thankful

We had a rare day at home today- an entire morning without rushing to the grocery store or the doctor or some other random errand- so I took some inspiration from Emily and made a Thankful Tree with Maggie.

thankful tree

As Emily mentioned, trying to explain Thanksgiving to a small child is tricky. I tried the “What makes you happy?” angle, but that led to some weird, questioning looks. So then I put it another way: “What are your favorite things?” (She’s very into Favorites lately.)

She quickly spouted out a list: PENGUINS! LIONS! CHURCH! (that one made me smile.)

Then she seemed out of ideas, so I asked her more specific questions: “What’s your favorite food?”

PIZZA!

“What’s your favorite toy?”

LEGOS!

“Who are your favorite people?

MOMMY! DADDY! GRANDMAS! PAP-PAPS!

“What’s your favorite thing to watch on tv?”

WORD WORLD!

and then…

FOOTBALL!

I think there was a tear of joy in my eye on that one.

By the end, her hands were mostly glue and the green and orange leaves are made of sticky notes because we only had brown and yellow construction paper left. But when it was finally dry, she was super excited to put it on the fridge.

1. Dave
    @scrumpydaddy

:-) This is awesome.
    .-= Dave’s last blog post: Traditions =-.

Nov 17 2:11 pm

2. I love it! FOOTBALL! And DUDE, yours is way cuter than mine. :)

Nov 17 2:12 pm

I’m pretty sure Dan’s going to cry with joy and pride when he hears that one! Just the other night she said “I wanna watch floot-ball” (she says it so cute.)

Nov 17 2:14 pm

3. Now THAT is fun. I’m totally doing that with Sam. Big Tom would just eat the glue and paper. I might even make extra and take it for Thanksgiving to keep the kids occupied for a bit. Good stuff!

Nov 17 2:14 pm

ooh good idea! yeah if you cut the leaves beforehand and give the kids some crayons, they’ll keep busy for a while. I think we should all make one!

Nov 17 2:15 pm

4. That is the cutest thing EVA! I am also thankful for pizza.
    .-= Cassie’s last blog post: Can you go to the doctor for “spray paint finger”? =-.

Nov 18 10:30 am

5. I love the tree and am thinking about doing this with my 3 year daughter. I have also seen something like this done using a child’s hand print, which ends up looking like a turkey. You write what they are thankful for on the fingers and then on the thumb you put a face for the turkey and color in the body. You can do it every year and watch how your child’s hand changes and the depth of their answers.
    .-= Rachel’s last blog post: Traditions =-.

Nov 18 9:17 pm

6. Such well placed priorities she has! Would that they remain as she grows up!
    .-= bluzdude’s last blog post: Animal House =-.

Nov 18 10:14 pm