bloggie road trip

I spent my weekend in Washington DC with Melissa and Janet. In a word, it was Fabulous. Not just because I had 3 days to myself without having to change someone’s diaper, find a sippy cup, or tell someone repeatedly, ‘No, Don’t Touch That, Please’.

It was Fabulous because these two girls are awesome. When I really think about it, it seems weird to me that we never met in person before now, yet we feel like we’ve known each other for years. Melissa and I met last year, but neither of us had ever met Janet in person. And when we knocked on her door earlier than we thought we would (No Traffic, FTW!) and she yelled out the door “You’re HERE! OMG, I haven’t showered yet!”, we all laughed and it was no big deal- just like it is with ‘normal’ real life friends. The transition seemed nearly seamless and completely natural.

The whole weekend was like that. When Janet’s cat peed on her couch, we all shared our Annoying Cat Pee Stories and Melissa and I sympathized with her… um… anger. When my stupid air mattress deflated in the middle of the night, Melissa shared the comforter from the guest bed so I’d have some cushion under me when it happened again on Night #2 (OMG THIS IS THE SECOND BRAND-NEW AIR MATTRESS THAT HAS DONE THIS. AEROBED, I’M COMING FOR YOU.) When we played Dirt on Friday night, it was like we were playing with old friends… and we definitely learned some fun secrets about each other ;) And the conversation was easy between Melissa and me during 4 1/2 hour drive down and back, which made it fun- even if it was raining the whole. freaking. time.

Janet was a great hostess. We made pizza for dinner, bought entirely too much food at the grocery store (HOW did we think we’d need 2 gallons of ice cream? ha), and made MockTails (Janet and I spiked ours later in the night, but Pregnant Melissa stuck with the fruit juice and fizzy soda!) On Saturday Janet took us on a whirlwind tour of our nation’s capital- it was such a fun day. We got to see the major attractions but still felt like we were mozy-ing along at a laid back pace. And I don’t think Janet minded too much being seen with two tourist-y camera dorks. ha

Janet and me

Janet hugging the column

Melissa and Janet

Janet & Melissa

Saturday night we went to dinner, then promptly came back for ice cream and lounging in our pajamas to watch pointless reality tv shows and chatting. At one point, we were lamenting the fact that Dirty Dancing would be fun to watch… AND THEN GUESS WHAT WAS ON ABC FAMILY? Oh Patrick Swayze, you made our night. Magical!

This blogging thing is often frustrating and overwhelming (lately I feel like I can barely keep up!) but it takes a weekend like this to remind me why I do it: the friendships. They are awesome.

Thank you girls for a fantastic weekend! Next time, I’ll give you a tour of the ‘Burgh!икони

1. So jealous! And so weird to see pictures of Janet on your blog. I thoroughly agree that Janet is a great hostess, glad you had so much fun!

May 5 11:10 pm

2. Corrie
    @iheartsnark

I love DC, it is the best. I am glad you had fun, that place is an endless possibility of fun!

May 6 8:26 am

3. I have a lot of … um … personal knowledge about DC. Too bad you didn’t look me up.

May 6 9:12 am

4. Allison
    @AllisonB

How fun!

That sucks about the aerobed, though! I would be so not amused if that happened in the middle of the night.

May 6 11:23 am

5. Priscilla
    @pgreen730

oh, I love the pictures! I have never been to DC but we might actually stop there on our way home from the beach! My brother lives like a half hour out of DC!
    Glad you had a good time and if they come to the Burgh for a tour, call me!

May 6 12:47 pm

6. Mel
    @overdramaticmel

Yay! Looks like you guys had an awesome time. :)

May 6 12:50 pm

7. Crystal
    @kidthingsnet

did you happen to catch a glimpse of Obama?

May 6 3:56 pm

8. janet
    @loveisblonde

Sadly we did not see Obama, but (I haven’t even told M and J this) I saw that Mr. and Mrs. Obama went on a walk that evening around the White House grounds, about 3 hours or so after we were there!

Thanks Jen, for taking photos and recapping, since I haven’t done it yet. And I totally agree – from the first (unshowered) moment it felt like we were old friends!

May 6 10:09 pm

DUDE! I can’t believe we missed them going for a walk. boo :(

May 8 11:46 pm

9. I agree, it was a great trip and I’m glad we finally got to hang out! Although I wasn’t kidding about all the food, I swear I saw a couple new stretch marks already… lol.

And after reading Janet’s comment, I am sooooo jealous now! Oh well, maybe next time. :)

May 6 10:21 pm

10. samantha jo campen
    @samanthajcampen

That makes me all warm and fuzzy. I love it when internet meetings happen like that. Seamless. Awesome.

Hope you meet YOU some day!!!

May 6 10:23 pm

11. Pingback: love is blonde | blog archives | life in bullets and links

12. Andrea
    @ajh_rigs

If you’re giving a kid-free tour of da ‘burgh, I’d love to be involved! I’ve been there hundreds of times, but have never actually seen some of the sights. I mean, I was up on Mt Washington when Tank lived there but I’ve never rode the incline, I’ve been downtown but never actually walked around, etc. (Plus, a kid-free weekend! I’d take advantage of that anytime!) :)

May 8 11:36 pm