the boob tube

I love fall. Cooler weather, football, the crunch of leaves on the sidewalk, sweaters, football. And also: new tv shows!

I didn’t used to watch much tv- just a few regular shows- but lately it’s been a nice way for us to unwind in the evenings after Maggie goes to bed. We’re both working so hard and we’re so busy, so it’s a much-needed escape. By 8:30, we collapse on the couch and stare at the glowing box for a while, NOT using our brains.

It’s glorious.

Having a 2 year old doesn’t allow for much Live Television watching, so I am in looove with our DVR. We’re able to record different shows and watch them when it’s convenient- and quicker too, because we can fast-forward through the commercials (sssh, don’t tell the networks!) So this season, I lined up a bunch of good ones on my list.

1. Glee. So far, this is one of my favorites. It’s funny, it’s a little bit dark, it’s sarcastic, and it’s not a crime drama or doctor show. It’s different. Plus, I love musicals and was in chorus in high school, so I enjoy the music and dancing SO much. I missed the first 4 episodes so I had to catch up online. And I’m glad I did. I really really love this show.

2. Modern Family. Let’s just say I nearly choked on my laughter during the first episode (if you saw it, two words: Lion King). I didn’t really expect to like this show, to be honest- I figured it would have a few chuckles, but I didn’t have high hopes. Lucky for me I was wrong! I have no idea if anyone else thinks it’s a funny show, but I’m enjoying it. Which probably means it will be canceled mid-season. heh

3. Community. We kind of accidentally watched the premiere for this one because it was on after The Office (which I’m sure was the plan. Good job, NBC!) I don’t think it’s going to win any awards, but it’s pretty funny. Joel McHale is hilarious and the characters around him are very… colorful. Plus, the girl who plays Britta is from Pittsburgh! woohoo

4. The Good Wife. This is an unusual show for me to watch, actually. I don’t normally watch any lawyer or crime shows, but I added this one to my list because of Julianna Margulies- LOVED her on ER. Also, Matt Czuchry of Gilmore Girls fame! And of course, Chris Noth (though he hasn’t been in the show very much yet) It’s a pretty standard lawyer show- each episode is a new case- but there’s also quite a bit of personal drama with the main character and her family. Good show so far.

5. Cougar Town. Totally raunchy and not much of a plot and admittedly, a bit shallow, but I think Courtney Cox is hilarious. (Monica was always my favorite on Friends.) It’s fast-paced and funny. Even Dan chuckled a few times. Again- not gonna win any awards, but it’s entertaining. Which is what it’s all about, right?

And then of course, there are the usuals: The Office, Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory: These are the oldies but goodies. Thursday nights, our DVR works overtime, but that’s alright- we have all weekend to catch up!

So what are you watching this season?

1. Candace
    @girlhaq

I watched a couple of episodes of Glee on hulu. I think I like it but I need to watch it a couple more times. Gene isn’t a huge fan of musicals so I don’t think he cared too much for it. I also like Community but agree that it isn’t going to win any awards. We aren’t big TV watchers around here.. We record Community, Family Guy and try to watch The Office from time to time.
    .-= Candace’s last blog post: Heart Strings =-.

Oct 7 11:01 pm

2. Jane
    @seejane

We are liking Modern Family a LOT. Not so sure on Community… I think I had higher expectations.
    .-= Jane’s last blog post: The Ken Rome 5K =-.

Oct 7 11:07 pm

3. Uh, we’re still catching up on Lost, which we JUST started this past summer – currently in the midst of Season 4, so we may actually catch up with it all by the time the new season starts (in February or something?). We’ll see!

That’s really the only thing we’re watching now. I’d like to check out some of those new shows but it’s really not worth it… we won’t have time to watch them starting in less than a month! (which, EEK! *insert crazy spiral cartoon character eyes here*)
    .-= Melissa’s last blog post: think pink! =-.

Oct 7 11:46 pm

oooh so are you loving and hating Lost?? I find myself yelling at the tv and at the same time, I’m in awe of the writers. I just have to say that they BETTER make the ending worth it. It better not be some stupid dream someone’s having or something!

After Maggie was born, we went through a long dry spell of not watching tv, so I hear you on that :) You’re gonna be a *littlebit* busy here in a few weeks. HOLY CRAP!! :) :)

Oct 8 7:33 am

4. I keep hearing Glee is awesome, so I’m gonna have to catch a few episodes to see if I like it.

Man my DVR is CONSTANTLY recording stuff! My favorites right now….obviously the ones that have been on for awhile: Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, The Office, Desperate Housewives, Brothers and Sisters, CSI: NY, Law and Order SVU and So You Think You Can Dance. The new shows I’m liking are Flash Forward and Community. Wow, I sound like I have no life.
    .-= Rhona’s last blog post: Blah. =-.

Oct 8 12:26 am

OH MY GOSH. I can’t believe I forgot about Flash Forward!!! (this is what happens when I blog at night. Brain Farts.) We’re loving that one too, it has great potential. We’re suckers for end-of-the-world type stories.

And yes, when I list all the shows I watch, it’s moderately shocking. heh

Oct 8 7:35 am

• I’m a big fan of those types of stories as well! I was pleasantly surprised by how much I like it. It seemed like the commercials might have made it look better than it would be, but it IS good.
        .-= Rhona’s last blog post: Blah. =-.

Oct 8 8:51 pm

5. Amy

I love, love LOOOVE Glee, The Good Wife, Grey’s and Big Bang Theory. :D

Even though I’m watching the current Grey’s season, I also decided to watch from the beginning, since I just got into the show. I’m on episode 10 of season 2 and I’m finding myself just wanting to kick people’s BUTTS, even though I know what happens lol.
    .-= Amy’s last blog post: Insomnia Strikes Again =-.

Oct 8 6:40 am

6. Lea

I pretty much love everything you mentioned. My faves of the new shows are Glee and The Good Wife. I’ve added way too many shows to my lineup!
    .-= Lea’s last blog post: Recovery and the Zoo =-.

Oct 8 10:58 am

7. Mar

I expected more out of community. The commercials looked really funny but yeah. I don’t like the main characters. Everyone else is pretty awesome though. I’m a crazy fan of the office, so I get a glimpse of community now and then.
    .-= Mar’s last blog post: Zombieland Review =-.

Oct 8 12:28 pm

8. The only (ONLY) live TV I watch is sports. We don’t have a DVR, so that pretty much means we don’t watch TV. Like you, we use it to unwind at night, but instead of DVR we do Netflix. Right now we’re watching Kenshin (anime), Quantum Leap, and any various movies we get.
    .-= Laura’s last blog post: your little last-season prada shoes =-.

Oct 8 2:49 pm

9. Mel
    @overdramaticmel

I need to catch up on Glee, and have no interest right now in The Good Wife, but all the others? I’m SO loving right now! Dan made me watch Cougar Town…and you’re right…no awards, but still funny!

Oct 8 8:10 pm