Maggie snippets

Maggie was watching Super Why one afternoon when Dan got home from work. Right away he came in, asking for kisses and talking to her. At one point, he crouched down in front of her by the couch and she got really annoyed, pushed him out of the way with her arm, and said, “I’m trying to watch this!”

Maggie and I were talking in the car about how she didn’t eat a good dinner, so no, she wouldn’t be getting any gum or a treat when we got home. She got quiet and after a moment, she said VERY SERIOUSLY, “Don’t be fighting with me.”

The baby was kicking my belly quite a bit so Maggie was trying to feel the kicks with her hand. I told her to sing to her baby sister, maybe that would get her to move and dance! I suggested she sing the ABCs. Maggie leaned her ear down to my belly and said, “No, she’s asking for Old McDonald.”

Dan and I have called each other ‘Newman’ for many, many years (after Jerry Seinfeld’s nemesis on the show. Don’t ask, I’m not entirely sure why.) We do it so much, we don’t even realize we’re saying it. Maggie has apparently picked up on this.

We were chatting about our names- What’s Mommy’s name? (Jennifer) What’s Mommy’s middle name? (Shannon) What’s our last name? and so forth. Then I asked her what Daddy’s name was.

She said, “His name is Newman when he farts.”

SHE’S TOTALLY RIGHT ON THAT ONE.

This potty training thing has been fueled by Swedish fish for the most part. She gets one for peeing on the potty, and three if she poops. It’s been almost two months and she’s doing… okay (there has been a slight, unexplained, VERY FRUSTRATING regression this week. I don’t want to talk about it.)

One of the issues we’ll be facing soon is that she won’t use the potty without one of her little seats on the toilet. So that means if we’re out in public, she has to wear a diaper. I’m not sure yet how we’re going to clear that hurdle, but I’ve started with just putting little seeds in her mind and we’ll go from there. So I told her if she used the potty- just peeing!- without the Dora seat, she could have THREE FISHES instead of just one.

She stared at me for a moment, and then said, “How about FIVE fishes?”

Our little negotiator.

Related to the Using The Big Person Toilet idea: my mom got her some princess toothpaste for Easter, but we haven’t let her use it yet. Partly because she still swallows the toothpaste so I don’t think she’s ready for the flouride stuff yet. And partly because it gives us yet ANOTHER bargaining tool for the potty thing.

She saw it on the counter and wanted to use it, so I told her if she started going on the toilet without her Dora seat, she could use the princess toothpaste.

She thought for a moment, shrugged her shoulders, and said, “I’ll just use the bear toothpaste then.”

DAMMIT.

She 100% without a doubt beat me at a game of memory yesterday. A game that involved something like THIRTY cards. And she didn’t cheat. And I didn’t let her win.

We are very very much screwed.

1. C @ Kid Things
    @kidthingsnet

We’re having a very bad potty-training week, too. Has it been a full moon, maybe? I’m blaming it on that, anyway.
    .-= C @ Kid Things’s last blog post: No No No Yes =-.

May 20 12:13 am

2. barbara

*delurking*

Oh my, I’m loving these!!!!! Your little boss is just sooo funny (and she’s da boss, don’t ever doubt that ;) ).

And HOW CUTE is she talking to her baby sister…….I awww’ ed out loud…..cuteness!!!!

And since I’am studying Educational Science ( in germany), I can explain that memory thingy to you: It is true, kids are GREAT at that, especially at this age ( experienced it myself too, babysitting and all) . This has something to do with their brains still building synapses. They have to learn so much in that developmental step, their brain is like a sponge and great at remembering.

Some guy actually proofed this I think (that kids are better at it than adults because of their neurosystem) but I forgot his name just now.

So, no need to feel bad……but I agree, you’re probably in trouble ;)

(sry for my possible mistakes, not a native speaker (german) but trying my best)

May 20 2:20 am

3. Kellie

These are too cute!

On the potty note: My oldest daughter (3) is afraid of using the potty without a seat at home or in public. They make plastic fold up ones that you can keep in your purse/diaper bag. They aren’t super big. I got ours (Dora) at Walmart for $10. I hate carrying it and rather she didn’t use it but it’s a happy compromise for when we’re out. I figure she’ll eventually grow out of it and although it’s annoying, it’s cheaper than diapers and keeps her consistently using the potty.

May 20 10:16 am

4. red pen mama
    @redpenmamapgh

Wow, Kate is having a bad week with the potty, too. I have no idea what’s going on. Although this morning, after waking up wet with pee, she explained, “Sometimes my poop and pee say no, but sometimes they say yes.”

We don’t have the pee in public problem. If anything, both my girls LOVE to pee in public, usually right in the middle of dinner.

“Don’t be fighting with me” made me snicker. Sounds like 3!

And Kate can easily beat Flora at Memory. Which Flora just loves. I haven’t tried it with 30 cards, yet, though. But I bet she would be able to take Flora and me. that girl has a great attention span. I mean, for 3. And remember, you have pregnancy brain, too, so she had that advantage. Or is that just me?
    .-= red pen mama’s last blog post: Lost: What They Died For =-.

May 20 1:59 pm

5. Hang in there, it gets easier.

May 20 3:41 pm

6. “His name is Newman when he farts” Oh, BWAHAHAHAHA!

Mike and I rarely use each other’s names, only in a crowd or when we need each other’s rapt immediate attention. We usually call each other “babe” or “hun”.

The other night, Charlotte barged into the bathroom while Mike was showering and said, “Babe, you need to hurry up. Honey is getting irritated.” LOL
    .-= AndreAnna’s last blog post: Overheard =-.

May 20 4:05 pm

HAHA did he nearly fall over in the shower at that?

We forget that they hear EV-ER-Y-THING we say. They might not LISTEN to us, but they hear it all.

May 20 8:16 pm

7. My favorite is “I’ll just use the bear toothpaste, then” because Andrew is that way all the time. He doesn’t negotiate. He doesn’t care enough for us to use ANYTHING as a bargaining chip. “Do you want a cookie?” “Yes.” “Then you have to eat your broccoli.” “No thank you.” No cookie, then, and no problem. He doesn’t care. There’s no arguing or convincing him, no bribery. His mind is 100% made up all the time.
    .-= Laura’s last blog post: logistics =-.

May 20 5:08 pm

That is exactly why potty training took so long to get started. She didn’t want Skittles or stickers or Smarties or M&Ms or ANYTHING. Then suddenly, one day, she was okay with bribery with Swedish fish. ??? So random.

She’s starting to understand the power of bargaining more and more though- which is helpful for ALL of us. We get her to eat the rest of her chicken nugget, and she gets to go outside and play with her friends. WIN WIN! But she’s being extra stubborn about the potty thing.

May 20 8:15 pm

8. sparkyd

I love Maggie snippets! It is so awesome that you have all of these things written down. And that you share and make us laugh!

I feel your pain on the potty training. Serious regression over here too, and we hadn’t even gotten as far as poop on the potty (except at daycare… but he is in regression mode there too). We now have to take his pull-up off if there is any hope of him going in the potty, otherwise he doesn’t care. And he won’t even admit when he has pooped. He’d rather sit in it. Not good. We hadn’t been using any formal rewarding system, just lots of encouragement and high-fives, but I think we’ll have to start. Although I’m not sure it’ll work beyond the first few times. He’ll catch on. ;)

May 20 11:47 pm

9. Kate Lyker

I heart Maggie snippets! I was cracking up at the don’t be fighting with me. And GG and grandma and princess pap pap will find the memory thing comes in handy when they lose their glasses. Mom still asks me where stuff is haha so that will come in handy later haha. See you in about a week Jennifer and can’t wait to hear more maggie snippets!

May 21 8:36 am

10. bessie.viola
    @bessie_viola

This is hilarious… I love the “I’ll just use the Bear toothpaste, then” and the Newman thing. SO funny.

My mouthy little 2yr old has recently begun answering in the affirmative when I ask her if she needs a timeout. It’s meant to be a warning, but when she says “YES” I lose a little bit of the upper hand.

Oh, this age.

May 23 8:43 pm

11. Okay, I just saw this on my Blogher thing and I’m so glad I came over because the, “Don’t be fighting with me” was classic!

My son had potty training issues, too, and when I’d ask him if he wanted to use his big boy potty, he’d say, “No thank you.” How do you argue with that cause at least he was being polite!

May 25 10:46 am

ha so true- when they say cute things or politely decline… how can you get mad?? I THINK THEY KNOW THIS.

May 25 2:42 pm