that thing in Chicago

So in case you haven’t heard, there’s some big thing going on in Chicago this week. Something about a bunch of women (and a few men!) bloggers, getting together for some parties and maybe some talks about All Things Internet.

And if you’re like me, you’re kicking yourself for not buying tickets back in February.

My decision process about going to BlogHer went a bit like this: ZOMG I’m so goinnnnggg!! ZOMG!!!1! Then: Nah, I don’t think I can do it this year, it’s so pricey for plane tickets and hotel and I just don’t know if I’ll be able to do it. Then: DUDE I CAN STAY WITH MY BLOGGIE FRIEND SAMANTHA, she lives in Chicago and offered, and OMG she’s awesome and I’m totally doing it! Then: I’m a dork and I’m scared to go meet all these awesome bloggers who won’t even know who I am. I’m totally not going. Then: Who cares if I don’t know anyone? I’m a grown up! I can meet new people! The BurghMoms are nice, and I was nervous about that, look how good that turned out? Then: TOO CHICKEN. NOT GOING. Plus everyone I know in real life will look at me like I have three heads when I tell them I’m getting a plane to go party with people I’ve never actually met before.

Well… you get the idea. By the time I went around and around the circle of Non-Decision Making, it was too late. Then I told myself I was cool with that and I didn’t WANT to go, none of the sessions seemed to grab my interest, and it was an awful lot of money for just some cocktail parties, right?

And really, as bummed as I am to read everyone’s Tweets today about traveling to the conference and wishing I could be on my way right along with them, I KNOW that it’s better now that I’m not going. DUDE. We’re moving three weeks from today. Not to mention that little thing I run called A Business. Plus Dan started a new job back in the winter and doesn’t even have vacation time, so there would have been nobody to watch Maggie for me anyway. So really, if I WAS on my way to Chicago right now, I’d be losing my ever-loving mind with everything else I have going on.

Right? RIGHT??!!?

Please tell me I’m right. Because boo :( I wanna go to the party!

If I’m not eleventy billion months pregnant next summer, I’m SO GOING.

Unless I chicken out again.

1. Dave P.
    @davidpryke

You are right. Especially since you *are* moving in a few weeks, have a toddler without free & easy week-long daycare, and so on and so forth. Plus, there’s always PodCamp Pittsburgh this fall, which I’ve never been to, but I’ve heard is a great, somewhat similar, conference that’s free!

I usually chicken out of events that involve other people, especially when those aren’t people that I already, you know, LIVE with, or at least work alongside… I’m trying to break that trend tonight by going to Summer Slam VIII at Finnegan’s Wake. (I almost chickened out of it, but then I tweeted that I was going, trying to commit to it. So, I should be there.)

Um, anywho…

Jul 23 2:54 pm

Dan and I are talking about coming to PodCamp! I don’t think we’ll chicken out either… heh. If we don’t go, it would be mostly due to Toddler Babysitting Issues.
      .-= Jen’s last blog post: that thing in Chicago =-.

Jul 23 2:56 pm

2. samantha jo campen
    @samanthajcampen

I’m sad you’re not here too. But yeah, you’d be cracking up with the move and everything if you had to plan for this too and frankly, I would be ill-equipped to handle such an emotional crisis in my home that wasn’t toddler-related.

I’ll take pictures for you!!!!
    .-= samantha jo campen’s last blog post: Like Jaws, but cuter =-.

Jul 23 2:54 pm

LOL would it help if I stamped my feet and flung myself to the floor in a tantrum? Would you be able to handle that? :) Have soooo much fun, and good luck plugging LiveWellSpendWell!!!! (tell them all about the AWESOME blog designer you hired, ha)

Jul 23 2:57 pm

3. Amanda
    @shameleslysassy

I think you should go next summer pregnant or not. I’m for sure going next summer. I had a very similar battle to yours with myself over going this year. When I finally wanted to go, it was sold out. I’m buying my ticket this year the first day they open up. Then, I’ll just sell it someone else if I decided not to go. Lesson learned.

I’m so wishing I was in Chicago right now.
    .-= Amanda’s last blog post: Redhead Girl =-.

Jul 23 2:57 pm

Oh I’d still go pregnant, just depends on *how* pregnant. We don’t have any immediate plans for getting me knocked up… but after we get settled in the house, we might change our minds and just go for it (GAH!) But if I’m 8 months or more, depending on where it is, I don’t know if I’d be allowed! So I guess as long as I’m not pregnant by December? :) You can be my roommie!!!!!

Jul 23 2:59 pm

• Amanda
        @shameleslysassy

Just read on BlogHer that BlogHer ’10 is in NYC! I just squeed for the first time ever! Tickets are already on sale and the Hilton is open for reservations on August 7th. I’m so excited! (as if that wasn’t indicated by the amount of exclamation points that I have used.)
        .-= Amanda’s last blog post: Redhead Girl =-.

Jul 24 11:50 am

4. The tantrum thing is great. We were at the library pool party last night and our friend’s little girl was going to throw a tantrum but stopped when she realized throwing herself on the “ground” meant going under the water in the baby pool. It was classic.

You already know what I think about the conference (although it would have been easier to leave it here! HA! Damn Twitter.)

Jul 23 3:23 pm

5. I would never get on a plane myself.

If it was BlogFam – maybe I’d consider going with Dan and Heidi in tow :P

Jul 23 3:54 pm

6. Crystal
    @kidthingsnet

I’m trying not to be depressed/discouraged with all the BLOGHER WHOO! mania that is sweeping internetland right now, but damn. It’s kinda hard. I keep telling myself my daughter’s birthday is tomorrow (OMG) for crying out loud. Still, every now and then I kinda get an inkling to drive 3 hours and crash the thing. Although I don’t really know anyone and that’s what stops me.
    .-= Crystal’s last blog post: Have You Met Ralph? =-.

Jul 23 4:11 pm

7. I’ve been to BlogHer once, and I say you’re right. Although you’d have more fun because you’d know more people, I’m guessing.

Jul 23 4:54 pm

8. I’m so jealous too (I think it would be easier to be indifferent if twitter hadn’t exploded with BlogHer excitement), but alas, I didn’t have the indecision circle to stop me, I knew point blank that I wasn’t going to be able to afford a trip half way around the world. Sigh! :)
    .-= Elly’s last blog post: Making Bolivia (Hopefully!) a Little Bit Brighter =-.

Jul 23 7:18 pm

Yikes, yes that would definitely be quite a trip! I was contemplating driving actually- it’s only about 8 hours or so in the car from where I live. But yes flying halfway around the world would require MUCH dedication! :)

Jul 23 7:25 pm

9. Your moving is definitely a Big Enough Deal to miss this for. Maybe next year!

I kind of wish I’d gone, but my intuition about being knocked up and not having extra money were both right, as it turns out. But I still got to see you AND Janet AND Stephanie this year anyway, which was awesome enough! I don’t know if I could handle more awesome than that in my fragile emotional state. :)
    .-= Melissa’s last blog post: midsummer madness =-.

Jul 23 8:34 pm

10. Caity
    @caitysparkles

Aw, I think that would be so much fun to go to. I would love to go to a big thing with lots of bloggers!!
    .-= Caity’s last blog post: The Vegan Debate? =-.

Jul 24 10:50 am