a day alone

One day last week, the lovely AndreAnna (aka ModernMatriarch on Twitter) posed an interesting question. One that Moms everywhere DREAM ABOUT.

Question on Twitter from ModernMatriarch

My first reaction was OMG SLEEP. But of course, not only is that boring, that’s an incredibly inefficient use of time. I mean- right there, she said “If you woke up”. Why would I go *back* to sleep? Even though it sounds awesome and like every mother’s dream.

I needed to think about this for a bit. And also needed to devote way more than 140 characters to my response.

The problem with a question like this- for me, at least- is that even if the kid is taken care of and I don’t have anything pressing for work and the house is clean… I can still find Things That Need Done. Laundry, hanging that mirror that’s been sitting in the dining room for a week, painting the living room, cleaning out those old files in the office… there is a constant revolving list of Things I Could Do. And I am genetically mutated in such a way that is VERY hard for me to do nothing. I am a Super Multi-Tasker and start to shake if I’m only doing one thing at a time. And while it is true that I’m great at getting things done, I sometimes consider it a weakness. I have this compulsion to Do instead of Be.

I’m trying to work on that.

But anyway. Let’s say I have a whole day- 24 hours!- to do whatever I want to do. Forgive me if I get a little bit dizzy at the idea, because HOLY CRAP. That would be awesome. Here’s a list of things I would do, in no particular order:

Play XBOX.

Go shopping.

Go for a walk.

Have lunch at Spice Island Tea House, either alone or with a friend, doesn’t really matter to me.

Read a book.

Watch as many Gilmore Girls episodes as possible, UNINTERRUPTED AND WITHOUT FOLDING LAUNDRY AT THE SAME TIME.

Lose 5 pounds. (hey, it’s a fantasy, so I say it can happen in just a day.)

Get a massage.

Blog surf through my Google Reader without feeling rushed, actually being able to comment on each post, rather than just skim & Mark As Read.

Go to a park or somewhere cool and take pictures.

And… I’m pretty sure those activities either will take longer than 24 hours or will cause me to not be able to sleep at all that night. But, whatever. It’s a dream day, and maybe I’ll ask Santa for it!

So. What would you do?

1. C @ Kid Things
    @kidthingsnet

Pee in peace.
    .-= C @ Kid Things’s last blog post: Traditions =-.

Nov 19 5:15 pm

2. Ooooh :).

I agree with your first thought. First, I’d go back to sleep :).

Nov 19 8:45 pm

3. oh yeah, I would march back in my room and get some much needed rest! but I suppose I could also find stuff to do. like read. and craft. and take a shower that’s longer than 5 minutes. maybe even get a pedicure.
    .-= Beth in SF’s last blog post: Robot Roll Call =-.

Nov 19 9:15 pm

4. Man. I have absolutely no idea. Sleep: I get a lot of it. I usually get naps on weekends (if I want them) and plenty of sleep each night. Shopping, read a book or magazine, browse the web, play games? I do these on either a daily or weekly basis. I always shower and pee in peace. I already watch a lot of movies and I don’t like TV. Honestly, I don’t really want 24 hours to myself. Can my husband come with me? Seriously – I’m a freak or something.

But, do I have unlimited money for 24 hours too? Cause then I could SHOP. I mean, I shop a lot anyway. But I would do it some more. ;)

And also, I think maybe paint my toenails. I don’t really want a professional mani or pedi or massage, but I can never find time to paint my nails. I’d take a while and do a good job. :)

And yes, definitely take my camera and go photoing. Maybe downtown, with my brother, like we used to do.
    .-= Laura’s last blog post: thanksgiving #19 =-.

Nov 19 11:05 pm

5. Okay, say I can BE anywhere for 24 hours. DISNEYLAND, baby. Even by myself. Can I do this instead?
    .-= Laura’s last blog post: thanksgiving #19 =-.

Nov 19 11:08 pm

I say it’s your fantasy, so you can go anywhere you want and take anyone you want along for the ride :)

Also: JEALOUS that you always pee in peace. heh

Nov 20 7:29 am

Sleeping through a night, let alone an entire day, sounds heavenly. :)
    .-= Melissa’s last blog post: multiplying and dividing =-.

Nov 19 11:10 pm

7. I’m with you on the slepe thing. Mostly, I sleep well so I feel like a nap would be time wasted.

I think I’d love to go shopping to a farmers market and make a big elaborate meal. In a big huge kitchen, like Martha Stewart’s. All while listening to blues and sipping wine.

Yeah, that’s my thing.
    .-= AndreAnna’s last blog post: Sassy pants =-.

Nov 20 9:23 am

8. Sleep would be nice! However, if that were a big no-no, I think I would spend the day at the beach with my hubby and babe and take lots of photos and have picnics. I’m hoping that it would be nice weather as well. :)
    .-= Cassie’s last blog post: Can you go to the doctor for “spray paint finger”? =-.

Nov 20 10:44 am

9. My first reaction was sleep too, but again, I have a 4 week old so I’d take uninterrupted sleep any day. I’d also like to go shopping – there are a few stores I want to hit but don’t because I don’t want to drag the whole family around with me :)

Nov 21 8:52 pm