July 14, 2009
Our real estate agent took the lockbox off of our front door yesterday. So I guess this means we’re moving! HOLY CRAP.
We have spent the last few weeks dealing with home inspections- on both the new house and our current house- and woo boy was that fun! And suspenseful!
First there were some cracks in the concrete block wall in the basement of the new house that we wanted to get checked out by a structural engineer. Turns out, everything is fine, that will be $350, please! Maggie puked on the sidewalk outside the house while we were there, just for fun. She sure knows how to have a good time, that kid.
Then there was the not-so-minor issue of CARBON MONOXIDE leaking from our furnace in our current house. You know, good old CO gas, awesome! Thankfully a) it was such a small amount that our regular detector didn’t even register it from 3 feet away and b) it’s summer so the furnace isn’t running this time of year anyway. But. It needs to be fixed for the new owners. The issue for a few days was that the furnace is a little old, so there was a question as to whether or not we’d even be able to FIND the part that needed replaced. SUPER. So would it be a $300-$400 fix, or would it be Replace The Whole Damn Furnace Before Moving Out, Spending Thousands Of Dollars We’d Rather Spend On New Furniture And Stuff? We were on edge for a few days, waiting to hear. So exciting! Right? The good news came late last week, they found the part and it’ll be installed tomorrow morning. w00t! and w00t!
Some other minor things at our place- clean the gutters, trim back a tree, provide the receipt for the carpenter ant treatment we had done in June- and all that was finished up this week and all papers signed and sealed and delivered.
We are moving.
To celebrate, Dan and I spent 6 hours in the garage on Sunday while Maggie was at my parents’ house packing. WOO! Our garage is now half-filled with boxes and I’m parking in the driveway. I realized something weird, that I will never pull my car into the garage here again. THAT was a strange revelation.
Getting started with packing was actually kind of fun- exhausting and hot and gross because there were spider webs and bugs, ew!- but we managed to have a good time and laugh a little bit throughout the process. We even laughed when Dan tried to burn down the 1952 MG Midget* we have in our garage. He had just finished mowing the grass while I was taping up and labeling boxes, and he pulled the lawn mower a little too close to the vinyl car cover. After a minute or two, we both smelled something burning and saw smoke… the something-or-other on the lawn mower (I know lots of things about lawn mowers!) that gets really hot was touching the cover and melted a huge hole in it. Awesome.
Do you think our buyers would still want our house if we accidentally burned it down?
(*The MG is Dan’s car, a gift from his grandma. It doesn’t run, but with some TLC it possibly could and we’re not entirely sure what our plans are for it. So since our new house has a 3-car garage, it’s coming with us.)
Nearly every weekend between now and the closing (there are only FOUR LEFT. gah!) we are booked with something: a birthday party, a trip to Kennywood, out-of-state family visiting. There is one weekend free, two weeks before we move, and that will be Final Packing Weekend. The one where our walls become bare and we have to resort to eating off of paper plates and using Dixie Cups. And ordering lots of pizza for dinner. And doing laundry every other day because 90% of our clothes are packed. And playing the same game with Maggie 24/7 because all of her toys are packed. And watching the same DVD with her over and over again because the rest of her movies are packed.
So during these next 4 or 5 weeks, if I start to sound like I’m losing my mind? IT’S BECAUSE I AM.