halfway point

I am officially halfway through this pregnancy. TWENTY WEEKS. And I’m officially LARGE-BELLIED.

20 weeks

I know everyone says this when they are pregnant, but holy cow, you guys! How am I half-done already? The weeks are flying past so quickly… in a few weeks, we go to the beach, then after that is July, then August, then SEPTEMBER. THE MONTH OF MY DUE DATE.

I’m definitely feeling very pregnant. I’ve noticed I get winded now doing normal things like changing my clothes and walking up the steps, so that makes me feel quite old and out of shape. And the heartburn is fun- but it’s actually part of the reason my weight gain has been so low this time (only 8 pounds so far. I KNOW.) If I eat just a little bit too much at once, I pay for it with THE BURRRRRNN. So I’ve been trying to eat smaller portions and snacks, and most afternoons I feel so full that I don’t even WANT to have a snack. (Kind of a bummer, honestly, because part of the fun of pregnancy is EATING ALL THE FOOD.) My tailbone pain that bothered me for most of April has eased a bit- it still comes back if I’m on my feet too much or do something I probably shouldn’t do, but mostly it’s gone so I’m happy about that. Sore tailbones? No fun.

The fun part has started though- LOTS of kicks and bumps from the little girl in my belly, and Dan was actually able to feel her moving the other night. Makes all that heartburn worth it for sure.

The most interesting development has been finding out that I have a ‘low-lying placenta’. The doctor doesn’t seem to be overly-concerned, partly because I haven’t had any bleeding or anything (thank goodness!) and also because it’s fairly common at this stage of pregnancy. As the baby and my uterus grows, the placenta will move up and all should be well. But, to be safe, they will do another sonogram around 25 weeks to check on things. Until then, no heavy lifting, taking it easy, etc. Which I’ve been doing anyway :)

The next step in Baby Land is getting the room ready. I’m 99% sure I’ve decided on the bedding. Maggie helped me settle on purple!

(I think we’ll do light tan or pale yellow or something on the walls- similar to the rug in that picture- rather than drown the poor kid in PURPLE EVERYWHERE.)

Part of the baby room process was also getting Maggie a new bed for her room. Instead of buying another crib for the baby, we decided to just convert Maggie’s bed back into the crib and get her some Big Girl stuff (and she is VERY excited about sharing her crib with the baby, thankfully!) Her dressers are VERY old (one of them was Dan’s, and I think possibly even his dad’s at one point?) and they are really hard for her to open and get out her clothes, which is something she likes to do now that she can dress herself. So we headed out on Saturday and ordered this bed (twin sized), a nightstand, and the low dresser.

So! We’ve been busy! And we will be even busier in the next few months. I just hope my tired pregnant self can keep up!

Oh, I love the light purple and the bedding design!! That’s the color I dreamed of doing, if I’d had a girl. It’s SO pretty, plus it will give her room its own look, different from Maggie’s.

I bet Maggie will love her big girl stuff. I remember Oliver was really proud when he “upgraded,” lol.

You look awesome. Yay for being halfway!

May 10 9:54 pm

2. I love the purple too!
    .-= Laura’s last blog post: dependable and diligent, that’s me =-.

May 10 10:06 pm

3. Dave (Scrumpy Daddy)
    @scrumpydaddy

You’re looking great, Jen. We love purple with Abby, though we typically use a darker purple. I really like the lighter purple, though; it looks sharp!

It’s good that Maggie is excited to share her stuff with little girl #2 – that should (hopefully) make the bed (& other stuff) transition easier.

Good luck with everything! I hope the low-lying placenta doesn’t cause any problems. Rachel had that with Abby, and everything turned out fine. It did what it was predicted to do: moved up and out of the way. (“Move” is a funny term for this, science considered, but makes it easier to describe in general terms, I know.)

FYI: Abby has been twirling to Rachel singing “Let’s go bananas. B A N A N A S” since she saw the video the other day…you may just spread those cheerleading antics far & wide with this darned Internet exposure!

May 10 11:33 pm

haha sorry for the cheerleading influence! :) And thanks for the good wishes with my placenta (what a topic of conversation! heh) The doctor said yesterday ‘It’ll move.’ so I take that as a good sign!

May 11 7:46 am

4. sparkyd

You look fantastic!

I don’t know if you are actually going to use the exact bedding in that photo, but I’m totally drooling over that. Land of boys over here.

May 10 11:48 pm

5. How does one “not lift heavy things” and have a toddler at home? Talk about a challenge! But, good to hear you’ve successfully reached your halfway mark … I wanted to make some analogy about how you’re rounding second base on your way home, but I’m pretty sure you (or Dan!) had to hit a homerun to get you in this situation in the first place. ha.
    .-= Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks’s last blog post: Wiped =-.

May 11 8:14 am

yeah I have no idea. Thankfully I already started getting Maggie used to walking everywhere, knowing that by the end of the summer, I simply wouldn’t be able to carry her with my huge belly. So really the only time I lift her now is into shopping carts and into her carseat… and she doesn’t even weight 30lbs, so that helps too.

Dan likes to use the hockey analogy: ‘slipping one by the goalie’ ;)

May 11 8:25 am

6. Lookin’ good, lady! :) And I LOVE that bedding! So cute.
    .-= Kelly’s last blog post: Thin Thursday: Week Three =-.

May 11 9:01 am

7. Elisabeth
    @Epsnider

I just LOVE feeling my baby move! It’s one of the best things I’ve ever felt. I’m six weeks ahead of you and I definitely feel like the time has gone by really fast. Mostly I feel like the days have been LONG but the weeks have been short.
    .-= Elisabeth’s last blog post: At 26 Weeks =-.

May 11 10:23 am

8. Athena

LOVE the purple!!!!

May 11 11:24 am

9. husband

Suck in your gut…

May 11 12:08 pm

10. We did purple for baby girl #2′s room and I LOVE it.
    .-= ambitiousmrs’s last blog post: Onsen =-.

May 11 3:55 pm

11. Priscilla
    @pgreen730

I love that bedding!!! You look so good Jen, really.
    I had the low lying placenta as well…it all worked out by the end of the pregnancy. One of the perks?….a bonus ultrasound!! You get to see your girl again!! :)
    .-= Priscilla’s last blog post: A Mother’s Love =-.

May 11 6:39 pm

12. Mel
    @overdramaticmel

I’ve gotta say…I think it would be FUN to do lavender on the walls. Maybe something a tad lighter. :)

You’re belly is so cute!
    .-= Mel’s last blog post: where to move to? what to do? =-.

May 11 7:53 pm

13. Becca
    @beccasanborn

The bedding is super cute! Maggie is probably going to be so excited about everything. :)
    .-= Becca’s last blog post: The end of the semester =-.

May 12 11:24 am

14. Jen! Your little belly bump is so cute. I’m excited Maggie will have a baby sister. Seriously her and my Evie could be twins, with their blue eyes and bond curls, except eve is a few years behind. Wonder if the next one of yours will look the same! Love the purple plan. Too cute. Glad I’m finally catching up with things on your blog, I’ve been ridiculously busy lately, though with what i have no idea!
    .-= Sarah Wells’s last blog post: E- at the Zoo =-.

May 14 3:28 pm

So funny you say that- my mom saw Eve on your Christmas card and totally thought it was Maggie at first glance! Who would have thought looking at us that we’d both have little blond girls?? We are excited to see if this next girl has blond curls and green eyes (she gets those from Dan’s side of the family, believe it or not!) or if she’ll have darker hair and eyes like my side.

And yes- how is it that we can always be so darn busy but never KNOW WITH WHAT????! Happens to me too :)

May 14 3:51 pm