March 15, 2010
So! What have you all been up to lately?… Oh, me? Well, let’s see…
1. TWELVE WEEKS! That’s how many weeks pregnant I am, as of today. And I’m happy to report that I’m starting to feel a bit more human. I’m still completely exhausted and need a lot of naps and occasionally get a bit queasy and have trouble eating. But mostly, I’ve figured out what works: scrambled eggs for breakfast (even though at first I was GAGGING at the thought, once I make them and eat them, I feel way better). An after-breakfast snack, usually cheese or yogurt. Sour candy. I’m usually feeling great at lunchtime, so I’m able to eat whatever I want. Dinner is my big question mark, some days I’m feeling pretty awful by late afternoon and the thought of eating anything makes me want to hurl. But, like I said, that seems to be getting gradually better.
The hilarious thing right now is, just as I’m starting to feel better and have a *little* bit more energy? I GOT A COLD. bwahahahahaha! Isn’t that awesome? I can thank my kid who likes to steal my chapstick for that one. (Thankfully, so far, it’s not a raging cold. Just enough that I spent most of yesterday on the couch.)
2. I’m no longer a single parent! For the past… 3 weeks or so, things around our house have been a little bit nuts. First of all- I am spoiled. I have a husband who is home every night by 5:30, 6:00 at the latest. And when he’s home, he is SUCH a huge help with Maggie and letting me take breaks to do fun things like clean the kitchen and fold laundry (I know. My life is SO GLAMOROUS!)
It all started when he traveled to Baltimore for a few days to visit his sick grandmother (and while he was gone, we got to take a trip to Urgent Care!) He got home from that trip on a Sunday night, only to leave the next morning for Florida for 4 days (and you all remember the fun I had that week!) Then he got home and we found out his grandmother passed away, so we quickly planned our trip down for the funeral (and Maggie stayed with my parents for 3 days) Got home from Baltimore that weekend, and he left again last Tuesday for the second work trip that was originally scheduled the week of the funeral. He got home Thursday night and let’s just say, I think we’re ALL happy Daddy’s home. (Though I will say, Maggie was MUCH better this week than the first week Dan was gone.)
If it hadn’t been during my first trimester, the whole Parenting Alone thing wouldn’t be a big deal, really. But the 9th and 10th week of my pregnancy were so far the worst, and HEY! Guess when it was that Dan was gone!? That which doesn’t kill me makes me stronger…
3. Painting! We had painters come last Friday to finish up the project I started back in January. Normally I would just do it myself. I personally feel that painting while pregnant is fine- I did it while pregnant with Maggie- as long as the room is well-ventilated and I’m not up on a super-high ladder. Plus we’re using low-VOC paint so it’s not all stinky. But this part of the house includes a 2-story entry. So, we spent a few weeks getting estimates and got a great deal on the whole sha-bang. We are one step closer to getting rid of all the peachy-orange paint that’s all through the house.
(And no, I haven’t taken pictures yet. Still have a shelf to put back up.)
4. Nemo On Ice! You may have seen a few pictures in my last post of some crazy fish costumes and wondered what the heck that was all about. We bought tickets a few weeks ago and waited until Saturday morning to tell Maggie we were going (although I don’t think she really had a clue what we were talking about!) But she had a blast, and honestly I did too. It was so much fun watching her watch it- and she WATCHED it. We have never taken her to any kind of formal entertainment- not even a movie theater- so I really wasn’t sure how she’d react. She was sucked in right away and barely took her eyes off of the ice. I highly recommend it if they come to your city. Even Dan was giddy when the seagulls came out.
5. Work. Maggie’s birthday party planning. Naps. Laundry (sorta.) Work. Maybe another nap.