home sweet home

We’ve been in our house for 2 months already. Several of you have asked (nicely!) to see some pictures of the place, and I’ve been putting it off because OMG I NEED TO DECORATE! THE WALLS ARE SO NAKED! but then I realized I’d probably be 50 before that ever gets done. Also nearly the entire house is painted the exact same (boring) color of peach/beige/taupe and while it’s not offensive, it is a bit monotonous so I’m currently working on finding some new colors. But if I waited for THAT to be done, I’d be 90 for sure.

So! How about a tour?

(Warning: Picture-heavy post!)

Come on in!
Our House

We are so in love with the entry. Compared to our old house… well, there’s just no comparison, really.
Our House

To the right of the entry is the dining room.
Our House

To the left is the living room. Er… the playroom, actually.

(Maggie Wuz Heer.)

Let’s head straight through the hallway to the kitchen! (to the left is the basement door, that door on the right is a closet)
Our House

Also on the left is the powder room. Pit-stop anyone?
Our House

Continuing on into the kitchen.

Our House

Connecting the kitchen and the dining room is the butler’s pantry.
Our House

In addition to Mucho Cabinet & Counterspace, off to the right of the butler’s pantry is the laundry room. With my sparkly new washer & dryer! (which were a totally unexpected but necessary purchase because, um, we forgot we had an electric dryer and whoops! no electric hookup. And we had my uncle come to put in an electric line but ran into issues with location and no more room on the electrical box and blah blah blah, long story short: I convinced Dan to let me buy these babies and you know what? Doing laundry is almost not sucky now!)
Our House

Another view of the dining room from the butler’s pantry.
Our House

(See that centerpiece on the table? FIFTEEN BUCKS AT COSTCO. I love Costco.)

And back into the kitchen. I’m currently hunting for a nice, not ridiculously expensive, new table and chairs for that empty space on the left.
Our House

(Those bar stools? $25 a piece. Which, if you’ve ever shopped for bar stools, you know that is Dirt Cheap. Holy crap are bar stools a ripoff. Almost as bad as garbage cans.)

Let’s take a peek out on the deck, shall we?
Our House

It’s more of a balcony at this point- small and no steps going to the yard. But we’ve got some ideas and plans, baby.

Turn to the left and you’re in the family room.
Our House

That’s Inksplash Designs Headquarters there on the left. Impressive, I know.

View from the family room looking back toward the kitchen.
Our House

And looking back through the living room toward the front entry.
Our House

Another view of the Hurricane Maggie destruction in the front living room.
Our House

Looking back into the family room (love the French doors! even though we’ll probably never close them!)

Back to the start!

Now for the upstairs…

Our House

The first room at the top of the steps on the right is Maggie’s room. It’s very pink. (It was like this when we moved in.)

Our House

Her room is gigantic. My Childhood Self is extremely jealous.

She also has her own bathroom. (well, she WILL eventually have to share it with a sibling, but I had to share a bathroom with a sister, a mom, a dad, and a washer and dryer as a kid, so really: not a bad deal for her. Plus there are TWO SINKS.)
Our House

The office/current storage room. The room has been unpacked since I took this picture, but there is still that stack of pictures and miscellaneous wall decor sitting there. I can’t wait to finish hanging everything so I can put some fluffy pillows on that window seat.
Our House

View of the upstairs hallway from the office door.
Our House

This is the currently unoccupied extra bedroom. Here’s hoping Future Kid #2 is a boy! ha
Our House

Looking down on the entry from the upstairs hallway.
Our House

Turning around and you have… our bedroom. Double doors!

Our House

And my VERY OWN CLOSET that is probably bigger than the bedroom my sister and I shared growing up.

Our House

Dan has his own closet too. His is smaller. I WIN.
Our House

Walking from our bedroom into our master bathroom. Double doors!
Our House

If you stood on top of the tub, this is what you’d see!

Our House

And now back downstairs, and then waaaay downstairs to the basement.

Our House

It’s not finished, but it’s big and clean and great for storage and the BowFlex for now. Someday we’ll finish it and made it into a game room, and probably add another bathroom down here as well. (That door on the far right goes out to the backyard.)
Our House

Turning around, we can take a peek at the garage through this door.
Our House

The garage is 3-car, which is perfect because we have a 1952 MG Midget that doesn’t run and needs some storage.
Our House

And that completes the tour! Stop by if you’re ever in the neighborhood, we can share some cookies or something.

(Don’t forget about Pink For October! Click through the archives, leave me a comment, check out the ‘More Posts Like This’- anything to get those page views up so there’s more to give at the end of the month!)

1. Given that I’m orginally from the Burgh, I love the Steelers grill cover! But I am also very impressed that you seem to contain the kid mess — impressive. We always limited toys to two rooms (granted, there was a trail from one to the other), but it beat large plastic ugly stuff in EVERY space. Thanks for the tour!
    .-= Hollee’s last blog post: Welcome Back to Five-Bite Friday =-.

Oct 17 8:28 pm

ha well… I should be honest and put a disclaimer by all of these pictures: there was a mad dash to clean things up a bit before I got out the camera :) Usually there are toys strewn EVERYWHERE, no matter how hard we try.

Oct 17 8:59 pm

2. Mel
    @overdramaticmel

Your home is fantastic!

And while this seems silly? The thing I was most excited about? Was your butler’s pantry. Lol…. I want one….

Oct 17 8:54 pm

So funny, because it’s something I never thought about having but I love it!! We had a walk-in pantry in our old house that was really nice to have, so I was worried I would miss it. But there are tons more cabinets anyway, plus the extra counter space is fantastic (we stick the coffee pot and toaster oven in there so I have more room while I’m cooking!)

Oct 17 9:01 pm

3. Crissy
    @Crissy

Wow your house is SO nice. The kind of house people dream about!

Oct 17 9:54 pm

4. Holy cow, that is a gorgeous house. WOW. I know we will never have a house that big (it’s just not going to happen if we plan on moving to a more urban area) so all I can do is dream and drool over yours.

Congratulations again on finding such an awesome house & neighborhood to call home!
    .-= Melissa’s last blog post: the ABC’s of the next three weeks =-.

Oct 17 10:39 pm

5. So nice!! Love the double doors in the living room!!!

Beautiful!!

Oct 17 11:39 pm

6. Dave
    @scrumpydaddy

You guys have a beautiful & awesome house! I agree with Crissy; it’s the kind of house people (meaning me) dream about. I’d love to have a place like yours someday, but unless ol’ Mr. Powerball graces our lives, it’s unlikely to happen. We’re definitely blessed and happy where we are, but we all dream, don’t we?

Congratulations on finding and getting such a great place! And from some of your other posts, it sounds like the neighbors are great, too.

Oh yeah, I love the closets, hardwood floors, and butler pantry. I can see tons of holidays and parties being served well by that extra counter space. Congrats again! (You planning on hosting any kind of a Burgh Parents Steeler party or anything??? Huh? Huh? I’ll bring the soft pretzels and cheese dip! Heh.)
    .-= Dave’s last blog post: Grandma, Great Grandma, and coffee cake =-.

Oct 17 11:41 pm

ooh that’s not a bad idea, the BurghMom/Dad Steeler party :)

Oct 18 9:21 pm

7. C @ Kid Things
    @kidthingsnet

Your house is gorgeous.
    .-= C @ Kid Things’s last blog post: A Post About a Skillet. No, Really, it’s Exciting! =-.

Oct 17 11:57 pm

8. So beautiful! Thanks for sharing, the photos are great too. Though on the photo of the back deck, what’s going on with your neighbor’s house — is it on fire? :)

I love that the master bath has opposing sinks (my husband and I have double-sinks but his stuff is always migrating over to my space… it’s all the contact lens stuff he has!), also I love the green paint color in your powder room. Gorgeous. And the siding and windows on the front – realtors would say “your house has great curb-appeal.”

You’ll love it for years to come.

Oct 18 12:16 am

ha :) No that’s a window cling from my Halloween/fall decorations. Now that I look at it, it does look funny though! haha

Oct 18 9:24 pm

9. Yeah, so, when can I move in? Your house is SEXY. Your kitchen is the SEXIEST. I want it.

Also – french doors are so cool, whether you close them or not!
    .-= Cassie’s last blog post: Dear Coupons: Let’s get married. =-.

Oct 18 12:19 am

10. Kris

thanks for sharing the pictures. Your house is gorgeous.

I love the butler pantry (and, I might be wrong here, but is the laundry room off of that?), the hardwoods and all the French doors. LOVE the french doors. We have openings in our house that are wide enough for French doors and I am constantly pestering my husband to install some (good thing he’s handy and can!). The kitchen is great (we have the same one in our living room! ha!), you have so much counter space now. The whole house is huge! Do you sometimes feel like you loose each other?

And I have to say, yournger me is also a little jealous of the size of Maggie’s bedroom. Wow. Once she turns 13 you are never going to see her again, she could ‘hide’ in there for years!! ;)

Oct 18 9:45 am

11. What a great place. The pictures make me think of the OBX rental web sites.

Oct 18 12:33 pm

That’s exactly how we felt the first couple of weeks- like we were on vacation and would have to go home in a few days. :)

Oct 18 9:27 pm

12. I am officially green with envy. Your house is beautiful.

Oct 18 2:20 pm

13. Your home is beautiful!
    .-= Jamie’s last blog post: Straight Away =-.

Oct 18 2:53 pm

14. Carley

I love, love, LOVE your house! It’s fantastic in every way! Yell if you need help painting! We’ll hopefully be out that way sometime soon! :)

Oct 18 4:26 pm

15. san

OMG, your new house? It’s ridiculous… ridiculously awesome! I want it!

Love your bedroom… too bad IKEA doesn’t sell that frame anymore :(

Oct 18 4:38 pm

16. I’m in love with your house! This is the kind of house I’ve always dreamed of having. I’ve lived in cramped apartments my whole life. :(

Oct 18 8:26 pm

17. Pocklock
    @pocklock

You live in my dream house. It’s so beautiful, Jen. Congrats & Happy New House! It must feel great to be somewhere you’ll never have to leave.
    .-= Pocklock’s last blog post: The One About Food =-.

Oct 18 9:47 pm

18. I looooove your house. Sooooo much. It was weird to be there and be loving it and to realize that *I* have a pretty kick-ass house, too. Us trailer chicks are movin’ on up, yo.
    .-= Burgh Baby’s last blog post: Heeeeeelp! =-.

Oct 19 3:42 pm

19. That is a great house. We live in an 800 sq. foot flat in San Francisco, and a house that size would cost us…an obscene amount of money. So, needless to say, I’m super jealous. Congrats to you, enjoy the lovely home!
    .-= Beth in SF’s last blog post: My 100th Post! =-.

Oct 19 6:23 pm

oh geez, yeah, San Francisco has a little different real estate market than Pittsburgh, heh. I give you credit for squeezing into an 800sq foot place :)

Oct 19 7:23 pm

20. Me-likey — and really lovely — Jen. We’re going to start looking in the new year for a bigger place in the area. Maybe we’ll end up neighbors?!

The holidays will be fun — so much space for Maggie to decorate with ripped up wrapping paper and bows :)
    .-= Susan’s last blog post: Taking a bow =-.

Oct 20 7:39 am

hey there are 2 houses on the market right now on our street :) One has a POOL!!!

I am definitely looking forward to being able to put up our Christmas tree without having to shove my writing desk in the corner of the dining room! hehe It was getting squished at the old place around Christmas time!

Oct 20 7:46 am