Tomorrow morning I’m boarding a plane to Chicago to visit Samantha (blog / Twitter) and attend a Wii Fit (YOGA!) party (thanks to the folks at Brand About Town) with her and some other lovely ladies. I’ve never met Samantha (nor any of the other girls), yet I’ll be sleeping at her house for 2 days, eating her food, playing with her adorable little kid, and possibly making s’mores in her backyard.

While that might sound insane to most people- heck, it sounds insane to ME!- know that I am totally excited. A bit nervous, yes (um, I have to/get to ride in a CAB, you guys. BY MYSELF. I have never been in a taxi before. I might pee my pants.) but mostly, very very jazzed.

(And yes, I said jazzed.)

I don’t know much about the Wii Fit party or Brand About Town or any of it really. But when I heard ‘trip’ and ‘bloggers’ and ‘yoga’ and ‘MEETING SAMANTHA’, I was all over it. (A big Thank You to my dear husband for not killing me for spending money on plane tickets and being willing to Single Dad-It for the weekend while I go play with strangers from the Internet. SMOOCHES.)

This trip has been planned for about 2 months, so you can imagine my dismay when earlier this week, I started getting sick. Nothing major, just a cold, but DUDE. Colds suck. Colds on airplanes? Suck even more. Nearly every time I fly, my ears hurt like crazy and I curse the pilot for not descending more slowly so that my sensitive eardrums have time to adjust (I mean, REALLY! HOW RUDE of the pilot, right?) So flying with a cold sounds pretty much like HELL to me. Not to mention the fact that I need to be in tip-top shape so I can party and tour the city and not be a miserable, snotty mess the whole weekend.

But I’m happy to report that a couple of early bedtimes plus drinking Airborne 3 times daily since Monday has effectively kicked this cold to the curb. It never really took hold, just a day or two of sore throat, slight headache, and *almost* a stuffy nose.

All hail the effervescent magic powers of whatever the heck is in Airborne. It might be a hoax, but this is like the fiftieth time it has worked for me.

SO! I’ll be ready to rock tomorrow morning. Bright and early, since I need to be at the airport by 7 (OUCH.) which means I have to leave the house by 6 (OY.) which means dragging my butt out of bed by 5 (SOB.) It’ll be worth it though. I’ve never been to Chicago, so I’m really excited to see it. And someone told me that it’s like, a law or something that I eat some deep dish pizza while I’m there.

To that I say: YES PLEASE.

1. samantha jo campen

December 3, 2009 3:37 pm

I DID! I TOLD YOU! It *is* a law.

And don’t forget the pumpkin pancakes on Sunday morning. It’s my goal in life to send you back to PA 10 pounds heavier :-)

This post just made me squee at my desk I’m so excited ZOMG.
    .-= samantha jo campen’s last blog post: The Sound =-.

2. Dave

December 3, 2009 3:41 pm

Have fun!
    .-= Dave’s last blog post: In Memory of Maddie Tremper =-.

3. Sara @ Belle Plaine

December 3, 2009 3:47 pm

Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow night! And yes, deep dish pizza is required on a visit to Chicago. Though don’t ask us locals where to go…you’ll get ten different answers and possibly a fist fight if no one agrees. We take our deep dish seriously :)
    .-= Sara @ Belle Plaine’s last blog post: Before the first snow of the season =-.

4. C @ Kid Things

December 3, 2009 4:01 pm

I’m sure you wouldn’t be the first, or the last, person to pee in a cab.
    .-= C @ Kid Things’s last blog post: Seven =-.

December 3, 2009 4:12 pm

Awesome! You will love Chicago! (and Samantha, I’m sure)

Have fun! And eat extra pizza for me!!!
    .-= Melissa’s last blog post: Andrew’s birth day =-.

6. Sarah Viola

December 4, 2009 12:42 am

I’m stupid-excited about tomorrow night. Almost irrationally, because HELLO NIGHT OUT and WINE and YOGA PANTS. Can’t wait to meet you!
    .-= Sarah Viola’s last blog post: Heavy Rotation =-.

7. Laura

December 4, 2009 1:26 am

Eat deep dish at Gino’s east!!! For the reals. BEST. And coolest atmosphere ever.
    I hope you have a great trip. Chicago is the only city in which I have actually HAILED A CAB. We don’t have things like that on the west coast. It’s the closest to my dream of NYC that I have ever been. :)
    .-= Laura’s last blog post: oh by gosh, by golly =-.

8. Sarah Wells

December 4, 2009 5:23 pm

I remember the first time I took a cab alone. I think it was in St. lois for a conference or something. I was pretty sure I’d get murdered by someone who pretended to be a cabbie and drove a yellow cab, but was really a murderer. Well, I didn’t have to worry, it was totally fine. You won’t get murdered. you’ll have fun. Chicago is fun, too. Jimmy and i are going up there at some point in may or june for an oncology conference. Have an awesome time!! the art museum there is good, if you are into that!
    .-= Sarah Wells’s last blog post: Entering the aquarium =-.

9. Francesca

December 4, 2009 8:58 pm

You should get some nasal decongestant. I flew from Melbourne to Singapore last night with a cold, could not have survived the flight without Spraytish :D I hope your ears were alright!!

December 7, 2009 9:19 am

I definitely took some decongestant, that’s my usual trick! I also found these earplugs (called ‘Earplanes’) that seem to work really well. I had a few pinches on the way home last night, but nothing major. so yay :)

10. SoMi's Nilsa

December 7, 2009 9:14 am

Jen, it was SO GREAT to meet you Friday night. Sam really knows how to throw a party. I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to top those hostess gifts. hahaha. I see her comment above where she said she wanted to send you home 10 pounds heavier. I’m pretty sure, by that, she meant she wanted to send you home with a new Wii Fit Plus! hahaha.
    .-= SoMi’s Nilsa’s last blog post: Birthday =-.

December 7, 2009 9:21 am

It was great to meet you too!!! LOL and yes, Sam definitely sent me home heavier- both from the Wii Fit in my suitcase and the gazillion pounds of food she fed me :) But I had a blast so it was all worth it!