life with a toddler

Maggie has developed a habit of removing her shoes and socks every time we get in the car. This means that while we’re out running errands, at each stop, I have to put them back on for her. Not only that, but I have to lean over her mammoth carseat, searching for two socks and two shoes among the various things in the backseat (diapers, wipes containers, sippy cups, snack bags, etc) It makes errand-running extremely fun! I can’t wait for sandal weather. I even ask nicely that she not take them off when I hear the tell-tale sound of the velcro from her shoes, but she just grins an evil grin and keeps going.

Last night, Dan was watching her while I caught up on some work (thanks to the short, 30-minute nap she took yesterday, good-bye productive afternoon!) While I was at my desk, she ran over to me, pulled down my face, gave me a kiss, and said ‘Love you Mommy!’ And then I died from The Cute.

Yesterday morning, I foolishly thought I could answer a few emails while she was occupied with her coloring books and Elmo. Then I turned around and saw black crayon all over her face and in her teeth. I had to BRUSH HER TEETH to get it out. Then I turned further around and saw this:

was trying to work. crayon on our tv grr on Twitpic

Black crayon, all over our (EXPENSIVE!) television. Thankfully the crayons are washable so it came off with just water and a paper towel. Thank you, Crayola. But still. KID. ENOUGH WITH THE CRAYONS.

Today while we were playing outside, she was pulling dandelions out of the ground- the ones with the white puffy seed pods ready to fall off- and making me blow them away. Then she tried one herself- and actually put it IN her mouth. I didn’t actually see her do it, but she turned around to me with her mouth open, her upper and lower lips completely coated with white, fluffy seeds. Trying not to laugh, I calmly told her to keep her mouth open and I was able to wipe them all clean. And then I laughed.

She is starting to talk A LOT and she’s picking up a ton of very subtle conversational things that adults around her say. They’re all harmless, but HILARIOUS coming from a 2-year old. “Guys guys, sssshhhh!” And also: “Settle down!” (this one is complete with motioning with her hands, up and down in front of her) One of my favorites this week is when she starts to walk away (usually to get a toy or her shoes or something else I ask for) and then she’ll stop, turn around, hold out 1 finger and say “Right back!” and nods, then goes on her way.

She also tells us that the music is ‘TOO LOUD!’ My kid is 80 years old, apparently.

Another car-habit she has lately is putting her feet on the back of the passenger seat. She just recently became tall enough to do this. The other day, she had removed both her socks and shoes and started kicking the back of the seat again. We were at a red light, so I took the opportunity to turn around and sternly explain to her that we do not kick the seats and she needed to move her feet RIGHT NOW. She stared at me, and slowly lifted her toes so that her feet weren’t actually touching the seat- just resting about 1/2 inch away. I turned around, but watched out of the corner of my eye. Sure enough, she slowly moved her toes back so they were touching the seat. I turned around, and she snapped her toes back again. This repeated several times. It would be funny if it weren’t so infuriating.

She has entered the ‘What’s That?’ phase of life. I’m sure the ‘Why?’ phase is just around the corner… but for now, it’s ‘What’s that?’ ‘What’s that?’ ‘What’s that?’ every 2.4 seconds. Half the time, I don’t even know what she’s pointing at, so I just guess. Hopefully I’m not confusing the poor kid too much, heh.

Every time I pick her up at daycare, she leaps from the chair or from my aunt’s arms or jumps up from whatever toy she’s playing with and runs to me, squealing and giggling, and dives into my arms and gives me the best hug ever.

She sings the ABCs in a duet with me now. For all of her craziness and non-listening and Being Two Years Old, I love this kid.

1. ambitions mrs

May 8, 2009 11:23 pm

Check check and check. Lily does all this stuff (well not color on the TV, hopefully she won’t do that). It’s funny how life with them right now is like this constant swing between adorable and infuriating. But really those kisses, make it all worth it I think!

2. mel

May 8, 2009 11:39 pm

aw…. : )

PS: i like your minimalist theme. :)

3. Dave P.

May 8, 2009 11:46 pm

Wow! We could have written this post (if we were as articulate in our post development as you are, that is!)

Abby is spot on with each of those, but as she is a few months older than Maggie, she got to each stage a few months ago.

From the first sentence, to the “Right back!” to kicking the seat in the car, to the “What’s that?,” to the running to us at the end of a day at daycare; we love it all about our girl, too. Abby is just starting into an occasional “Why?” now.

Thanks for writing this post; we really should get on top of our blog for Abby…you and BurghBaby (and AllisonB and Melissity and so many others) with kids near ours are our joy and inspiration – we hope to live up to all your blogs sometime soon!

Thanks again!

May 9, 2009 8:38 am

This is the first ‘Maggie’ post I’ve done in a while, I wish I could remember to write them more often! I’m sure there are a million things I’m forgetting that she does. As I’m sure you’ve experienced- it seems like every day brings constant new ‘stuff’ and keeping track of it all is impossible!

4. Crystal

May 8, 2009 11:52 pm

The crayon thing is why I’ve just recently let Ethan color. I feel like I’ve been depriving him, but I know how he is and I remember his brother scribbling ALL OVER the walls. I don’t want to go through that again. Even now, I only give him 1 or 2 crayons and I watch him like a hawk.

May 8, 2009 11:58 pm

Yeah, we have the feet on the backs of the front seats problem too – except Oliver does NOT take his shoes off, so he gets dirt all over the seats. George and I have started to curse ourselves for not splurging on leather seats, which would probably be a lot easier to wipe off.

I love all the little sayings she is picking up… so cute. And kisses and ‘I love yous’ definitely make up for all the less sweet parts of Being Two Years Old. :)

May 9, 2009 8:41 am

This kind of stuff is exactly why we got leather! It’s funny because leather to me seems so ‘fancy’ and to say we got it because of kids seems backwards, ha. But it does wipe off easier than cloth!

And yes the kisses definitely help! :)

6. kirida

May 9, 2009 2:07 am

My son does the same thing with the kicking the back of my seat. My car is so small though, so he could likely wrap his legs around my neck and choke me if he didn’t get his sippy cup quickly enough.

Also Maggie is just getting more and more adorable!

7. Andrea

May 9, 2009 7:17 am

I Love the “Right back” thing! But they seem so OLD when they start doing things like that! :)

I remember when Kylie was almost 3, I was babysitting my goddaughter (who was colicky.) I walked into Kristy’s house with a screaming 3 month old, at the end of my rope. Kristy was relieved to trade me- she said, “I’ll take the screaming baby, if you answer ‘The Whys’ for the next three hours.” It was a deal, and I think she really needed the break as much as I did! :)

May 9, 2009 8:43 am

ha that is funny! I remember that baby and how fussy she was, ‘The Whys’ must have been bad for Kristy to be willing to take that baby on!!

8. Andrea

May 9, 2009 7:19 am

Also, I just remembered…. Maggie has stinky feet! Yuck for taking her shoes off all the time! ;)

9. Jane

May 9, 2009 8:24 am

I think I would freak if I saw the crayon on the TV! yikes!

Maria doesn’t like loud things either. “Truck loud, Mommy. Scary”

10. Caity

May 9, 2009 9:47 am

Oh my gosh she is sooooo adorable! I love her ABC’s. All of those little infuriating things must be annoying but they sure make for funny stories later!

11. Karl

May 9, 2009 2:42 pm

Our older girl did the taking-off of the shoes thing too, which was wildly annoying. Fortunately for me, she started doing it in winter, not spring! I warned her that if she insisted on removing her shoes, she was going to have to walk inside in her bare feet. She did, and then she did, and then there was no more of the removing of shoes!

(I think my wife was a little horrified at the time, but it WAS effective.)

12. Noelle

May 10, 2009 5:11 am

Oh my gosh what a doll. I can totally picture all the things you’re talking about, my little sister and nieces all went through those phases. It’s adorable when they start talking and start expressing themselves in the most funny ways. Cute!

13. Steph

May 11, 2009 2:27 pm

Heidi was doing that “shoe” thing almost all winter and up until about the last few weeks or so. We would try to convince her to keep her shoes on by telling her that if she keeps them on in the car, then we will let her walk when we get out (instead of carrying her inside, wherever we were headed). It worked sometimes. Not always. But for the most part, I think it was a phase, and hopefully she’s past it now :)

14. Allison

May 11, 2009 9:35 pm

That video is so sweet!

Toddlerhood is rough. Why do they insist on doing so many things they shouldn’t? Gah! The shoes and socks off in the car thing is awful: Alex has been taking his shoes off since he learned how.

Those things that she says? SO cute. Time for a video :)