random bits

1. Did you know that being asked to try ravioli at dinner is akin to being asked to remove your fingernails one at a time? You didn’t? Because apparently, that’s the kind of torture we asked of our daughter tonight at dinner. FOR NINETY MINUTES. AND TWO (self-inflicted!) TIME-OUTS IN HER ROOM. (Not even kidding. She went upstairs to her bedroom on her own, sobbing and wailing the entire way.)

Well… now we know. She’s not a ravioli fan.

2. I somehow pulled my right groin muscle this weekend. Not entire sure how, since- because I’m 7 months pregnant- I wasn’t exactly doing aerobics or anything. I imagine that it happened while I was crouching down to help Maggie get dressed or when I bent down to pick something up from the floor. You know- SOMETHING STRENUOUS. So now I’m sitting here on the couch with a heating pad on my crotch. I’m so hawt.

3. The baby’s room is painted. DONE! My mom and Dan did it all on Sunday and it looks fantastic. At first I was nervous about the color (it’s kind of bright!) but now that the furniture is moved back in and breaks it up a bit, I really like it. No pictures yet- Dan still needs to put the curtain rods and curtains back up, the blinds, I have to wash the bedding, etc so it may be a couple of weeks. It’s a work in progress, but we’re definitely getting there!

4. Speaking of getting there: I’ve officially closed my business to new projects until 2011. I guess this means we’re having a baby or something? I still have a few rather large sites to wrap up in the next 2 months, but they’re getting very close!

5. Once she started eating Big People Food, Maggie became obsessed with peanut butter and jelly and she eats it nearly every single day for lunch. It’s good for her (because we get good whole wheat bread without all that crap in it, natural peanut butter, and no-sugar-added jelly with actual strawberries in it, yum!) and it fills her up and it’s easy! Thankfully, the daycare where Maggie has been going since she was 10 weeks old didn’t have a No Peanuts policy… until now. I didn’t get all the details (Dan picked Maggie up from school today) but apparently one of the kids had a severe reaction from ACROSS THE ROOM (gah!) to a peanut butter sandwich, completely out of nowhere. I can’t imagine how freaked out the daycare workers were (and the parents! I don’t even want to know what that phone call was like, holy crap.) Everyone is fine, thank goodness. But, bottom line now is, WHAT THE HECK is my kid gonna eat for lunch? Seriously. She already has mac ‘n cheese for every stinking dinner lately (see #1 above and what happens if we try to deviate from THAT plan) and pizza day is every Wednesday. And that’s basically all we can ever get her to eat. Sooo… I have no idea what I’ll be packing in her lunch come Friday.

6. We went to see some friends in Ohio over the weekend for their daughter’s birthday party (and sidenote: those friends just announced that they are MOVING TO PITTSBURGH!) and it was a fun day. Maggie had an especially good time, running around the yard and showing everyone her underpants.

Bridget's birthday party

I can’t figure out what cracks me up more in that picture: Maggie, or Dan’s expression.

(Also: I promise to pay for my kid’s therapy later in life for posting that picture on the internet.)

1. janet
    @loveisblonde

Totally laughing about the ravioli drama…though I’m sure it wasn’t all that funny at the time!

Is almond butter allowed? Some other nut butter? Almond butter is deeeelicious!

Jul 12 10:00 pm

2. My recommendation would be some other nut butter. My kid has peanut allergies too (but not that bad, wow!) and I give her almond butter or hazelnut butter. There are some alernatives.

Jul 12 10:05 pm

I thought of that, but I’ll need to find out the details of the allergy. I know some people are allergic to all nuts, other just peanuts, etc. I’ll know more on Wednesday when I take her to school, whether or not they’re banning everything or just peanuts.

Jul 12 10:07 pm

3. sparkyd

What is it about ravioli? That’s what we had for dinner tonight as well and my 3-year old wanted nothing to do with it. He claimed it was the sauce that was the problem. That was before tasting it, of course.

We’ve had a couple of self-imposed time-outs as well recently. Interesting phenomenon, that. In our case they were both due to extreme crankiness after having been asleep in the car… he refused to come inside and instead remained seated out on the porch. Fine by me – I don’t want all the whining in the house anyway. Although yesterday when he finally came in he proceeded to strip naked and lie on the floor for awhile. Wish I could have recorded the whole thing to show him when he has kids.

Jul 12 10:16 pm

4. From what I understand, since peanuts aren’t nuts, usually allergies to peanuts are specific to just those. Other kinds of nut-based butter will work fine, I bet!

So funny, because Andrew doesn’t really like Pb&j and he won’t touch pizza. He will usually eat mac & cheese, though. ;)

Jul 12 10:26 pm

5. Andrea
    @ajh_rigs

SUCKS about the pb&j!!! (So far, B does branch out to a few more things than Maggie.) B has been giving herself time-outs lately too!!! I thought it was because she doesn’t really understand the concept yet, but maybe it’s just a kid thing. (Today S hit her and I said, “No hitting!” and she immediately insisted that he get a Time Out. Then once his was done, she gave herself one too. Weirdo.)

Also, I love that Maggie’s bum make the internet! :)

Jul 12 10:43 pm

oh Maggie used to be WAY less picky and more adventurous, but now that she’s Three, she’s super stubborn and won’t try ANYTHING new. We asked her take ONE bite of ravioli (she LOVES lasagna! and pizza! IT’S THE SAME FRIGGIN’ THING, KID.) and she put it in her mouth, spit it right back out, and proceeded to have the fits for the rest of the night.

Not to say that B will get that way… but ;) heh AGE THREE IS SO FUN.

The self-imposed Time Outs crack me up. She did it the other morning, too. She was crying about something and I said ‘Do you need to go lay in your bed for a while?’ and she sniffled ‘YES!’ and marched upstairs and climbed in bed. 5 minutes later she came back down like nothing was ever wrong.

WEIRDOS is right.

Jul 12 10:51 pm

6. C @ Kid Things
    @kidthingsnet

What I love is that you get a seemingly sweet picture of a girl with her toy lawn mower but lo, there’s your daughter, mooning the camera. Priceless.

Jul 12 11:38 pm

7. I love you for posting that photo. A lot.

Jul 13 10:07 am

Cracking up about the ravioli torture and self-imposed time-outs. But not the heating pad, because OW. Sorry, lady. :(

Can’t wait to see the baby’s room!

Yay for friends moving closer, how awesome! (Everyone is leaving Ohio, seriously. EVERYONE. And we’ll be next in 2011 or ’12!)

Oliver has never tried peanut butter. Ever. Since I’m allergic, his doctor recommended we wait until age 3 or 4 (the longer we wait to expose him to the pb, the chances are less that he’ll develop an allergy). So now he’s turning four and we’re going to have him try it a couple times before starting preschool next month juuuuust in case, so I’m already in a panic about it!

Jul 13 2:02 pm

oh if either of us were allergic, I know I’d be paranoid! We’re both allergic to penicillin, so we don’t give her that (in the rare cases when she’s needed antibiotics, thankfully there haven’t been many) I just say ‘yup, penicillin’ when the drs ask about allergies. I don’t really feel like finding out for sure!

Jul 13 7:00 pm

9. Lea

You can use Sunbutter. It is made from Sunflower seeds – my son is very allergic to peanuts, but this is completely fine because it’s a seed and not a nut, and it is also healthy and has a similar texture to peanut butter.

Jul 13 7:59 pm

10. Jane
    @seejane

maria didn’t like ravioli until she figured it out it tastes like spaghetti! and now she loves it!

cheese and crackers? maria loves cheese sticks… or freeze a go-gurt (or stonyfield’s organic version) and it’ll be thawed by lunch too… not quite the same but still some nutrients…

Jul 13 10:59 pm

11. Eva is also on a strict self-imposed PB&J diet. I’m sure we’ll have to cross that same bridge some day and I have no idea what we’ll send her with. I’m crossing my fingers that she’ll branch out by then (yeah, right). Occasionally we can get her to eat a bite of pizza, but she won’t go near any kind of pasta. What kind of kid doesn’t like spaghetti or mac and cheese?!

The Diva also gives herself time outs occasionally. 3 year olds are a funny bunch.

Jul 14 9:15 am