discoveries

Moving is a good time to go through your Stuff and purge. We’ve been in our house for 5 years, which really isn’t all that long- but definitely long enough to accumulate a lot of crap. And when you have a kid, the Stuff seems to multiply on its own.

It’s overwhelming, The Stuff. And honestly, we don’t have that much… or at least, when I hear other people talk about Their Stuff, I don’t think we have that much Stuff. Because of a serious lack of storage space in the house, we’ve gone through several purging sessions over the years, giving away clothes that don’t fit, books we’ve read, lamps that are broken, etc. But still. Lots Of Stuff is still left.

I started packing today, for real. Boxes everywhere, armed with packing tape, a black sharpie, and determination. I didn’t get very far (I did have a toddler ‘helping’ me for the first part of the morning, so you can imagine how productive that was.) but I did get most of the basement and laundry room sorted and about 10 boxes packed and taped. (Then I ran out of tape. And energy.) I also have a few boxes of books for the library, some CDs (anyone know a place north of Pittsburgh that takes used CDs?), and clothes for Good Will.

Aside from purging Stuff, moving is a fun time to rediscover. Wanna know what I rediscovered today?

My prom dress.

And guess what?

2009-07-09 Prom Dress

IT STILL FITS!

(Please ignore the hair and no makeup. I’d just spent about 3 hours in the basement digging in cobwebs and boxes.)

Here I am wearing the same dress in 1997 (and yes, that’s Dan.):

1997 - Mars Prom

Now, my boobs are a little bit… um… larger than they were when I was 18, and I’m a little curvier than I was then (oh hai, Motherhood!) but dude. It fits. I zipped it up and could breathe and everything! There were a few tense moments when I thought it might not happen (trying to zip up ANY dress yourself is a challenge, really.) but I got it zipped and I straightened up and… dude.

It fits.

Now I just need someone to ask me to the dance. I’m so totally ready.

1. Candace
    @girlhaq

AWESOME! If that isn’t the BEST self confidence booster, I don’t know what is!

Jul 9 3:13 pm

2. I think there is a book store across 19 from the McCandless Target that will take your CDs. If not, doesn’t Goodwill take them, too?

Oh my! So awesome! **applause**

Jul 9 3:14 pm

3. TTG

You look amazing!!
    Congrats. I’m very afraid to try my prom dress on.

Jul 9 3:21 pm

4. red pen mama
    @redpenmamapgh

You? One hot mama! I love it.

ciao,
    rpm

Jul 9 3:28 pm

5. Isn’t that an awesome feeling? You look great!! I bet Dan would totally ask you out again. ;)

I gave my dresses away from senior Homecoming and Prom and a couple college formals… they were size 14’s, and after losing 40lb and getting down to a size 8 in 2004-05, the dresses were way too big! So I tried them on one last time and pulled them on WITHOUT ZIPPING. It was fun. :)

Now if I can just get back into my regular clothes after baby #2, I’ll be happy…

Jul 9 3:33 pm

ha that’s a great feeling too, I’m sure! :) And I have no doubts that after Baby #2 comes, you’ll be back to your hot self in no time, you are SO much more disciplined with the exercise than I am!

Jul 9 4:59 pm

6. You look amazing!!!

Jul 9 3:51 pm

7. I can totally imagine your joy!
    About 100 years ago, I tried on my grade 9 graduation dress and it fit. 100 years ago though. That baby is now sitting in MY MOM’S BASEMENT because I don’t want to even THINK about how many calories I’d have to cut and excessive hours of working out, and (OH HAVING A BABY?) would need to be done before I can even think about squishing my fat ass in there now hehe :P

So, I’ll just smile for you. You must feel great. :)

Jul 9 4:57 pm

8. Wooo! If my prom dresses fit me, i would seriously wear them EVERYWHERE!

Jul 9 6:02 pm

9. LOVE it! I tried on my prom dresses a few months ago when we redid our closet – mine fit, too. My boobs have NOT gotten bigger since then, but my hips have… back then I was so tiny and the dresses are skintight. So I most likely would never wear them. I still love them, though!

Jul 9 6:12 pm

10. I really, seriously, think you and Dan should go out on a date with you in that dress and relive your Prom!

Jul 9 7:55 pm

11. That is WAY cool!!! I never thought about trying mine on. It is at my parents. But maybe next time I am there I will. Of course, my dress is from 1985 and that was 3 kids ago, so I am not expecting to be posting a photo of myself in it anytime soon. LOL! (Plus it was the ugliest thing EVER.)

Jul 9 8:19 pm

12. Jennnifer
    @3weasels

Fabulous! So what is the fate of the prom dress – will it be making the move?

Jul 9 8:58 pm

oh yes! I figure I can use it someday for a Halloween costume or something- ‘prom queen’ or something ;) hehe

Jul 9 9:06 pm

13. Jane
    @seejane

sweet dress! I fit into mine a few years ago, after not fitting in them for a while, but I doubt anymore…

As for Used CDs. I donated a bunch to CourageCenter which (I think) is a home for disabled people. places like that take all that stuff and give you a receipt…

Jul 9 10:01 pm

14. This is so cute that you guys went to prom togethor.

You should make a special just you and him meal at home…

and surprise him by wearing it again!

especially being all curvy and stuff.. hahaha..

you look great, and yeah for packing! lucky.

Jul 9 11:27 pm

15. Caity
    @caitysparkles

Oh my gosh you look amazing! I bet that is a great feeling! Have fun packing!

Jul 10 12:41 am

16. Allison
    @AllisonB

Woo! Way to go! You look great!

Jul 10 8:36 am

17. Uh, you are hotter now than you were then. Like, WOAH! And woooohooooo!

Half Price Books buys CDs, by the way. They don’t pay much, but they do buy them.

Jul 10 9:42 am

18. Woo – that’s awesome! :)

Jul 10 6:37 pm

19. Awesome! I think prom dresses are great indicators to see whether or not one needs to hit a gym…ahaha, you’re good =]

Jul 11 8:06 pm