weekend randomness

Sign of a good weekend? Getting sunburn on your arms.

We spent most of it outside. Maggie and me playing (or rather, Maggie playing and me, sitting in a chair in the yard because I’m supposed to be ‘taking it easy’, whatever THAT means.) While we floated back and forth between our yard and the neighbors’ yards, Dan was busy being Suburban Dad: cutting the grass, cleaning up the garage, and riding his tractor around the yard looking busy. And on Sunday, he got the job of spreading mulch in the flower beds with the help of my mom.

(Flower beds look GREAT. Pictures possibly soon, when it stops RAINING. boo)

Maggie decided to sneak up to the neighbor’s house yesterday morning without telling anyone. My mom pulled up as I was finishing Maggie’s sunscreen application. She nearly jumped out of her skin, she was so excited. I still needed to get myself ready for outside, so I told her to go ahead out and head down to the garage to see Grandma. About a minute later, my mom rang the doorbell and asked where Maggie was- the neighbors had yelled down and said she was up at their house? Was that alright?

Of course, IT WAS NOT ALRIGHT. (I mean, she’s allowed to go up there and play with the kids, as long as we’re with her when she crosses the street and we, um, KNOW SHE’S UP THERE.) The little stinker! I marched up the street and called for her. As soon as she turned and saw me, she froze.

She knew she was in trouble. Tears and hugs and explanations, even. (She tried unsuccessfully to convince me that I told her to go to the garage, but Grandma wasn’t THERE in the garage, so naturally her next move was to check at the neighbor’s house? Nice try, kid.)

It really wasn’t THAT big of a deal to us, but we needed to make it a lesson for her. In our neighborhood, she won’t make it too far without someone seeing her and making sure she’s safe. But still. It was not cool.

But I think she got the point.

I made pancakes for breakfast on Sunday morning. Then I had a slice of pizza FOR A SNACK in the afternoon before passing out for a 2 hour nap on the couch. Viva la Pregnancy!

There was a groundhog in our yard.

groundhog

Then Sunday night, nearly our entire street got together for a volleyball game. SERIOUSLY. That stuff happens in Real Life? Apparently so. It was a great evening- I watched the action from the comfort of my folding chair, of course, but it was still fun.

Also, at one point, I played the role of salon owner and gave Maggie a pedicure while she read a magazine.

Jen's Nail Salon

How was your weekend?

1. Korinna
    @twoadults

Am loving Maggie’s shark tattoo. Very nice! (and kinda bad ass).

And what’s up with the groundhog? Just passing through?
    .-= Korinna’s last blog post: Reason #563 Why I Married Him =-.

May 18 8:51 am

Yup, just passing through! It was cold and I was still in pajamas, or else I would have tried to get closer to get some pictures.

May 18 8:54 am

2. Mel
    @overdramaticmel

I love that she tried reasoning with you. That grandmas wasn’t in the garage, so she had to explore the neighborhood. What a smart ass. :D Is she 3 going on 13? :)

May 18 9:32 am

3. Alexis can not comprehend that she can’t roam the neighborhood without telling me first. Like, at all. I’m about to put up an electric fence because IT’S NOT OK. Gah!
    .-= Burgh Baby’s last blog post: It’s Crazy How Young They Start This Stuff =-.

May 18 10:06 am

Apparently I did the same thing around age 3. I was at the neighbor’s playing outside with the kids (which I was allowed to do) and then all the kids went inside to play (which I knew I was NOT allowed to do). But then the dad said ‘Come on in, it’s fine!’ and my 3-year-old brain thought ‘hey, he’s a grown up! and he said it’s okay!’ so in I went.

Then my mom spent who knows how long, wandering the neighborhood with my infant baby sister, crying and trying to find me. WHOOPS! Sorry Mom! :)

May 18 10:10 am

4. OMG, that story of her sneaking out is SO SCARY. T just learned how to open the door (lock and all) and it is freaking me out. We have beeps when they open, but still!! Yikes.

Love the photo of you doing her toenails! This same scene played out at my house this weekend only Tabby was watching Inspector Gadget and it was my husband doing the painting (he asked her what she wanted for some sort of bribe and that was it!!).

May 18 10:13 am

OMG, she tried to rationalize it… I’m laughing at that part, and yet, the wandering off part is very scary. Oliver is too shy to do that (YET) but I bet Andrew will be the one taking off without me someday… (not going to think about that, he’s still my innocent BAY-BEE!)

Glad to hear you’re taking it easy. It will be hard enough being pregnant in the upcoming summer, might as well make the best of it, even if that’s in a lawn chair!

May 18 11:03 pm

6. Completely off topic… I love your shirt. Where did you get it??
    .-= Meghan’s last blog post: Garden =-.

May 21 10:26 am

ooh Old Navy Maternity! It is SO comfortable and thin, perfect for summer.

May 21 10:29 am