October 7, 2009
I love fall. Cooler weather, football, the crunch of leaves on the sidewalk, sweaters, football. And also: new tv shows!
I didn’t used to watch much tv- just a few regular shows- but lately it’s been a nice way for us to unwind in the evenings after Maggie goes to bed. We’re both working so hard and we’re so busy, so it’s a much-needed escape. By 8:30, we collapse on the couch and stare at the glowing box for a while, NOT using our brains.
Having a 2 year old doesn’t allow for much Live Television watching, so I am in looove with our DVR. We’re able to record different shows and watch them when it’s convenient- and quicker too, because we can fast-forward through the commercials (sssh, don’t tell the networks!) So this season, I lined up a bunch of good ones on my list.
1. Glee. So far, this is one of my favorites. It’s funny, it’s a little bit dark, it’s sarcastic, and it’s not a crime drama or doctor show. It’s different. Plus, I love musicals and was in chorus in high school, so I enjoy the music and dancing SO much. I missed the first 4 episodes so I had to catch up online. And I’m glad I did. I really really love this show.
2. Modern Family. Let’s just say I nearly choked on my laughter during the first episode (if you saw it, two words: Lion King). I didn’t really expect to like this show, to be honest- I figured it would have a few chuckles, but I didn’t have high hopes. Lucky for me I was wrong! I have no idea if anyone else thinks it’s a funny show, but I’m enjoying it. Which probably means it will be canceled mid-season. heh
3. Community. We kind of accidentally watched the premiere for this one because it was on after The Office (which I’m sure was the plan. Good job, NBC!) I don’t think it’s going to win any awards, but it’s pretty funny. Joel McHale is hilarious and the characters around him are very… colorful. Plus, the girl who plays Britta is from Pittsburgh! woohoo
4. The Good Wife. This is an unusual show for me to watch, actually. I don’t normally watch any lawyer or crime shows, but I added this one to my list because of Julianna Margulies– LOVED her on ER. Also, Matt Czuchry of Gilmore Girls fame! And of course, Chris Noth (though he hasn’t been in the show very much yet) It’s a pretty standard lawyer show- each episode is a new case- but there’s also quite a bit of personal drama with the main character and her family. Good show so far.
5. Cougar Town. Totally raunchy and not much of a plot and admittedly, a bit shallow, but I think Courtney Cox is hilarious. (Monica was always my favorite on Friends.) It’s fast-paced and funny. Even Dan chuckled a few times. Again- not gonna win any awards, but it’s entertaining. Which is what it’s all about, right?
And then of course, there are the usuals: The Office, Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory: These are the oldies but goodies. Thursday nights, our DVR works overtime, but that’s alright- we have all weekend to catch up!
So what are you watching this season?