ha just make sure it’s greased well.) Layer 4 noodles on the bottom, overlapping if needed.

recipe: pierogie casserole

Then spread the mashed potatoes over the noodles.

recipe: pierogie casserole

This step is optional, sometimes I do it, sometimes I don’t- sprinkle some of the cheddar cheese on top of the potatoes.

recipe: pierogie casserole

Next, grab the skillet and dump in the onions and butter- make sure to get all the buttery goodness from pan!

recipe: pierogie casserole

Top with 4 more noodles and the cheddar cheese.

recipe: pierogie casserole

Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until it gets all bubbly.

recipe: pierogie casserole

Cut into squares, just like lasagna, and serve!

recipe: pierogie casserole

(That sandwich in the background? Just a sneak preview of the next recipe I’ll be posting!)

Pierogie Casserole
  1. 1 frozen bag of mashed potatoes
  2. 1 stick butter/margarine
  3. 3-4 large onions, chopped
  4. 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  5. 8 lasagna noodles
  6. Salt and pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Make frozen mashed potatoes and lasagna noodles according to the package directions. Melt butter and sauté onions until very soft. Spray a 9x13inch pan very well with cooking spray. Line the bottom of the pan with 4 lasagna noodles. Cover with mashed potatoes and spread onions over potatoes. Put 4 lasagna noodles on top and cover with cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes or until bubbly.

1. Gina

July 19, 2010 9:32 am

This is one of my favorites. And now I may have to make it tonight.

2. red pen mama

July 19, 2010 9:49 am

Okay, well, thank you for the carb/fat cheesy potato cravings before 10 a.m.! Going to have to make this one soon…

I, too, had never heard of pierogi until I started going to school in Pittsburgh — and my father’s family is from here. I blame the fact that they are all nearly 100% Irish.

When I tried to explain pierogi to my mom (who is 100% Italian) I told her it was a ravioli stuffed with potato instead of cheese or meat. She was mystified. “That doesn’t even sound good,” I think she said. My poor, poor mother. She has since seen the light.

3. Kaley

July 19, 2010 10:40 am

This just killed me dead. But luckily I’ve come back to life so I can make this and then die again and float around in carb heaven. I puffy heart love pierogies! We make them and then top them with melted butter and sour cream. So you can bet I’ll be slathering sour cream on top of this casserole. Hope you enjoyed eating this – that’s the best part of being pregnant…being able indulge with no guilt!

4. Athena

July 19, 2010 10:41 am

i think if i play my cards right, i can get whatever i want forever. all i have to do is make this for corey and he’ll never, ever say no to anything! slovaks can’t resist them pierogies! yum!

5. Laura

July 19, 2010 1:47 pm

This looks awesome!!!! Saving this one for sure :) (I don’t think I’ve ever eaten a pierogi but I know what they are.)

6. Priscilla

July 19, 2010 3:31 pm

I make pierogi casserole and it is always a big hit….but I use wide egg noodles instead of the lasagne noodles. So good!! I use the sour cream and chive mashed potatoes too. YUMMY!!!

7. ann

July 19, 2010 5:42 pm

OMG, that looks delicious! I’m going to try making that soon.

I love how easy your recipes are and don’t have any weird ingredients. Keep ’em coming!

8. Jami

July 19, 2010 6:30 pm

Oh. I’m going to have to find a gluten free version of this. Thanks for sharing the cheesy bubbly greasy joy!

9. Mel

July 20, 2010 10:30 am

oh, YUM! This will be so much better than trying to make little triangle versions. :p Which I’ve tried and it’s so difficult. :p

10. Carmen

July 20, 2010 2:21 pm

Well, now I know what I’ll be having for dinner tomorrow night. Thanks!

11. No Princesses Here

July 20, 2010 8:29 pm

Low carb lifestyle or no, I’m going to have to make this in the next couple days. I had forgotten how much I love and miss pierogies!

12. samantha jo campen

July 21, 2010 12:04 am

I’m Polish so pierogies and I have met.

13. Andrea

July 21, 2010 11:44 pm

I too, didn’t even know about perogies until college… GCC must’ve made some good ones, b/c I too am now addicted! :) I’d better start working on this recipe, if I’m going to fit in, right?

Last Christmas my aunt made a very similar cassarole, only she had actual perogies as a layer too!

14. mindbling

July 23, 2010 3:07 pm

You know, this is almost enough to make me start cooking. ALMOST. Next time you make it, call me. I’m waddling my pregnant butt over.