17 Weeks

17 Weeks.

This pregnancy is FLYING past. I’m nearly halfway done already, which just blows my mind. Next Thursday is The Big Ultrasound, the one in which we hope the little bun will have uncrossed legs so we can determine what flavor it is, and thus know what color to paint the room and all that fun stuff. We don’t really have any specific hopes either way (at least I don’t). A sister for Maggie would be nice, but a boy would be welcome too because I’m 99.9% sure that we’re done after this baby and it would be great to have ‘one of each’. Really though, I JUST WANT TO KNOW!

So far, this pregnancy has been quite different than my pregnancy with Maggie in a lot of ways. For one thing, I have a three year old to chase after, so my ability to rest is MUCH less than the first time around. I had just quit my full time job a week before finding out I was pregnant with Maggie, so I was able to spend all nine months of that pregnancy working from home on the couch. Very little movement, lots of eating = HELLO, WEIGHT GAIN.

I can’t remember exactly what I had gained by this point the first time, but so far this time, I’ve only gained 2 pounds. And I started out around 10 pounds lighter this time. This sounds great- and it is, really- but it’s leading to some problems with clothes. Nearly all of my maternity stuff is either the wrong season or still way too big for me. So I’m still wearing my regular pants with a Bella Band- and that’s working, but it’s been starting to get a little bit uncomfortable the last week or so. I REALLY need to get out and buy a few pairs of pants to get me through until it’s dress and flip flops weather!

And then there’s obviously the Faster Growing Belly. I’m about 3 or 4 weeks ahead of where I was last time, I think. Here are 15 weeks and 20 weeks with Maggie. Compare that with the picture above and… well, it’s true what they say about 2nd pregnancies. Holy big belly, batman!

I’ve had other symptoms that are different too. I very rarely want anything sweet which is SO NOT NORMAL FOR ME. Even not pregnant, I have a sweet tooth. Instead, I’m wanting potato chips and french onion dip at 10pm. Or cheese. Or popsicles. I have also been a lot more tired, which could just be because a) I’m older and b) THREE YEAR OLD IN THE HOUSE. There are also some other, more… um… PERSONAL symptoms that are different as well, but I’ll spare you those details (two words: BOOBS. SORE.)

But overall, the biggest difference for me is that I haven’t had a lot of time to think about The Baby yet. The first time around, it’s ALL ABOUT THE BABY! and I read books and articles and wanted to learn All About Being A Mom and Being Pregnant. Having done it once already, I don’t feel like I need to learn much about the whole process, I remember most things (though I’ve been trying to keep up with my Week-By-Week pregnancy book, just because I find fetal development fascinating and want to know what size fruit my baby is this week)

But mostly it’s just I don’t have TIME to think about it. I forget now and then that WHOA! I’m pregnant! We’re having ANOTHER BABY, OMG! Which might be a good thing, because if I think about it TOO much, I start to panic a little bit. Bottles, breastfeeding, baby spit up, newborn diapers, teething, baby food… all over again. I look at Maggie and she’s just SO grown up. It’s hard to remember when she was in my belly, when we didn’t know her, when we didn’t even know if she was a girl or a boy yet, when she was first born and had that weird squishy baby face and didn’t do anything other than cry, eat, and poop.

So next week we get to see this baby on the screen again. I’m excited to see if we can find out the gender. And I’m excited to know that everything is healthy and happy in there.

And I’m excited, because Maggie is coming with us and she’ll get to see the little person she’s been talking to through my shirt.

1. samantha jo campen
    @samanthajcampen

TWO POUNDS? TWO?

I’m sorry your post was great, details details blah blah blah TWO POUNDS.

It’s a boy.
    .-= samantha jo campen’s last blog post: SAHMemories =-.

Apr 20 9:46 pm

HAHA! Yes. Two pounds. And that wasn’t until last week.

BUT.

If I recall, by 5 months or so with Maggie, I had gained about 8 or 10 and that’s it (I actually lost weight at the beginning with her too- that didn’t happen this time). By the time she was born, I had gained 40- probably 20 of that was in the last month or so. SERIOUSLY. I couldn’t stop eating, it was disgusting. So, there’s still LOTS of time. Of course, I am going to try not to let things get so… out of hand this time. heh.

Apr 20 10:07 pm

2. I love LOVED my belly band (mine wasn’t a special brand I don’t think). I wore that thing all the way through my pregnancy and there have been more times than I can count on two hands that I’ve considered wearing it after being pregnant (I don’t think I have, though).

You look FANTASTIC!!
    .-= Laura’s last blog post: things i like on thursday =-.

Apr 20 10:03 pm

I never used a band with Maggie and I CANNOT FIGURE OUT WHY. It has bought me so much more time in ‘regular’ clothes! And even once I’m in maternity pants, I can see myself using it to keep the darn things up (I had a horrible time with my pants falling down! heh) The button extender thing worked for a few weeks, but eventually my pants got too tight to reach that close- and out came the band :)

Apr 20 10:10 pm

3. Pingback: Tweets that mention 17 Weeks | jayesel | a woman, a toddler, a husband, and a business. what could possibly go wrong? -- Topsy.com

I’m sorry, what? Two pounds? I bet I gained 2 lb the moment the second pink line appeared… lol.

You look lovely. :) Can’t wait to hear next week that Baby looks perfect!
    .-= Melissa’s last blog post: contact =-.

Apr 20 10:24 pm

5. I’m with Melissa…TWO pounds? I gain 10 lbs. before my FIRST APPOINTMENT! I get so sick all I want are carbs and starches. How is it possible for you to have a big baby belly and only gain TWO pounds?! That’s incredible. You look amazing. My first 2 pregnancies were night & day different. I literally knew the next morning that I was pregnant with my son and my boobs didn’t stop growing until I quit nursing that kid (and let’s just say I’m not lacking in that area to begin with). Yikes. My daughter’s was easy after the first trimester. I had no clue I was pregnant until I thought “hmmm…I think I’m late”. Same thing this time, so I’m thinking it’s a girl again. You wanna talk about Holy big belly, batman…come look at mine! I’m only 9 weeks!! Yikes. My husband keeps telling me it’s twins and I keep telling him I’m going to kill him if it is! haha
    .-= Jenn’s last blog post: Jewelry =-.

Apr 20 11:49 pm

6. Mel
    @overdramaticmel

2 pounds? Wow. I really hope to be as lucky. :) You look amazing!
    .-= Mel’s last blog post: passenger-side confessionals =-.

Apr 21 7:39 am

7. I’ve never been pregnant, so I didn’t even know you were supposed to gain weight when with child. =)

I love that this pregnancy is different for you … I think it’s great when a second child has their own unique circumstances when coming in the world. Otherwise, if it was the same as it was with Maggie, those are some pretty big shoe prints to follow, you know?

Apr 21 8:09 am

8. I bet it’s interesting to watch your pregnancy through the eyes of a 3-year old.
    .-= bluzdude’s last blog post: Barnstorming – The Transformation =-.

Apr 21 8:52 am

9. Lookin’ good! :) And I think its a boy, too.

Apr 21 9:37 am

10. I’ve been mostly MIA, so this is the first opportunity for me to congratulate you! Congrats!

Apr 21 10:56 am

11. bessie.viola
    @bessie_viola

You look adorable! Am always jealous of the all-belly gals like yourself.

I am so excited to read as you go from one to two. I’m going to be taking notes! :)
    .-= bessie.viola’s last blog post: WOO-HOOOO =-.

Apr 21 12:57 pm

12. Athena

You look great! Can’t wait to find out what flavor you got this time!!!

Memories…makes me want to be pregnant again…. oops, did I just say that out loud???!!!

Apr 21 1:50 pm

13. I am want to look like you when I am pregnant (one day!). The End. :)
    .-= Stefanie’s last blog post: This summer is for… =-.

Apr 21 10:16 pm